Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Best time for 3/4D scan?

(9 Posts)
kirsty12321 Fri 02-Sep-11 13:42:06

I really want a 3 or 4D scan but was just wondering how many weeks people recommend having it done?
I'm 14 weeks Now and I am thinking of having one at around 17 weeks or around 28?

CollieandPup Fri 02-Sep-11 13:46:03

Oh Oh, i had mine on Weds at 28+3 it was fab! I would say 17 weeks is still early and you'll also be having (2d) scan at 20wks. I found having something to look forward to after that has been great. He/She will also be much bigger and its features better developed by 28 weeks.

Congratulations by the way! grin

Sandra2011 Fri 02-Sep-11 14:14:47

The best time to scan for this is around 26 weeks.

This is far enough into the pregnancy for the baby to have developed his or her facial features, but not so far that he or she is too curled up to see the face clearly.

barbie1 Fri 02-Sep-11 14:24:49

all my scans have been in 4d, which means the images are moving (private health care here in dubai wink) However we have a proper 'baby watching' session at 27 weeks which i was told was the best time. Any later and the baby is too big and you wont get the movements. Any earlier then it is really difficult to see clearly.

InMyPrime Fri 02-Sep-11 14:40:42

28 weeks would be fine. We had ours at 30 weeks and it was great. At 17 weeks, it would be much too early because the skin is still quite translucent and so it could look a bit creepy.

We had a standard ultrasound at 17 weeks and the view of the face was still very skeletal. I don't think I'd have wanted to see a 3D/4D version.

kirsty12321 Fri 02-Sep-11 15:18:08

I thought as much, I think I'm just being very impatient and want to find out the sex now!
Knowing my luck it would probably have it's legs crossed anyway and it would be a bit of a waste of money (although I would get to see the baby again!) And I would probably end up getting another one later through pure excitement! grin

Beesok Fri 02-Sep-11 15:21:54

We had one done at 28 weeks and because the dvd didn't work at home they rescanned us the week after again - both times we got great photos and the second dvd is great smile She was sucking her foot, touching her nose, yawning and making a "shh" gesture with her finger on her mouth smile
I would say not to do it so early at 17 wks - my friend did and she regretted as the baby is simply too skeletal at that point smile

Good luck and enjoy it - it's def. a nice memento to have and maybe show them when they are a little oldersmile

Sumi76 Fri 02-Sep-11 15:26:54

Best timeis between 28 and 32 weeks as suggested by books and by my midwife.

Sandra2011 Fri 02-Sep-11 15:27:34

www.beardmillclinic.com/3dscan.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now