Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sweeps at 37 weeks onwards, any experiences of this?

(18 Posts)
becks130 Fri 02-Sep-11 10:38:06

Hi all,

I've been told many different things by many different consultants but just wanted to know if they do actually decide to give me sweeps from 37 weeks what is the likelyhood of going into labour?

A little background for the reason for the sweeps:
- high blood pressure in previous pregnancy and was induced at 38 weeks.
- 2 previous big babies
- Sister had a stroke at 31 years old

thanks for any advice.

SchrodingersMew Fri 02-Sep-11 11:15:27

I don't think they normally sweep until 40 weeks unless your cervix is ready.

Mind you, this is coming from someone who is having a sweep at 37 weeks.... But I'm already 1cm dilated, Consultant thinks it will send me into labour, if not then being induced 2 days later.

Do you know you are having a sweep? Is it not more likely they will induce you?

becks130 Fri 02-Sep-11 11:23:20

I have no idea what they are wanting to do, I get told something different everytime however I spoke to the Dr this morning as I have now developed carpal tunnel syndrome and she has said that given my history and I also suffer from SPD that if I was happy to try a sweep at 37 weeks she doesn't have a problem with it as the baby is full term and my DD was 8lb 4 at 38 weeks!

SchrodingersMew Fri 02-Sep-11 11:27:14

Mines was only wanting to do a sweep because of my cervix, I'm assuming they will need to stretch you if yours isn't ready?

I hope it all goes well for you and most of the people I have known to have sweeps it has worked for them fairly quickly. smile

becks130 Fri 02-Sep-11 11:32:07

fingers crossed for us both smile

Kezzamo Fri 02-Sep-11 11:33:25

Hi Becks,

Having just returned from a sweep at 41 weeks I would suggest that it depends on if they can do it. My cervix is still "hard and long" making it virtually impossible. The consultant asked if I still wanted her to try which she did. She said that she doubts it will work as she could not get far enough into be effective and it hurt like hell. So really cervix not ready = pain and probably unsuccesful sweep.

Just depends if your body is ready or not. Mine is clearly not!!

Good luck

Liskey Fri 02-Sep-11 11:37:12

I had a sweep at 36 weeks - being induced due to pre-ecampsia (actually i had 2) they were extemely painful and in my notes midwife has queried why the docote was even attempting them as my cervix was no where near ready. So if it hurts like hell don't let them try again!

Good luck though - if you've already had one baby it may work better?

SchrodingersMew Fri 02-Sep-11 11:39:29

Becks Fingers crossed as well! When are you due?

SchrodingersMew Fri 02-Sep-11 11:39:44

Or sorry, when will you be 37 weeks?

Kezzamo Fri 02-Sep-11 12:18:44

Lisky,

I wish I had know that this am! I just thought I had to "man up" and take it! I had no idea it would probably be unsuccesful if it had had to hurt that much.........we live and learn.

Eating choc and wating telly to make myself feel better!

cheekydino Fri 02-Sep-11 12:33:00

Interesting to read - I have been offered internal exam and possible sweep at 37 weeks, as am booked for ELCS at 40 weeks due to previous bad experience birthing a prem 4 lb baby and complete terror of birthing large baby (which this one is!) - not sure if consultant has offered it for my benefit or to keep her cs numbers down! I'll make sure I find out what state my cervix is in before I let her attempt it after reading this. Anyone else had a similar quandary to mine?

Hope we all have positive births in the end, good luck everyone smile

becks130 Fri 02-Sep-11 14:31:03

SchrodingersMew I'm 33 weeks at the moment and baby dropped a couple of weeks ago so hopefully thats a good sign. This is actually my 3rd baby and with DS was 9 days over due and had 2 sweeps, he came the evening of the second one and had a sweep with DD at 37+ 5 weeks and had a show but no labour, i ended up having my waters broken at 38+2 weeks.

I think i'll see how I go and see if theres any point in them trying before i endure pain, the labour will be painful enough!

SchrodingersMew Fri 02-Sep-11 14:41:43

This is my first baby so was a bit shocked that I have started dilating a bit already!

You might be just as well asking them to induce you instead of sweeping you if it didn't work before. confused

Liskey Fri 02-Sep-11 21:35:49

ooh Kezzamo thats made me wince in sympathy!

Sounds like a sensible plan becks130 - Good luck again to you

sleepevader Fri 09-Sep-11 04:34:14

Just wondering if anyone else had any experienced as trying to avoid possible induction at 38 wks

josieangel Fri 09-Sep-11 11:14:17

I've just returrned from having a sweep at 38+6 (booked in for induction Monday due to extra fluid), and consultant was hoping to either start me off or at least make things more favourable for Monday.

Apparently my cervix is shortening (good thing?!) and was initially closed, but midwife managed to "pop" it open a little and stretch it, which she was happy with. The pain was definitely bearable,m so worth a go I thought.

Will wait and see whether it works now!!

banana87 Fri 09-Sep-11 14:27:45

They tried to sweep me at 38 weeks with DD as I had SPD but I wasn't favourable. However, in figuring out I wasn't favourable the midwife managed to loosen my plug and I had DD 4 days later smile

sleepevader Sun 11-Sep-11 02:48:22

Josie- keep us posted!

Bananas that's a good news story even if sweep wasn't possible !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now