Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

travel sickness bands to help morning sickness???

(24 Posts)
talktalktalk Fri 02-Sep-11 07:27:27

i am a great fan of trying new things and when it come's to morning sickness ( all day sickness in my case) i will try almost anything!!! a friend of mine was advised by a pregnant friend of her's to try pressure bands for motion sickness. so yesterday i placed my little sweat band looking wrist friends on and here we go to see if it helps at all. my question to you is- have you tryed this befor? has it helped anyone? or are you now like me going to rush out and get some in the hope's that once again you can feel well!?!? xx

ariane5 Fri 02-Sep-11 07:51:36

I had hyperemisis with all of my pgs and wore the bands every day, i like to think that it stopped it from getting any worse and i never wanted to take them off just in case as i felt so rubbish and thought that even if they helped a tiny bit then it was worth it!

a couple of my friend have tried them too and thought that they helped quite a bit so i think they are definately worth a go

good luck!

froggers1 Fri 02-Sep-11 07:54:58

Another one wearing them 24 7 although I hate that at work I have to wear long sleeves to cover them up.....I am not sure how well they work but don't want to take the risk with taking them off!

26minutes Fri 02-Sep-11 07:59:53

I tried it with DD, and I'm sorry to say all it did was cut off the circulation to my arm. The bit that digs in to your wrist really fucking hurt, I perservered with it for a couple of days, it did nothing at all to stop the sickness, just hurt like hell. It took a few days for the indents on my wrists to fade as well.

I know some people who found they helped and know others who found they had no effect. Fingers crossed it works for you.

GingerbreadGiraffe Fri 02-Sep-11 08:05:32

I found them quite useful. But I also had to cover them up as they are a massive give away!

You do need to get them exactly the right place though.

I'd suggest perservering with them

They worked brilliantly for me when I flew at 15wks. Sickness/nausea was gone but i usually feel quite travel sick and felt fine with them. Was really encouraging.

talktalktalk Fri 02-Sep-11 08:14:27

i think mine may be a little to big,i have adult size one's but kiddy sized wrists!! i shall keep on with them it could all be a placebo affect, but what can i say placebo's seem to work for me ( i choose to think its a mind over matter when it come's to placebo's) lucky for me with all the tattoos and the rock chic look little sweat bands seem to blend in,don't think anyone will even question why i have them on. xx

BikeRunSki Fri 02-Sep-11 08:23:58

Tried this in both pg. Hyperemisis in both pg. Wristbands didn't touch it. Nor did accupuncture. Or anything really. Roll on the next 8 weeks...

nannyl Fri 02-Sep-11 08:31:42

I also had (have) HG and tried those bands

they didnt do much really i dont think, but what did help ne a bit was acupncture and having semi-permenant needle plasters on my wrist. So id have a needle stuck in my wrists all the time. I had at least a month of acupuncture without needle plasters, and once i tried them, although there was no way i was cured, it was a lot better

its worked much much better than thise wrist bands

talktalktalk Fri 02-Sep-11 09:04:19

oooh needles in the wrists sound painfull :S but i guess if this don't work i will give the needles a go... it can't be more painfull than child birth...can it ;) xx

nannyl Fri 02-Sep-11 09:09:36

promise they really didnt hurt at all. They are very very very fine.

though they might twinge if i lifted a heavy bag or something. (answer = dont lift heavy stuff, but not ouchy pain, more like bashing funny bone pain)

also both of my acupuncturists (they worked in same clinic) didnt realise you could use these (hence for a month we didnt) but one was talking to another acupuncture friend, who suggested it. You can use them but it seems quite a few were unaware, so ask and suggest it, if they dont smile

talktalktalk Fri 02-Sep-11 09:20:39

i guess it makes sense if the pressure is not enought to ease it then internal pressure from a needle woud be more affective!! looks like acupuncture will be next on my list to try smile thanks for the advise.xx

Jezzabell Fri 02-Sep-11 09:43:18

I used travel sickness bands and found they really helped. I got cheap ones from ebay as didn't want to shell out £8 in Boots in case they didn't work. I made a point of taking them off in the evening and found I'd need to put them on first thing in the morning, but i think they helped. I wasn't actually sick once and the nausea was bearable, but I don't know if I was just lucky. I've found that applying pressure with my finger to the wrist point has stopped me feeling sick (travel sick/hangover sick) in the past, so perhaps I'm the sort of person they work for. The ones i had were velcro so you could adjust the tightness. They didn't look that good, but I did not care as they helped me!

Sandra2011 Fri 02-Sep-11 10:12:31

Simply no.

I've spoken with GP and MW regarding this and they say it's more like a mental thing. Some people think it helps but there is no medical proof.

nannyl Fri 02-Sep-11 10:32:39

but does it matter if you think it helps?

The days i had my needle plasters in a vomitted less than those i didnt (couldnt keep them in all the time).
having them in meant i actually could keep enough fluid in me, so i didnt have to go back to hospital for more IV fluids.

i dreaded taking them out and yes i was sick more once they were out, but i certainly didnt want to be. and for me the 24 hours after acupuncture were much worse sickness wise, until i used these plasters. mentaly i always expected it to be better, but the reality was that it wasnt.... what i thought would happen didnt,

there are other points on your leg you can use aswell. get your acupuncturist to show you where they are smile

Sandra2011 Fri 02-Sep-11 10:37:45

I've tried it and it didn't work with me...

Wrigglebum Fri 02-Sep-11 18:56:02

My morning sickness started disappearing at 10 weeks after I got some bands, but no idea if it was just a coincidence. They have helped with travel sickness in the past.
Am now 4 weeks pregnant and just starting to feel a bit queasy so have popped them on and will see. Even if it is a placebo effect that can still be very powerful.

talktalktalk Sat 03-Sep-11 08:12:04

ooh wrigglebum i'm 4 weeks too!! i'v had a constant feeling of nausea for 2 weeks now sad althow i do also seem to have a very swollen abdomen ( and a couple of other things) for so early on. are you changing in shape yet? xx

Wrigglebum Sat 03-Sep-11 14:01:31

Mine started yesterday evening and had the bands on until this morning. Have been eating well today (including a biscuit before I got up) and feel mostly ok.
No swollen tummy but my boobs are so sore I've abandoned all my pretty underwired bras in favour of comfy sports bras.

mrswillywonka Sat 03-Sep-11 18:31:31

I used them and found they helped. It made everyone at work guess I was pregnant but I didn't care so long as they eased the sickness. Give them a go.

kiki22 Sat 03-Sep-11 18:41:12

Some people say it's all in your head they work but the way i see it if it's all in your head who care as long as it worked... i grew rather attatched to mine

talktalktalk Tue 06-Sep-11 12:33:14

i tryed them 24/7 for 4 day's and i have to say as much as i was sure they would work....they did nothing sad i'm doinf the eating every 2 hours, can only eat thing's my brain tell's me are o.k!! i suppose a couple more months of this is well worth the end resut!! i'm off to the doc's tomorrow to make it all official :D and voice my concernes that there may be more than 1 in there again!!! xx

justabigdisco Tue 06-Sep-11 19:04:58

they did naff all for me.

Mum2be79 Tue 06-Sep-11 20:08:39

Love them!!!

I get travel sick ALL THE TIME and when I went to Madeira (VERY hilly, mountainous and trecherous roads) I wore them all the time I was travelling and was never sick once. I loved them so much that when I got back, the odd occasion when my morning nausea returned, I popped them on and was fine the rest of the day. In fact, sitting typing away with them on. I forgot they were there!!!

Tinkerisdead Tue 06-Sep-11 20:13:10

I love mine. Im 17 weeks pregnant and ditched them about two weeks ago. I felt far more sick this time than I did with DD and it was about 8/9 weeks in that DH reminded me I'd worn them before. They def help me. I never took them off, I have two pairs so that I can bathe in them and swap the wet ones for dry! It may be psychosymatic but it helped me a lot. They also work for me travel sickness wise too. My friend calls them my twat bands as they make me look a twat! and they are a give away, my SIL guessed I was pregnant as she saw them early on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now