Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Unfit mum doing aerobic classes, can I continue ?

(6 Posts)
CareToProveIt Thu 01-Sep-11 23:06:22

Unfit mum trying to improve fitness level, so doing three aerobic classes a week. Also TTC, how long can I continue the classes if I get pregnant ? Bearing in mind I am terrible at doing the classes but try very hard and have got fitter in the last few months.

chuckeyegg Thu 01-Sep-11 23:29:41

Speak to the instructors they will be able to advise you on whether it's a good idea. I found aqua aerobics better when I was pregnant.

justhayley Fri 02-Sep-11 08:02:16

My mum was an aerobic instructor and she continued teaching till a week before she gave birth with my baby brother (now 6ft & not much of a baby)! obviously her body was used to it so it was fine. I think u have to listen to ur body and if u feel ok then carry on - just stay away from doing any cruches or abs work and drink more water than u usuay would. when u can't do anymore your body will let u no ur done!

Saffra Fri 02-Sep-11 15:38:05

It's likely that your fitness level will have improved quite significantly by the time you are pregnant, so your body will be used to the physical exertion by then! Obviously listen to your body and get advice from the midwife too, if you are unsure. As others mention, the aerobics teacher will also be able to advise on any exercises that need to be adapted for pregnancy.

JambalayaCodfishPie Fri 02-Sep-11 19:02:44

From an instructors point of view, if you have been a regular at my classes and I know your capabilities, I would allow you to continue. I would not allow someone new and pregnant to start my classes.

Pregnant women are not supposed to do any floor exercises that involve being on your back for more than 1 minute - so this rules out classes such as 'legs, bums and tums' - where sit ups and other such exercises are a large component.

If you are attending classes such as 'Body Pump', you may be advised to do the routine at the lowest weight (and maybe only using the bar - without any weights)

As you progress you may find higher impact classes impossible - I would advise you then either swap to something such as aqua-natal, or do aerobics routines purely at the 'lower options' - no jumping, mainly stepping etc.
HTH

CareToProveIt Sat 03-Sep-11 13:52:52

Thanks I will talk to the teacher

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now