Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Newly pregnant...... Very scared!!!

(5 Posts)
Clareabella16 Thu 01-Sep-11 22:29:26

I've just found out im pregnant literally a few hours ago. Im extremely scared and freaking out. I've been with my partner for 7 years and we're very happy together. But We're 24 is this too young??!! I also have no idea what to do next? When do I go to the doctors, tell work, tell people etc. I need some advice please Xxx

SenoritaViva Thu 01-Sep-11 22:34:45

Firstly congratulations! It is NOT abnormal to feel petrified. 24 is not 'too young', I am sure you'll be fine. You might need to make a few new friends who'll want to talk babies with you and yes, your life will change hugely but the positives always outweigh the negatives.

Call your GP surgery. They will see you anytime really but at about 6 weeks is probably good. They'll give you a special medical folder relating to all pregnancy and birth notes and tell you when to have a midwife appointment.

First scan at 12 weeks.

Don't tell work yet, tell people when you feel like it. I told mine early, it just felt right and I thought that if something went wrong I'd want their support. But I waited to tell the majority of work, but I didn't have morning sickness (I told my boss who had become a close friend so she'd know if I was a bit under par). The thing is, it's your news, your baby the best bit is you get to choose!

SenoritaViva Thu 01-Sep-11 22:36:00

But on another note, if you're feeling utterly hideous then I would tell your line manager so that they can be understanding... Also if you have a job that is manually strenuous etc. then it might be advisable (you'll need a risk assessment etc.)

Meglet Thu 01-Sep-11 22:41:40

Congratulations smile.

You should take folic acid tablets or pregnancy vitamins.

Get the apt with your GP / midwife pencilled in.

If you are unlucky enough to get bad morning sickness there are tablets you can safely take for it.

And see if there is a MN ante-natal thread already going for the month you are due. Lots of mums on there will be on their second or third (or more) child so will be able to give you lots of advice.

kangers Thu 01-Sep-11 22:49:10

I got pregnant at your age and felt really worried. Then I had a miscarriage at 11 weeks and was so keen to get pregnant you can not imagine.
Had DS1 at 25 years and great- now 41 and 3 kids later we are seeing light at the other end of the tunnel.
Do not be scared- its great- and you will have so much more energy!!
Congrats- go on a babyclothes website!!
I second all serious advice above too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now