Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is a HB of 10 low?

(19 Posts)
banana87 Thu 01-Sep-11 18:15:59

Consultant just phoned and said my Hb results are 10.4, which is "on the low side, but normal for 28 weeks". Just wondering if anyone has experienced similar and did iron work?

banana87 Thu 01-Sep-11 18:17:14

God. Pregnancy brain. Haemaglobin that should be.

pinkytheshrinky Thu 01-Sep-11 18:17:25

I think that 10.5 is a bit grey area - any lower and they would treat it i think - they are not just looking at the Hb they are looking at the stores you have as well so if they are fine they will leave it

Imnotaslimjim Thu 01-Sep-11 18:19:03

Yes that is on the low side of normal - normal is around 12. Anything below 9 can require infusion of iron

Iron tablets do have some success, just make sure you ask for lactulose while you're there, iron tablets have some pretty terrible side effects. And don't be astonished by the black poo either

Northernlurkerr Thu 01-Sep-11 18:20:16

Mine was higher than that but I know it's lowish but not seriously so. Do you feel ok?

pinkytheshrinky Thu 01-Sep-11 18:20:18

oooh the black poo <shudders.

Jesus, I came on here thinking the heartbeat was 10 and wondering WTF you were doing posting!!
I've just had my baby and my blood tests after my CS came back at 10.4 for hgb; they said the limit (I guess for this Trust) is 10.5, but they haven't given me iron tablets, they're happy my diet is good and I'm taking bf vitamins. So they might just advise that. Drink OJ as the vitamin c helps you process iron from your diet.

justhe1 Thu 01-Sep-11 18:25:53

Not bad, nothing that a bit of iron wont sort...but take heed of the lactulose advice, really does make you constipated.

Sandra2011 Thu 01-Sep-11 18:26:04

At 28 weeks the diagnostic level for anaemia is an Hb level of <10.5.

Good article: www.patient.co.uk/doctor/Anaemia-In-Pregnancy.htm

goodnightmoon Thu 01-Sep-11 18:32:37

my consultant said the ranges given on results are for non-pregnant people and would normally want to see 11+. For us preggos, anything around 10 is fine, she said. I think a lot of non-pg women are at that level anyway.

Ilovekittyelise Thu 01-Sep-11 18:40:59

mine dropped around the 28 week mark; i cant remember what it was, maybe about 11.0. per the blood form it's lower than 'normal' but not what would be prescribed iron for. however, i did begin taking some cheapy iron tablets from tesco every day or two as i was beginning to feel a little drained. got the level back up to 12.4 within several weeks.

whilst they wont be concerned by your level i would personally take it upon myself to take some extra supplements and make sure i continued with plenty of fresh fruit and veg to make sure i didnt get constipated.

DedalusDigglesPocketWatch Thu 01-Sep-11 19:19:10

Mine dropped to 7.9 (after surgery at 20wks) which was borderline for a transfusion. Managed to get up to 10.1 by 40wks by using spatone and eating well, but the mw led unit have a cut off of 10.3 (here anyway)

Have you tried Spatone or Floradix? They are natural and don't have the nasty side effects.

banana87 Thu 01-Sep-11 20:47:00

Thanks for your replies. I tried spatone before and when I had DD I bled loads, so much that I needed a transfusion sad. I've always contributed that to low iron causing the heavy bleeding. So am apprehensive to try that again. Is there something stronger that doesn't have nasty side effects?

PinkFondantFancy Fri 02-Sep-11 07:06:41

banana have you tried Floradix? It's another natural supplement but no idea how strong it is. My MW also suggested that I sprinkle Linwoods ground seeds on any food that i can bear to put it on to top up my iron.

banana87 Fri 02-Sep-11 21:35:17

Hi Pink. No, haven't tried Floradix. I only used spatone last time. I've now purchased this Biocare Iron stuff that I found by doing a search on MN for pregnancy anemia. Apparently gentle yet stronger than Floradix. Fingers crossed it works because I am tired to feeling so run down and breathless. Of course that could just be pregnancy too smile

acatcalledfelix Fri 02-Sep-11 21:41:41

I was given iron pills yesterday for a HB of 10.4, but my last count was 10 and I wasn't given anything then, only found out after going to the hospital yesterday and them looking at my previous results. So, don;t really know what the protocol is in my trust!
I'm going to get some Spatone, I hate iron pills and already have some, ahem, "difficulties" so they are the last thing I want!!

acatcalledfelix Fri 02-Sep-11 21:41:56

Oh and I'm 32 weeks.

mumblejumble Fri 02-Sep-11 22:10:26

I am 31 weeks and just received a letter from my consultant last week saying mine is 9.5. Am taking spatone, two sachets a day, hoping that will sort it. Now thinking of upping this to 3 a day to see if it helps.
I have never been anaemic in pregnancy before, just this time. I think it's because pg supplements have been making me throw up, so not being absorbed. Also, not much appetite, gone off meat, eggs, etc.
Better pull my socks up...

whackamole Fri 02-Sep-11 22:39:26

I'm surprised - my HB was 11 last time, has always been fairly low due to being a thalassaemia carrier, but I feel awful with it and have been taking iron tablets for MONTHS now.

My MW told me that anything under about 14 was considered low.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now