Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Folic Acid

(12 Posts)
mummymccar Thu 01-Sep-11 15:25:07

Hi, I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice on Folic Acid?

I'm 15 weeks pregnant and a bit confused about if should stop taking FA and if so, when? My GP says to stop at 16 weeks, the NHS website guidance is 12 weeks, and everybody that I've spoken to seems to have different ideas ranging from 12 weeks to taking all the way through my pregnancy. I'm taking Pregnacare and they don't offer any advice about it either. Dr. Google seems to be conflicted too and is, quite frankly, confusing my baby brain.

Can anyone help please?

justhe1 Thu 01-Sep-11 15:26:30

Always thought it was 12 weeks as the nueral tube will be fully formed by then.

Dont think it will do any harm to continue till 16 weeks though.

hawthers Thu 01-Sep-11 15:29:24

i'm taking a multivitamin with folic acid in it all the way through just to add another optinion into the mix! (sanatogen mother to be - it says before conception and during pregnancy on the front)

Sandra2011 Thu 01-Sep-11 15:31:30

I've taken Pregnacare Plus all through my previous pregnancy and I'm planning to do the same also this time.

I has all the vitamins and minerals baby and I need.

biscuitbrown Thu 01-Sep-11 15:32:59

I would carry on taking pre-natal vits the whole way through - it isn't just neural tube defects but other things like cleft palate that colic acid helps prevent - plus you'll need all the extra iron & calcium you can get. I've been taking the Zita West ones & my midwife was really surprised that my haemoglobin levels went actually went up by 34 wks! smile

biscuitbrown Thu 01-Sep-11 15:33:54

Sorry, stupid predictive text! Folic acid, not colic obv!

mummymccar Thu 01-Sep-11 15:36:41

Thank you everyone! Right, going to ignore all the folic acid specific stuff and keep taking it. Baby needs the other stuff too as you said.
Thanks for the quick responses everybody and for clearing this up for me!

melliebobs Thu 01-Sep-11 16:32:33

i've carried on taking mine after 12 weeks cos i'd paid for it so there was no point it sitting there! It doesn't do any harm

HPonEverything Thu 01-Sep-11 16:40:54

I've been taking Pregnacare throughout, it says on the packet that's ok and also to continue through breastfeeding.

I stopped taking it last week because I lost them blush and I have DEFINITELY noticed the difference in how I feel so it is either down to the lack of vits or just a coincidence, who knows.

PIMSoclock Thu 01-Sep-11 16:42:17

In utero, the palate is formed by 6 weeks, so taking folate beyond week 12 will have no further ability to prevent a cleft palate

mummymccar Thu 01-Sep-11 19:50:25

I was hoping I'd be able to continue taking - I've got 2 unopened boxes of Pregnacare and that stuff is expensive!

Sandra2011 Fri 02-Sep-11 17:43:44

But from 12 weeks onwards it's still good for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now