Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Really painful vein in leg - should I be worried?

(4 Posts)
Newmummytobe79 Thu 01-Sep-11 09:10:41

I'm 40+1 and last night my leg really started to ache. I developed some very ugly spider veins (in patches) early on in pregnancy, all the way up one leg from my foot to my thigh but this is more like a bruise. It starts at the back of my knee but feels bruised from my knee to shin sad It doesn't stick out (varicose?) but is so sore!

Is this just part and parcel of pregnancy or should I ring my Dr/Midwife about it?

nametapes Thu 01-Sep-11 09:14:03

I suggest you see you G.P soon... just incase its really dodgy and it needs treatment or anything. Your body is 40% more blood in it at full term so its not surprising veins tend to swell. Take it easy and good luck with the birth!!

Newmummytobe79 Thu 01-Sep-11 09:22:54

thanks nametapes - I'll call today

Dawnywoo Thu 01-Sep-11 10:03:56

I had exactly as you descibe last week and went in to the Maternity Assessment Unit. They kept me in overnight and gave me a blood thinning injection in case it was a blood clot / DVT. In the end, it wasn't but you can't be too careful. Good luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now