Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Should I mention my private scan to midwife?

(14 Posts)
Givememorecheese Wed 31-Aug-11 23:59:18

Got my booking in appointment with the midwife tomorrow and am wondering if I should mention the private scan I went for last week. I've read a couple of comments on here about midwives sometimes being a bit off about it. I'm also a little worried that since I was given a measurement and date at the private scan, if I mention it might it give the NHS an excuse to save money and not do my routine scan at 12 weeks? Or am I just being paranoid?

BagofHolly Thu 01-Sep-11 00:39:56

Don't mention it. I had private scans done and my community midwife wouldn't book my 12 week NHS one because she said it was a waste of resources. I had to go over her head and get the hospital to book it and it was a faff. Cheeky cow, I pay my tax same as everyone else!

nosleepsadie Thu 01-Sep-11 01:07:56

The 12 week nhs scan is more than dating scan it's nuchal thickness and combined with blood tests gives you a risk for downs syndrome and other disorders. You still need it (if u want that info) so shouldn't change anything that you had a dating scan already even if you do mention it. No need to mention it unless date on your scan was way out from your period due date or anything abnormal found. Congratulations!

PinkFondantFancy Thu 01-Sep-11 04:54:20

I had the same experience as bagofholly - don't mention it to your MW.

halohasslipped Thu 01-Sep-11 05:46:32

After reading the epidural thread i'm beginning to suspect that MW's may have an issue in personally deciding cost saving measures for the NHS.

Iggly Thu 01-Sep-11 06:12:24

Maybe because MWs feel their job is under threat?

I mentioned my scan - was no big deal and I didn't miss out because Id had one already.

imip Thu 01-Sep-11 06:53:37

I wouldn't mention it. I didn't mention mine. Interestingly both scans were 20 hrs apart and came back with different nuchal scan measurements and different dates. I think it will depend on the midwife you see, but I think the general practice is to cancel the nhs scan if you've had it privately.

QueenCee Thu 01-Sep-11 06:54:11

I've had numerous private scans due to bleeding in both my pregnancies. I've always mentioned it and my mw has never made any mention to it at all and have always had my 12 week Nhs scan. In my case though, I've probably saved them money by going private every time I bleed rather than Nhs... And I bleed alot when I'm pg! Personally, id mention it to her as it's best she knows everything about your pg to give you the best care, plus, as someone has already said, your 12 week scan is not just a dating scan, it's a nuchal test too which I assume your private one wasn't. In which case, I can not see how they could refuse you. They also do a blood test at my hospital for a more accurate downs test and check development of baby at that point and do an internal scan to check the length of your cervix to assess risk of premature birth. So really any previous scan should be irrelevant as they test for lots of things at the 12 week.

LoveInAColdClimate Thu 01-Sep-11 06:58:38

I mentioned mine, and the midwife was more than positive about it (and about the clinic we'd been to). Our NHS trust has only just started doing nuchal translucency scans, though, so most people used to have a private scan as well, which might make a difference? She recommended going back to the same clinic if the baby's in the wrong position for my NHS NT scan (today!). I wouldn't worry about mentioning it.

hairylights Thu 01-Sep-11 06:59:57

Same as queencare.

Givememorecheese Thu 01-Sep-11 09:32:44

Thanks ladies.

Since I still haven't decided whether I want the NT test (and am currently leaning towards no), it looks like not mentioning it is my best option - just in case. I paid for that scan for reassurance, not to be denied my routine one

Sandra2011 Thu 01-Sep-11 10:03:42

I had private NT scan at 12 weeks and didn't see any point going to the NHS one. And also it's not as good as the private one is.

I'll have 20 week NHS scan.

edwinbear Thu 01-Sep-11 12:58:59

I mentioned mine to my NHS midwife, as well as the fact that I was also seeing an independent midwife and planned on a private GB Strep test. All the NHS midwives I've seen have been incredibly supportive and in fact pleased! I guess it depends on the area and the midwives that you see.

kiki22 Thu 01-Sep-11 23:04:16

If your worried ask if having a private scan effects getting your NHS scans, if the say no let them know if they say yes say just wondering... once they said it won't effect it they can hardly change their mind smile

Or once you've had your scan say oh it's lovely to see baby again hint hint lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now