Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Inadvertently eaten blue cheese.

(20 Posts)
supergreenuk Wed 31-Aug-11 21:50:54

Had pizza hut buffet today.
I questioned one of the pizzas as it tasted a bit like blue cheese. The staff member said it wasn't blue cheese and I have since got home and checked the menu on line. It is called portobello blue and does have blue cheese on it. I am soooooo upset as I am very strict and by the book and will not do anything to harm my baby.
I am 32 weeks pregnant.
AHHHHHHHH.

Catsmamma Wed 31-Aug-11 21:54:40

is blue cheese off limits these days?

i'm well out of touch (my baby is 14 in november) but i thought it was only unpasteurised cheese that was off limits an i seriously doubt pizza hut are forking out for decent cheese

I'd say not to worry....but am sure someone more up to date will be along soon! :D

Crosshair Wed 31-Aug-11 21:58:30

If its cooked its fine.

Either way I wouldnt worry the risks are very slim.

supergreenuk Wed 31-Aug-11 22:01:52

Thanks guys. I have just researched and hard blue cheese like stilton is fine but soft blue ones are not. It doesn't specify which one is used but it should also be okay if cooked. Still I am most upset they don't label the buffet menu or educate there staff on what is on the pizza. I wouldn't have eaten it.

jammyscone Wed 31-Aug-11 22:06:10

Tell them! Then they'll educate the staff a bit more, and you might get a voucher off them smile

Listeria is what you'd be worrying about with blue cheese and it is killed by pasteurization and cooking, so you should be fine.

supergreenuk Wed 31-Aug-11 22:12:18

Yes I have emailed to complain. I am not interested in the slightest about going there again so they can keep there stinkin voucher LOL.

Thanks Jammy. I am feeling a little less frantic now.

kat2504 Thu 01-Sep-11 09:20:21

If you haven't got food poisoning then it will not have harmed your baby. That is why you are supposed to avoid it, because of the risk of listeria. if you are well, all is fine.

I do understand your anger, the staff should be able to tell you what is in the food they are serving. Not just for pregnant women, but also for customers with severe nut allergies and the like.

kenobi Thu 01-Sep-11 11:55:42

If it was cooked onto the pizza there is no way any germs would have survived. You'll be fine!
The risks are incredibly small anyway - all of the eating 'rules' are precautionary not 'don't do this or else'.

PadmeHum Thu 01-Sep-11 12:07:42

Reality check! You are being completely ridiculous. I am amazed that you have even wasted 10 seconds thinking about it. Your stress levels will cause more harm than a smattering of cheese. You need to relax a little.

kenobi Thu 01-Sep-11 12:32:13

Yes but Padme, when did rationality and pregnancy ever go hand in hand? grin

pinkytheshrinky Thu 01-Sep-11 12:35:44

Oh please chill, how could you have got yourself in such a state about this? I cannot believe you have emailed a complaint..... it is cooked, how can there be a problem?

Summerbird73 Thu 01-Sep-11 12:39:25

aaaaand relax! honestly there is no need to be 'sooooo upset' how have you got through 32 weeks without doing anything you 'shouldnt'

but i have been 32 weeks pg before - i am sooooo on your hormonal wavelength smile

icravecheese Thu 01-Sep-11 12:49:58

Ignore the ladies on here who have (in my opinion) been slightly harsh & said you're 'ridiculous / in a state'....its only natural for you to feel concerned & I totally get where you are coming from. THis is my 3rd pregnancy so I'm an 'experienced' mum-to-be, & I still stress / worry about the food guidelines (& still always inadvertently manage to eat something I shouldnt during each pregnancy!).

You're right to feel p'eed off with the staff for not knowing their menu's. I would probably feel exactly the same as you if I were in your situation. However please don't worry - the cheese was cooked, you're not ill 24hrs later so you havent got listeria from it, so no need to worry. x

I do wonder why some posters on MN post such seemingly harsh comments in response to genuine concerns....??! Give the girl a break!

HPonEverything Thu 01-Sep-11 12:53:58

I've lost count of the things I've eaten/drunk and shouldn't have but only found out later. In your case it was cooked, it's fine, the stress you have caused yourself will be far more damaging!

Katiebeau Thu 01-Sep-11 12:59:28

I agree with icravecheese. And not just about the need for cheese when pregnant! Harsh words from some posters, this was posted in pregnancy not AIBU.

I know where you are at - I'm 31 weeks and loathe to break any of the daft rules. Although when I found out British egg laying hens were vaccinated against salmonella I indulged my craving for runny eggs!!! I'm interested that you say hard blue cheese is OK. Where is this written, I would love some stilton...

You'll be OK by the sounds of it, so will baby. Re the restaurant even if this isn't a very big risk for you I have a lactose intolerant toddler and this kind of "does it really matter" attitude drives me crackers. It is for the customer to decide the risk, not the staff. Feel free to complain.

Crosshair Thu 01-Sep-11 13:05:24

I think its good to get a mixed set of opinions, sometimes you need someone to say 'Look you're being silly, chill out.'

inmysparetime Thu 01-Sep-11 13:15:31

I would have been annoyed by that situation, mostly because I hate blue cheese sad. DS has a milk allergy so I am a bit militant about chefs knowing ingredients anyway, but really, how can you call yourself a "chef" and not know what goes in your food? I would at best bestow the title "cook". If you can check ingredients online why couldn't they? I'd contact the manager and have a go, but then I really hate not knowing what's in food.

worldgonecrazy Thu 01-Sep-11 13:17:15

Don't worry, you will be fine, but yes, the staff should be better informed about what the ingredients of dishes are.

Incidentally, the last outbreak of listeria in this country was from salad/lettuce. Your much safer eating blue cheese.

solidgoldbrass Thu 01-Sep-11 13:19:00

Please don't upset yourself. Consider that you have had a lesson in the idiocy and misogyny that all this diet-restriction-in-pregnancy is based on.

Summerbird73 Thu 01-Sep-11 14:22:30

agree with crosshair

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now