Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

asprin in pregnancy to prevent preeclampsia?

(9 Posts)
Poweredbypepsi Wed 31-Aug-11 21:22:40

I am 14 weeks with dc5 and have had preeclampsia with previous pregnancies. I saw a consultant yesterday who prescribed me a daily asprin as she said there is evidence that this helps reduce preeclampsia. I came home and stupidly googled asprin and pregnancy and found warnings that it can cause bleeding?
I have already had 4 miscarraiges and so i am terrified of harming the baby. I have been taking it but was wondering if anyone had heard anythign abotu this or been advised to do this?

gruffalo2008 Wed 31-Aug-11 21:45:46

Hi, I had Pre eclampsia with my first pregnancy, when I saw my consultant recently he also advised low dose aspirin from 12 weeks.

Best of luck with the rest if your pregnancy

X

pruney1977 Wed 31-Aug-11 21:47:30

Hi
I'm 24 weeks today and was prescribed a daily baby aspirin yesterday to help keep my blood pressure low (even though it already is quite good at 110/69!) and reduce the risk of clotting. It's my first pregnancy but the reason for putting me on it was because I have a high BMI. I'm a little concerned as I have asthma, only started taking it this morning and have already been wheezing today but I shall persevere.
If it keeps blood pressure low it would make sense that the reason you've been given it is due to pre-eclampsia in previous pregnancies but I don't know about the risks. I would assume that they compare the risk (to you and the baby) of pre-eclampsia to risk from aspirin, perhaps the risk from aspirin is lower.
If you're concerned I would ring the hospital and speak to them. I'm giving mine a few more days to bed in but if I'm wheezing every day I shall speak to them about mine as the consultant didn't even look at my notes as the midwife had them in front of her at her desk!

Poweredbypepsi Wed 31-Aug-11 21:57:33

thanks smile i feel a bit better knowing other people have been told this as well!
It would be great if they did reduce complications would it would be nice to have this (probably my last) pregnancy trouble free and happy.

Allboxedin Wed 31-Aug-11 22:12:38

I am taking blood thinners (heparin) during this pregnancy because of previous clotting but I know some people who are at risk but havent had any clots are precribed aspirin to thin the blood. If you have had 4 previous miscarriages I wonder if they are worried also about possible clotting problems such as APS (which causes miscarriage). Not sure about pre eclampsia, but just wanted to say that a lot of people take it in pregnancy.

OoopsWeDidItAgain Wed 31-Aug-11 22:35:25

Hi there. I was prescribed a low dose of aspirin in my second pregnancy after suffering severe pre eclampsia in my first. Went on to have a great pregnancy the second time round - so good I had to be induced at 43+3 cos the pilots blighter wanted to stay in!!
Fingers crossed for you.

OoopsWeDidItAgain Wed 31-Aug-11 22:36:35

Pilots!!!!! That should be 'little' - bloody iPhone

wheelshavefallenoffthebus Fri 02-Sep-11 16:16:24

I've taken aspirin 75 mg through two pregnancies and had no problems. It is a low dose and I was told it wasn't a definite help in preventing pre-eclampsia but potential benefits would outweigh risks. I had ds1 at 39 weeks and had an induction due to pre-existing high bp that started to cone up a little towards the end. Had stopped aspirin at 36 weeks. Am now 35 weeks with dc2 and have been on aspirin again with no problems. Hope your pregnancy goes well smile

Stogan Fri 02-Sep-11 16:22:38

Hi

I am currently 13 weeks and have been on 75mg of aspirin daily since pre pregnancy and have to keep taking it to 20 weeks after 4 Mcs due to natural killer cells ( together with a million other drugs) so sure u will be fine. I was worried too but taking aspirin is quite common it seems for various reasons.

Wishing u lots of love and luck xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now