Talk

Advanced search

Need maternity pads after CS or wil STs suffice?

(9 Posts)
iWILLdothis Wed 31-Aug-11 16:54:46

Trying to start thinking about packing hospital bag. Booked for CS and wondering do I still need proper maternity pads or is the extra padding in them only good for extra cushioning for those who've had a normal birth (I was glad of it last time!). I think they're narrow though, potential for lots of flooding/leaks, and normally I prefer STs with wings so was wondering if for example night time ordinary STs with wings would be sufficient?

karlmarxthespot Wed 31-Aug-11 16:59:03

You should use maternity pads at least for a while, as sanitary pads absorb, erm, stuff and you won't know if you have an infection. If you are kept in hospital they should provide pads for you.

WorrisomeHeart Wed 31-Aug-11 17:00:02

I would go for mat pads with wings - Mothercare do them. I definitely needed the extra thickness after my CS and STs just wouldnt have cut it!

iWILLdothis Wed 31-Aug-11 19:44:40

thanks for the replies & advice. can't get to mothercare tho with my blinking SPD, can barely get out of bed at the mo sad Had been hoping to do big online Boots order for everything including mat pads....seems silly to pay separate postage for another order from mothercare. How do you think a normal ST with mat pad on top would work???

StoneBaby Wed 31-Aug-11 19:49:48

I used the Boots mat pad and they did the job. Just get some cheap high rise black knickers that you can either wash or throw if needed.

G1nger Wed 31-Aug-11 21:55:39

I've got mine from amazon. Although they don't have wings.

hubbahubster Thu 01-Sep-11 08:11:50

Mat pads, deffo. I used Tesco ones without wings, I actually used two end-to-end while in hospital since I was on my back a lot and wanted to avoid leaks - didn't leak at all. Don't stress about wings, just get a pack with your Boots order so you have some for your hospital bag. You can always switch to the winged ones once you're home. FWIW I was on regular sanitary pads after a week, there's less bleeding with a CS as the surgeon will whip a lot of the, erm, stuff, out before stitching you up. I was warned it would sound like a McDonald's milkshake being slurped as it was sucked away...

iWILLdothis Fri 02-Sep-11 09:19:26

stonebaby yes I have the black knickers...but still....I suppose I'm just paranoid becasue I'm fortunate I'll have help for the first couple of weeks and I expect (hope!) she will be doing things like the washing for me, and I don't want her coming across my bloody knickers!

g1inger I never thought of amazon for this....will look and see if they have winged ones there

hubba that's good to know and thank you for the luuuurrrvvvely description at the end there smile .... <puke!>

mrsrvc Fri 02-Sep-11 10:00:31

My MW recommended Tenna Ladies ( the super night ones ) as they are much better at keeping things dry. Used them both times and found them much more comfy than the maternity pads.
HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now