Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

scared. no heart beat.

(14 Posts)
mumt1 Wed 31-Aug-11 15:46:01

Been for scan today due to suspected ectopic, its not ectopic but it was very small, I'm 6 weeks since first day of menstrual period. Anyway scan today, showed no heartbeat. It was so small as well, with just sac and yolk sac. She said it was about a cm big. Rescheduled scan for 10 days time. So scared the heartbeat wnt start sad

KellyKettle Wed 31-Aug-11 15:50:20

Oh mumt1 I am so sorry, the waiting is so stressful.

What did they say to you? I had a MMC in Dec and they couldn't find a heartbeat at 7 weeks or so. I believe this is more unusual but possible if you've had a long cycle etc.

I am now 32 weeks pg and had spotting at 5-6 weeks. Scanned at 6 weeks and she saw the tiniest heartbeat and was very surprised, she told me it was unusual to see a heartbeat that early so perhaps its not cause for concern just yet?

Did they say how many weeks your baby is measuring?

kat2504 Wed 31-Aug-11 15:53:13

If the sac is only a cm then it is too small to know yet. You may just have ovulated a bit later and be actually only 5 weeks pregnant. The fact that the yolk sac is there is very positive. The cut off point for diagnosing miscarriage is an empty sac bigger than 2cm, or an embryo bigger than 5mm with no heartbeat. You have a way to go yet before you reach either of these points.
Very sorry that you are so anxious, the waiting really is awful.

Biscuitsandtea Wed 31-Aug-11 15:59:28

mumt1 the waiting is so stressful! You poor thing sad

I would agree though that I had also heard that it was unusual to see a heartbeat at 6 weeks. Were they able to give you a measurement in weeks?

Also, it could be possible that you ovulated late or similar so you could genuinely be less than 6 weeks along (although of course you are 6 weeks from LMP)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it could still be fine. I really have everything crossed for you.

In 10 days they'll be able to see if everything has developed as they would expect.

Good luck xx

mumt1 Wed 31-Aug-11 16:01:45

Well they said it looks 5-6 weeks but really struggled so had to have an internal scan and still struggled to look at it properly. I've got a son already and never experienced this with him no pains nothing. But is constantly in pain with this one.had no bleeding which is good. I guess its just the dreaded waiting game x

ajandjjmum Wed 31-Aug-11 16:04:23

They couldn't see a heartbeat a 6 weeks with DS but it was there at 7 weeks. He's now a strapping 19 year old! Hope it works out for you.

KellyKettle Wed 31-Aug-11 16:11:44

The HB the sonographer spotted at 6 weeks on my scan could only be picked up by the vaginal ultrasound and she genuinely was amazed. She said it was the smallest she'd every picked a HB up on.

I know it's so hard to stay positive and not to worry. I had early bleeding and abdo pain in this pregnancy so had convinced myself it was another MMC but it turned out fine.

When do you go back?

mumt1 Wed 31-Aug-11 16:19:40

I go back on 9th september, I'm also going through a lot of stress atm as I'm starting training course to be a paramedic and with a 2yr old and a stressful man lol no time to rest!

KellyKettle Wed 31-Aug-11 16:24:03

Well try to find small ways to be kind to yourself if you can't really take it easy over the next couple of weeks.

I will check back to see how you're doing. Try to stay positive, the course sounds like a good distraction and if that's not then a toddler lively toddler definitely will be!

Good luck smile

mumt1 Wed 31-Aug-11 16:30:06

Lol yes a very lively toddler with major tantrums! Lol thank you will stay positive! My blood reading is 2600 so that's a gd sign isn't it

kdiddy Wed 31-Aug-11 16:48:19

I had a scan at about 6 weeks due to a bleed + they saw yolk but no heartbeat. I went back 2 weeks later and she found a clear heartbeat straight away, but it was a horrible wait. I'm now 20+3.

mumt1 Wed 31-Aug-11 16:52:00

That's good then. So sounds totally normal! I didn't have first scan with my son till 12 weeks and I saw so much so big with outstanding heartbeat but I guess that's wt 6 week difference makes! This one was so tiny and just a blob. Strange how much ya can love something that just a spec isn't it <3

MrsCLH Wed 31-Aug-11 18:50:43

I had an early scan cos im diabetic. Lmp put me at 6+4 but I knew my cycle was longer than 28 days. No hb and sac actually measured 22mm so sonographer was very negative. Decided to prepare myself for the worst. Second scan 7 days later after an agonizing wait and lo and behold there was a little jumping bean measuring 7 weeks exactly. Its now a huge 36 week bump! I know its not always possible but I would avoid an early scan at all costs in future if I could, an inconclusive result is awful, leaves u in limbo land. Hope its good news for u at your next scan xx

Biscuitsandtea Tue 06-Sep-11 17:08:07

mumt1, hope you're doing OK.

I was just re reading this thread and I just saw your post about having had a scan at 12 weeks last time and the difference to 6 weeks - I was the same. With DS we had a scan at 12 weeks and I was surprised how 'baby shaped' he looked - all the arms and legs going everywhere etc. Then we had a scan at 8 weeks this time and I was surprised the other way at how prawn like the baby looked so they do a heck of a lot of growing in that 6-12 weeks period!

Anyway, I hope you are doing OK. Are you still booked in for another scan later this week?

Thinking of you xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now