Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Travelling at 24ish weeks - am I crazy???

(13 Posts)
Emy84 Wed 31-Aug-11 15:30:26

DH and I have been talking about having a last holiday for two sort of 'babymoon' type break. We would be going when I was around 24 weeks. Originally I had thought of a nice country hotel - maybe cotswolds or somewhere equally beautiful, good food, pampering spa and some lovely relaxation.

Now I have seen a very good deal for a trip to New York, somewhere we have always wanted to go. Its a good NYC hotel and we wouldnt plan on going mad rushing around just see a few things until I got tired. Would I be mad to consider flying this distance at 24 weeks? I know you can fly without medical cert upto 28weeks but do you thing it would be very umcomfortable/worth it?

confused ohhhh I am soooo torn between full on pampering and relaxation and going to a city I have always wanted to visit and may not be able to afford to see after LO is born!

Sandra2011 Wed 31-Aug-11 15:43:11

24 weeks should be ok. It's hard to tell.... We're all different.

You need to compare your travel insurance properly www.moneysupermarket.com/travel-insurance/pregnancy/ and also find out where to go if something happens.

Just remember to walk alot on the plane, wear your flight socks and drink plenty of water.

cravingcake Wed 31-Aug-11 15:48:29

Thats a tough one, having been to NY last year for a long weekend I have to say its one fantastic place to visit but was tiring - but we did do everything, walked a lot & shopped till we dropped at Thanksgiving time so crowds!

I travelled to Venice (2hr flight) at 26 weeks and this was ok, a bit uncomfortable while descending (bump went quite tight). I'm a fairly well seasoned flyer and would say if you are used to long flights then why not - you wont have another chance to enjoy a great city before little one arrives. If you do go, make sure you get an aisle seat so you can get up and move about, and make sure you have travel insurance which covers pregnancy (just in case). Oh, and check the temperatures as I found Venice (high 20's low 30's every day) very hot and my ankles swelled hugely due to the heat and walking around in it.

You could always suggest to your other half that you would like a pampering wkend as a christmas present wink.

licoriceGreen Wed 31-Aug-11 15:51:12

I did a 3 hour flight at 25 wks and being pregnant didn't make a difference, i know ny is a much longer flight but I'd go for it while you have the chance.

Cjax Wed 31-Aug-11 15:57:31

If you feel OK I would go for it. I have travelled a fair bit during my pregnancy with no problems but am going to stop now I'm 31 weeks.

The flight is only about 7 hours I think, I reckon the jetlag when you come back would be the most challenging thing. In terms of when you are there, it is really easy and pretty cheap to get taxis in New York so I think that would be fine.

munstersmum Wed 31-Aug-11 16:01:38

I can see how NY is tempting but on the other hand you say you will only do bits so will you do it justice? And will 2 longer flights be worth it?

We did Majorca at 25 weeks & that was far enough for me. Bump was definitely getting large, ankles swelled & it was hot enough.

Do not discount doing a long haul with baby. We did Vancouver & Vancouver Island with DS age 9 months & he travelled like a dream. Everyone was very welcoming. Just get it in before baby becomes a toddler wink

mousymouse Wed 31-Aug-11 16:01:43

should be fine, but check your travel insurance that the baby is covered as well. just in case.

scepticalexpat Wed 31-Aug-11 16:20:08

I did transatlantic flights (Chicago to Heathrow) at 22 and 26 weeks. Wasn't too bad, though I got a bit uncomfortable one way. My doctor recommended flight socks because there's a slightly higher risk of thrombosis in pregnancy. To be honest the jet lag was no different from normal.

Emy84 Wed 31-Aug-11 16:28:15

Thanks for all the replies, good point mousymouse I would make sure to get a policy that included the bubba. Thanks for the link Sandra2011 I guess i need to think a bit more grin

HPonEverything Wed 31-Aug-11 18:01:40

If you feel fine then go for it. I've done loads of travelling whilst pg including epic drives to the south of France with only one brief toilet break. Stopped at 34wks mind as I became just too knackered and worried about baby coming early in a foreign country. At 24wks if you're healthy and wear your socks, walk around etc, you'll be fine I'm sure. Have fun!

goodnightmoon Wed 31-Aug-11 20:07:21

i just flew back last week from the US with my 3 year old - I am 24 weeks. I felt fine and did the same transAtlantic trip in my first pregnancy around the same time. Go for it - it's a great city and frankly more fun before the kids!

Snowgirl1 Wed 31-Aug-11 21:10:02

I'm 24 weeks and wouldn't hesitate to go if I had the chance! Just bear in mind that you'll probably get slightly jet-lagged - and be awake at the crack of dawn and falling asleep over your dinner!

MissRee Wed 31-Aug-11 21:11:36

I'm flying to Florida at 26 weeks and can't wait grin only 3 weeks to gooooo!!! Gonna get some surgical stockings to wear tho... sexy grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now