Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Does an anterior placenta mean a back-to-back labour?

(8 Posts)
PeggyCarter Wed 31-Aug-11 13:14:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CombineArvester Wed 31-Aug-11 13:15:31

I have had an anterior placenta every pregnancy and no back to back labours yet. HTH.

nunnie Wed 31-Aug-11 13:16:09

I had an anterior with my last pregnancy and my son was brow but not back to back so needed a EMCS (doubt this was related to placenta).

I have anterior with this one and baby is not back to back I am currently 36+5 so in my case no it doesn't mean back to back.

helsbels999 Wed 31-Aug-11 13:16:55

my first was an anterior placenta and baby posterior - spinning babies website may help turn your baby though.

I have no idea if its was anymore/less painful as it was my first (second due in 3 weeks with posterior placenta).

grubbalo Wed 31-Aug-11 13:18:49

I had an anterior placenta last time round (DS2) and do again this time. With DS1 I didn't but he ended up being back to back anyway - and I'll be honest, it was quite a long labour (16 hours) with epidural and ventouse.

DS2 also back to back but a 4 hour labour from first twinges to delivery, managed fine on gas and air and really not too bad.

So yes in my experience it can mean back to back, but if it does it really doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be a terrible labour. I am honestly not one bit worried that as I have an anterior placenta this time round it might mean the baby is back-to-back - I think labours are just all individual and what will be will be.

PeggyCarter Wed 31-Aug-11 13:23:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

icravecheese Wed 31-Aug-11 13:40:51

I had a back to back baby with DC2 (not related to anterior placenta tho'). I was worried about long & difficult labour so my friend asked her dad (who is an Obs & gynae consultant) about it, and he said that back to back usually only causes 'problems' if its your first baby - by the time you're onto your 2nd, your body knows what to do and can turn baby pretty easily during labour. He said not to worry at all about back to back babies in 2nd /3rd etc pregnancies as from his experience they don't really cause any problems.

Anyhow, turns out when I did go into labour, baby wasnt back to back by the time they palpated me (went in when contractions were 3mins apart & I said to midwife that baby was back to back. She wasnt, so had presumably turned during early labour or my midwife had got it wrong) and DC2 was born 2hrs later (v quick compared to my first labour of 24hrs!).

edwinbear Wed 31-Aug-11 21:00:55

I had an anterior placenta with DS and although he turned back to back in labour, he was perfectly positioned before hand. He turned most likely due to me being flat on a bed for 30hrs though, I doubt it had anything to do with my placenta, so don't think an anterior placenta necessarily means a back to back labour. I won't lie though, it was fairly unpleasant once he'd turned b2b.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now