Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

33+3 - when shall I pack my bag?

(17 Posts)
Newmom2b Wed 31-Aug-11 11:37:41

Hi, I'm 33+3 and just wondering when you should start to think about packing a bag? We have a few bits for the baby but I dont have anything! Any advice on when and what I should pack?
So far I have (for the baby):
Clothes, inc mittens and hat
Nappys... ummm thats it! Help! xx

nannyl Wed 31-Aug-11 11:41:25

i didnt start mine at all until 36+5 (though i knew where stuff was etc)

I actually went through it to check that i had packed everything on my lists (I hadnt) at the weekend when i was 38 weeks!

hildathebuilder Wed 31-Aug-11 11:44:35

I had my ds at 29 weeks, and went into hospital for what I thought was a check up with my wallet, mobile and keys... It was fine, Dh just got given a list and was packed off to pick stuff up for me and to the shops. Apparently chemists are very good at telling new dads what you need in the way of maternity pads, lansinoh and nappies!

Sandra2011 Wed 31-Aug-11 12:23:14

I did it around 33 weeks. My son arrived at 37 weeks smile

Here's a list of things you need www.nhs.uk/Planners/pregnancycareplanner/Pages/Packforbirth.aspx

Madlizzy Wed 31-Aug-11 12:24:38

Well, my triplets arrived at 33+2 and my bag had been packed for a couple of weeks. Get it done, just in case. grin

cravingcake Wed 31-Aug-11 13:03:19

I'm 31 wks and have started getting a few bits together. I didnt own any button front night shirts so have picked up a couple of cheapies (£5 M&S sale - bargain) and put a few travel sized toiletries in a bag and pointed out to my other half that this is my stuff I'm going to need for hospital. I'm putting it all in one spot as and when I get it/think about it so that should we have to go in early he knows where it is. He's typical bloke & wouldnt know what I would need, or where to find it. I'm planning on 2 smallish bags, one for me and one for baby. So far baby's bag just has one pack of nappies, 3 sleepsuits & 2 hats - I've been putting off buying baby stuff until just the last couple of weeks. I figure if baby arrives early then I'll send OH to mothercare with a list & his credit card.

HPonEverything Wed 31-Aug-11 13:07:50

My MW told me off at 33wks for not having done it yet. Cue lots of stress for me as I hate being reminded I'm crap (even though I am).

I've now procrastinated about it for a further 2 weeks and still haven't done it. I just have so much other stuff going on like being 35wks pg, working full time and sleeping the rest of the time!

I think I'm still in denial about this whole baby thing. Thanks for the prompt though, I'll start it tonight.

PamSco Wed 31-Aug-11 13:08:12

I'm only 29 weeks and bag contents have been brought together, not packed yet but nearly there. I got taken into hospital in May and OH was sooooo whingey about how disorganised I am, he couldn't find anything.

I am bad, I know where everything is but it isn't always logical.

I have no use for maternity pads now so no harm packing them ready. Just need to buy a button fronted nighty and I'm done.

mumnosbest Wed 31-Aug-11 14:36:30

With DS bag was packed by 30wks and he was 10 days late. With DD I didn't pack my bag then had her at 36wks. This time I'm going to be ready early as DH ended packing sleepsuits for 3-6 months, couldn't find the Lnsinoh (a must) and I felt stranded at the hospital! Unless your partner is really reliable get your bag packed, just in case smile

Bartimaeus Wed 31-Aug-11 15:29:22

I'm 35+2 and haven't packed yet.
We've got the painters in so our small flat is very crowded with displaced furniture. They should be finished next week so I'll do it then. That'll be around 37 weeks.

We've got everything here (almost, just missing bath products and I need to get a feeding bra or two) so worst comes to the worst, DH will have to pack it grin. He isn't keen on this idea so I might cave in this weekend and at least pack the delivery room bag (my hospital has asked us to have 2 bags - one for the delivery room, one for the bedroom).

I'm trying to avoid thinking about it all to be honest blush

MrsCLH Wed 31-Aug-11 15:34:31

I'm 36+1 and finished my bag yesterday. Buts its probably taken about 3 weeks between starting a list and gradually buying and adding bits and pieces before I've finally got it finished. Just kept a list next to it and ticked it off every time I put something in. Found it less of a chore that way.

Only problem now is that I'm moving house in 10 days and the hospital bag is the only thing I have packed - oops!!

madwomanintheattic Wed 31-Aug-11 15:40:17

when you go into labour. you've got to have something to do to take your mind off things. wink

discliamer - i did pack a bag a pack at 39+1, because they told me i was having an elcs the following morning. the other two dc's i didn't bother.

oh, i tell i lie - with ds1 we went on holdiay when i was 38+5, and i took a baby car seat and a couple of babygros, just in case he was born whilst we were away. he wasn't, but i spent the entire time having huge bh and did call the local hospital just in case. my waters broke 12 hours after we got home. grin

good luck, enjoy x

Iwasagnome Wed 31-Aug-11 15:41:31

I`d advise at least advise packing the essentials----having had one at 32 weeks--special care was some way from the maternity ward on another floor,wasn`t in my local hospital as had been blue-lighted to one with better facilities (thank goodness),I had to walk round in a hospital gown and short coat at first and had had nothing to eat for ages when finally got to the ward at about 3am---so night clothes,dressing gown and basic wash bag.

lolajane2009 Wed 31-Aug-11 16:03:26

34 weeks but I was scared as they said I had pre eclampsia and placenta previa... i had neither in the end lol. I had most of my stuff then but got the rest only just now at 37 + 5

madwomanintheattic Wed 31-Aug-11 16:12:47

grin i was having scans and monitoring in the hospital every other day for the last three weeks due to bp issues etc with dd1. and fortunately wink dd2 spent 5 weeks in scbu, so there was plenty of time for me to get hold of the essentials. grin

it depends i think - i'm not bothered about being organised and can happily do without stuff for a few hours/ days, but if you are an uber-organised type, then the earlier the better. grin i've never packed food or drink, either, really... at some point they're going to offer you tea and toast...

sleepevader Wed 31-Aug-11 17:56:03

Do it now whilst you have the motivation.

You can always add to it or repack.

Allboxedin Wed 31-Aug-11 18:58:51

I'm 33 weeks today and think I will do it next week smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now