Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Being ridiculous - 12 week scan on DS1's 1st b'day

(13 Posts)
ImpyCelyn Wed 31-Aug-11 10:11:24

It's making me sick thinking about it.

I knew that I'd hit 12 weeks around his birthday, so DH and I decided that we would try not to tell anyone until after. I want his one and only birthday sans sibling to be about him, and not have people asking about the next one etc.

And then I got a letter telling me that my scan is on his birthday, and I just feel really bad about it. I'm terrified that something might have gone wrong, and if it has his birthday is going to be awful (for us, not him) and then every year it'll be this bittersweet day.

I know that the flip side is that if all goes well it'll be even better, but I really just wanted that day to be all about him.

I'm being stupid, but I'm ridiculously emotional this time round - I'm crying at everything and this is setting me off every time I think about it.

Please tell me to get a grip - but not too brutally, I'm not at all secure this time round sad

pookamoo Wed 31-Aug-11 10:13:57

I think you can get the appointment changed, if you phone them up and tell them you can't make it. I wouldn't tell them why, just that you can't make the appointment that day.

12 weeks is only a guess anyway, based on your LMP, so a few days later shouldn't be a problem.

Happy birthday to your DS! smile

OhThisIsJustGrape Wed 31-Aug-11 10:17:35

If it's really worrying you then just ring the hospital and say you can't make that day - you don't have to say the real reason, blame it in work if need be smile

I'm sure everything will be fine but I do understand the worry - I still felt similar fear even with my 4th DC. The worry won't be doing you any good so change the appointment.

I'm sure plenty will tell you to get a grip but, certainly in my last pregnancy, I was irrational and emotional all the way through. So, although I should probably be telling you to get a grip, you're getting only my sympathy grin

LoveBeingIgnoredByMardyBra Wed 31-Aug-11 10:18:32

Just ring up and change the appt

ImpyCelyn Wed 31-Aug-11 10:29:55

Thanks everyone smile - that's a really obvious solution that I just assumed wouldn't be possible. I'll give that a try this afternoon.

Thanks for being gentle - I know I'm being a loon, but I just can't seem to get it together at the moment.

smile

ImpyCelyn Wed 31-Aug-11 10:37:34

Just changed it now. Told them I had a conference blush It's now later that week.

I feel so much better.

Thank you so much everyone! smile

I hate how pregnancy leaves me incapable of working out/doing the simplest of things all by myself.

Even more so this time as I seem to have turned into MegaKlutz and can no longer be trusted to handle anything that may break or harm me - so no more cooking or washing up grin

pookamoo Wed 31-Aug-11 11:13:27

Ahh, don't worry - I am incapable of logical thought now that I am 40wks + 4! It has got progressively worse throughout! smile

KatyN Wed 31-Aug-11 13:21:15

I phoned to move my 20 week scan with a ridiculously long (true but long) story about how my DH couldn't make that time and I'd really like him to be there as our family live away and how I was on meds that might effect the LO's heart so I was super worried.. etc etc (it went on for quite a while) but as soon as I finished the sentence my DH can't made the appt they immeadiately rescheduled.

Yes I felt silly for getting in such a tizz too!!

ImpyCelyn Wed 31-Aug-11 16:24:58

Thanks pookamoo - here's hoping your DC puts in an appearance soon smile

KatyN - Glad you managed to get a new appt. It's a nightmare when you've got all that going on, and on top of it you feel like you're being silly. I was convinced that these things were impossible to rearrange. I'd barely finished saying "I can't make it" and she was offering me a different day, only too happy to help etc.

TheOriginalFAB Wed 31-Aug-11 16:27:41

You are not being stupid, or need to get a grip. It is quite normal to be worried about date associations. I have had a situation and it allbecame about my MIL hmm.

ImpyCelyn Wed 31-Aug-11 16:45:57

Thanks FAB. I know if nothing's wrong it would be fine, but I just couldn't stand the thought of basically ruining his birthday forever.

Sorry to hear you've got your own MIL/date problem. Must be doubly annoying when it's family that have done it.

TheOriginalFAB Wed 31-Aug-11 16:51:29

I had a miscarriage on her birthday. She said she would never be able to celebrate again for years. She found a way the following year.

ImpyCelyn Wed 31-Aug-11 17:17:02

I'm so sorry to hear that sad I can't believe anyone would try to make that about themselves angry How completely rubbish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now