Talk

Advanced search

Wondering what I should do....

(7 Posts)
ilovespinach Wed 31-Aug-11 08:19:18

I got a bfp last week. I think I'm 6 weeks pregnant. I haven't gone to the dr yet - I live outside of the Uk and it's normal here to give you a scan as soon as you go to the dr to confirm the pregnancy. My reasoning in waiting until next week is then it would be 7 weeks and you might be able to see a heartbeat. I have sore boobs and a little bit of feeling sick but not so much over the last few days.

I had a miscarriage last year and the prosepect of going to the dr again with pregnancy fills me with dread.

The thing is I've got a borderline underactive thyroid. I thought I was ok and stopped taking the meds in January. I have since restarted them a few weeks ago to the the symptoms returning (I guess it was around the time I would have got pregnant). The dr didn't check my blood he just gave me the meds again and made an appointment to check in about 6 weeks.

So, sorry for being long....I'm not sure whether to just go to the dr this week and mention the whole thryoid thin or just wait an extra week so we might be able to see a heartbeat. Either way I am freaking out a little that things won't be ok....

kat2504 Wed 31-Aug-11 08:23:40

Using a transvaginal "dildocam" scan, you can usually see cardiac activity at 6 weeks pregnant. By the time you get your appointment you could be almost seven weeks anyway. If you have other medical issues I think you should go sooner rather than later so you can get your medication sorted.

Congratulations on your pregnancy, hope it goes well this time

BedHog Wed 31-Aug-11 08:23:59

Do you know if the meds are safe to use in pregnancy? If you're not sure I'd go and see the doctor asap, but explain you'd rather wait another week or so before you have the scan. Presumably they need your permission for an internal scan, so you wouldn't be forced to have it at this stage?

kat2504 Wed 31-Aug-11 08:27:28

They need your permission for any sort of scan! you can never be forced into any sort of procedure. However, the dildocam is painless and you get a much better picture.

ilovespinach Wed 31-Aug-11 08:36:44

Thanks for all the replies.

Just to clarify, I'm on thyroid meds so Ok during pregnancy. I have no problem with an internal scan it's just if I go to the dr this pregnancy will become real no matter what the outcome. I guess the memories of my miscarriage are still strong.

Anyway, appointment is booked for Friday. Lets cross fingers, it's also our wedding anniversary so lets hope it's good news.

metalelephant Wed 31-Aug-11 09:01:32

Congratulations! Thyroid medication is not just safe, it's absolutely essential during pregnancy. For that, I would go to the doctor earlier rather than later. Also, keep in mind that your levels need to be even lower than when non pregnant, and often you get extra thyroxin.
In the UK, I have been getting extra scans as well, and have been seeing an ob apart from my midwife apps.

ciwi Wed 31-Aug-11 09:19:57

Hi I agree with metal my thyroid meds have doubled since being pg, it is essential that you get the correct dose in the first trimester as the baby is reliant on you for thyroxine. I know it's hard when you have had a miscarriage to go to the doctor but I really think you need to go sooner rather than later x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now