Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Abdominal cramps :(

(15 Posts)
justhayley Tue 30-Aug-11 18:10:44

hiya,
I'm in the early stages of my pregnancy - I had an internal scan last Friday and was told I have to wait two weeks for them to date my pregnancy! I have polisistic overies so my periods are super irregular so they can't work out the date that way.
I took a clear blue digital test and was dates 2-3 weeks although the doctor said I'm probably 6-7.

Anyway whatever I am iv got really bad abdominal cramps. They tend to happen every 3 hours and ease off when I eat something.
They feel exactly like period cramps, but worse last night they woke me up and I was rolling around in agony for over an hour.

I spoke to the doctor and he said because they ease when I eat it can't have anything to do with pregnancy, but he had no idea what they were and didn't do much to find out. Iv always had painful periods but obviously I'm not having a period.

Has anyone else had these pains that ease with food?
I'm worried and my doctor doesn't want to see me until September 9th!!

Thanks
Hayley x

spanky2 Tue 30-Aug-11 18:19:25

I was terrified thoughout my 1st pregnacy. Try not to obsessively worry about it. Have you met a midwife yet? I wonder whether you ought to make an appointment with one. If I was you I would try to see the midwife or at the very least see another doctor. Eat small, nutrious meals to ward off these pains. I wouldn't be happy with this doctors opinion either!

justhayley Tue 30-Aug-11 18:59:44

Hiya thanks for your reply.
No havnt seen a midwife yet, I'm moving out of Lomdon next week and have to wait to move before I can get a new doctor midwife etc etc.

Hate the waiting and thought my doctor should have at least pretended to care what was going on.

Eating little and often is helping even if I feel like I'm eating all the time.

Will try not to worry (easier said than done)

Reading through here it seems a lot of people have cramps when pregnant, I'm not bleeding so hopefully it's common - even if my doctor doesn't understand it - although he's about 12 so maybe I'm his first patient lol.

X

HidingInTheUndergrowth Tue 30-Aug-11 19:38:32

Hi just, you are right in saying that lots of people get cramps in early preg. I had period like cramps which were quite painful up until about 7-8 weeks, your doing a lot of stretching and also the bean is getting good and comfy. I also had stomach cramps early particularly when I was hungry and like you woke up a few times in the night with really bad stomach cramps. I ended up having a few nights of waking up at 5am and eating as otherwise I couldn't sleep.

So while i know it is basically impossible not to worry just try and eat when you feel the need and take it easy. Good luck and congratulations! smile

bushymcbush Tue 30-Aug-11 19:42:52

I wonder if you could be suffering from constipation OP? This is also common in pregnancy (well, it is common in my pregnancies anyway blush) and I can remember being woken in the night by horrific cramping pains and being convinced I was about to lose my baby.

If you think it could be this, try eating prunes - really works for me.

Good luck!

Empusa Tue 30-Aug-11 19:44:42

I get bad cramps too, I'm 9 weeks. One of my books suggested it may be the uterus stretching, which makes sense.

justhayley Tue 30-Aug-11 20:44:18

Thanks ladies, your all much more helpful than the medical staff iv seen so far.

Nope def not constipation everything's working normal.

hopefully it is just my body stretching away making room for a baby or two lol

Weevie Tue 30-Aug-11 21:41:49

hey, just

I just wanted to let you know that I am now 19 weeks and im still having pains, sometimes its like a cramp and other times its a small stabbing pain. I went into A and E once as it got so bad I woke up in awful pain and it even made me cry.

All mine have been so far is growing and stretching pains like others have said.

I know its easier said then done but try to relax, its just your body adjusting =) x

justhayley Wed 31-Aug-11 07:01:59

OMG you poor thing!!, really hope I'm not still getting these at 19 weeks!
Hope they ease off.
I cried the other night - thought I was just being a wimp, my lovely partner said don't worry babe ur body will go through a lot worse during labour I'm sure it's just ur body preparing u cos it knows u can't take much pain!!

Think he was trying to be helpful ...... Needless to say he freaked me out totally have no clue how I'm going to get through birth!

spanky2 Wed 31-Aug-11 08:29:28

Get a tens machine and isotonic sports drinks. I arrived at hospital at 10cm with ds2 thanks to the tens machine and visualisation of Jack Bauer and a chilled glass of chardonnay!

Empusa Wed 31-Aug-11 11:51:09

Just an update here, my cramps got much worse last night. So I'm off to have a scan in a bit, just to make sure everything is ok.

justhayley Wed 31-Aug-11 13:39:19

Hi Empusa, any news? I hope your scan showed everything is ok and your not in as much pain today.

Hayley xxx

Empusa Wed 31-Aug-11 14:57:38

Yep, everything is fine. Nurse said the pain is my womb stretching, and pointed out it's a huge muscle, so will ache. She's recommended parecetamol.

justhayley Thu 01-Sep-11 02:29:53

Glad everythings ok! smile although these pains don't feel that ok!
Its currently 2.20am and I'm bent over the loo in total agony. Iv had no sleep at all tonight sad
Good to no it's ok to take a paracetamal I wasn't sure, I don't usually take them they always make me feel abit sick but right now I'd take sick if it stopped these pains.

I'd kill to have a super hot water bottle on my tummy!

Ok think I'm going to try that thing called sleep again - from what I remember it's quite nice lol.

Xxx

Empusa Thu 01-Sep-11 07:24:28

Hope you are doing better this morning. I got woken up by the pain this morning, so not impressed.

If the pain is worrying you, do go speak to the doctor, if only to put your mind at rest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now