Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Does the cold / flu affect the baby?

(3 Posts)
miamama09 Tue 30-Aug-11 15:03:35

Currently 19 weeks and dying with really bad head cold, flu symptoms getting worse. Feel dizzy, sick, head pounding non stop, can't eat, full of the snots, glands swollen in throat, aching everywhere...

Nothing I can take to make a difference to symptoms, I know, but just wondering if anyone knows what effect, if any, this may/may not have on the baby?...

yummymango Tue 30-Aug-11 15:21:52

I am wondering the same, feeling just like you but I am 36 weeks...

CBear6 Tue 30-Aug-11 16:48:20

No, the cold/flu in itself doesn't affect the baby and your body will always give the best of everything to the baby to make sure he/she is okay - we get what's left over afterwards (which is part of why pregnant women feel run down at times and why it takes ages to shake a bug).

The only thing that can affect baby is your body temperature if it gets too high. Drink plenty of fluids, take paracetamol to knock down any fever, and dress in loose, light layers. If you can stand it then pop a window open to help keep you cool, cool baths or showers can help bring your temperature down too. So that's the main things, stay hydrated and don't get too hot.

Hope you feel better soon smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now