Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What exactly starts labour off?

(12 Posts)
SoBroken Tue 30-Aug-11 12:11:59

At 39+5, I'm pretty curious. Does a signal get sent from baby to say "I'm done"? Or is it part of your brain that decides and releases relevant signals?

TIA

SaulGood Tue 30-Aug-11 12:18:30

I was talking to my consultant about this. He said in all honesty they don't actually know for sure but they presume that it's something released by the baby which then in turn tells your brain to get on with it.

They DO know what doesn't start labour (sex, curry, pineapple etc). It's pretty clear that it's something peculiar to the woman and that particular pregnancy and is some communication between you and the baby.

KellyKettle Tue 30-Aug-11 13:38:06

I thought it was to do with the baby's lungs maturing and releasing a hormone to say "ready now!" and starting ctx.

I agree with Saul that it's unlikely to be the curry/pineapple/sex route that is so often touted to mums-to-be near their due date. I think mother nature is more sophisticated than to be fooled by tropical fruit smile

NeedToSleepZZZ Tue 30-Aug-11 13:38:53

I thought it was me shouting at asking ds to get out! Oh well, you live and learn.... wink

lolajane2009 Tue 30-Aug-11 13:39:49

i always thought it was something saying 'no more room in the inn'

SardineQueen Tue 30-Aug-11 13:42:16

A pessary on the induction ward grin

KellyKettle Tue 30-Aug-11 13:42:25

Here you go

www.drmomma.org/2008/01/fetal-lungs-protein-release-triggers.html

KellyKettle Tue 30-Aug-11 13:44:13

God that article is boring but you get the picture.

addictedtofrazzles Tue 30-Aug-11 13:47:12

I was talking to a friend (who is a consultant) about this last weekend. As someone has already said, they really don't know the answer but she said that the function of the placenta (and its deterioration towards the end of pregnancy) is likely to be one of the reasons that women go into labour. With absolutely no medical hat on, I suspect there are a combination of factors!

nunnie Tue 30-Aug-11 13:55:04

I had been told about the placenta thing as a probable theory.
However I agree I don't think, sex, curry, pineapple or speed bumps make a difference unless of course you are suppose to do them all at the same time, in that case I have no idea I am not a multi tasker.

Sandra2011 Tue 30-Aug-11 15:26:34

My husband said that my son kicked my plug out and I started leaking my waters smile

Needless to say he was a very very active baby...

KellyKettle Tue 30-Aug-11 15:49:56

Actually Sandra that's not too dissimilar to how my labour started. I was just talking to my MW about it last week. DD was very active and the night before my ctx started she did this almighty kicking thing where my stomach went crazy. I felt a bit of a gush and mentioned it to DH and he said "well go and check then" I went to the toilet and it seems it was my bloody show.

That was at about 10pm and my ctx started at about 2-4am the next morning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now