Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Weird symptom - sorry if TMI! - bit worried

(12 Posts)
HotPinkGingham Tue 30-Aug-11 10:47:33

Right, apols in advance as this is a bit of a personal one...

I'm almost 11 weeks pg. Since yesterday night I have had a throbbing/stabbing pain in my vulva/clitoris area. It is worse when I stand up and walk around, better lying down and taking the weight off. No cramping anywhere else. I have tried to look and can't see anything that looks like a varicose vein (!) or otherwise, ahem, unusual.

I can't really find anything that corresponds to this in any of the lists of common symptoms of early pregnancy. A lot of ladies seem to get weird fanjo pains late in pregnancy, but it is way too early for any pressure on cervix etc. for me.

I am thinking of calling my obstetrician but I've been on almost weekly with various things so a little bit embarrassed to call yet again if this is super normal.

Anyone else had this and can give me any idea what it is?

Thanks blush

Renaissance227 Tue 30-Aug-11 11:00:08

Not sure what this is but I have had it on and off since week 16 (now 32 weeks). I think it must just be to do with the baby's position because when mine wriggles it can make it stop!
Don't worry but if you keep getting it and feel concerned please contact your midwife.
Hope that helps!smile

Booboostoo Tue 30-Aug-11 11:05:04

Is it possible you have something stuck inside your urethra, like a tiny bit of dirt or even a hair? They hurt like hell! Although not pregnancy related and can happen to anyone anytime.

ledodgy Tue 30-Aug-11 11:08:48

It probably is a varicose vein.

ledodgy Tue 30-Aug-11 11:10:09

/link{http://www.varicoseveins.co.uk/british-varicose-veins-centre-pregnancy.html/varicose veins in pregnancy}

ledodgy Tue 30-Aug-11 11:10:35

www.varicoseveins.co.uk/british-varicose-veins-centre-pregnancy.html

EdwardorEricCantDecide Tue 30-Aug-11 11:14:23

it's either SPD or a varicose vein, i have both and experience the same kind of pain, (like being stabbed repeatedly with a very long needle!)

i notice its worse when i've been at work (office chairs)

either way unfortunately not much you can do.

keep up pelvic floor exercises and go swimming (float around in the pool) if you can.
check if your local pool does aquanatal classes.

a warm bath also helps temporarily.

someone also told me to put some water on a sanitary pad and put it in the fridge before wearing for a while (although i haven't been brave enough to try this one yet)

HTH

HotPinkGingham Tue 30-Aug-11 16:05:53

Thanks ladies, relieved I'm not the only one! I really can't see any varicose veins (I made DH look too and he couldn't see anything unusal either - we agreed not to speak of it again...blush...there really are no boundaries when you're pregnant, are there?!).

Edwardo thanks v much for the suggestions. I thought it might be a bit early for SPD but that did cross my mind. When did yours start?

Mmmmcheese Tue 30-Aug-11 16:56:16

I get this too and can't see anything that looks like a varicose vein. Also sometimes get same pain up the bum!!

mrsravelstein Tue 30-Aug-11 16:58:02

it does sound exactly like a varicose vein, but i don't know if it's possible you could have one that wouldn't show up on the surface of the skin... mine were quite visible (attractive!)

Dutchie77 Tue 30-Aug-11 17:34:41

Had this too, before I was pregnant, always around my ovulation. I think it's veins getting more blood, for whatever reason. It's gone now. Hopefully it stays away because it can be quit annoying

EdwardorEricCantDecide Tue 30-Aug-11 18:29:09

I've had spd since about 14Weeks I think it's getting worse as I get bigger, am now 33+1 the stabbing pains only started in past 2 or 3 weeks and I have a v visible varicose vein :-(

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now