Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

So apparently a lucozade challenge and a glucose challenge are different things! Who knew!

(6 Posts)
LauraSmurf Tue 30-Aug-11 09:49:10

Not me apparently!

So at booking app ages ago was told that my hospital requires all patients to do a sugar challenge at 28 ish weeks, normally with lucozade.

So my regular midwife wasnon holiday at 24wk app. So I had to phone hosp myself to book app. I said I needed to book a sugar check and was consequently booked in for this morning! So went in fasting and dying of thirst. Only to be told it wasn't needed!

Apparently all I need to do is drink some lucozade befOre my blood tests on Friday morning! Sooo much easier it is 3 mins walk away. Hosp 30 drive away!!

Oops!!

GetOffOfMyCloud Tue 30-Aug-11 16:50:35

I didn't know either, I got very confused.

Make sure you drink the lucozade exactly an hour before your appointment and don't eat or drink anything else inbetween. And when you get to the docs make sure they know that it's for the lucozade challenge, they should make sure you are seen on time then.

banana87 Tue 30-Aug-11 16:58:00

Yes. I had this test this morning as well. Was told to fast from midnight, drink 400ml of Lucozade 2 hours before blood test, then pop in and get blood taken. End of! Was so thrilled that I didn't have to sit around the hospital for hours. Less thrilled about the effects of Lucozade on an empty tummy...

Flisspaps Tue 30-Aug-11 17:23:17

Also - the hospital cannot require you to do anything - they can offer these tests but it is up to the individual patient as to whether they do it or not smile

hugglymugly Tue 30-Aug-11 19:11:36

What would be the point of requiring this particular test for all patients? Surely if there were concerns about gestational diabetes, the level of sugar in the urine sample would flag that up?

<conspiracy mode> I wonder if this is a data-collection study for some research paper. </>

LauraSmurf Tue 30-Aug-11 19:19:01

No, i am just really really dumb.

I called up my hosp to enquire about the 'sugar test' - not clear i know!
They assumed i meant the GTT and booked me in! My dopey naivety didnt know any better! So i dragged my sorry ass out of bed at 7.30 to get to hosp by 8.30 only to be told at 8.45 that i didnt need to be there!

Feel really really stupid.

Seeing my midwife tomorrow for my 28 week appointment. I predict she will laugh at me a bit!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now