Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

IBS-C, Laxatives & Pregnancy

(3 Posts)
voscar Tue 30-Aug-11 09:32:24

Hi Girls,

My partner and I are going to start TTC in January - however I have very severe IBS-C. Which means my bowels (TMI!) simply do not move without the aid of a strong laxative like dulcolax. Obviously I'm going to speak to the doctor, but does anyone here have any experience of using laxatives during pregnancy - how safe are they?

Thanks in advance! x

slowshow Tue 30-Aug-11 09:39:02

I think, generally speaking, stimulant laxatives are considered a bit of a no-no, but stool softeners (like Lactulose) are fine.

Obviously it's worth speaking to a doctor before you start TTC.

bigeyes Tue 30-Aug-11 10:07:07

I am currently constipated and just looked up methods of 'relief' and just read that Lactulose is ok. I am however going to try some prunes and water, its making me so uncomfortable!

You may well find your bowel movements and generally digestive system changes as your diet will and the hormones etc, during my last pg mine actually got better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now