Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Strange pain in side - has anyone else had this?

(9 Posts)
somewherewest Tue 30-Aug-11 08:57:53

For the past few weeks I've had a sharp ache just under my right breast whenever I sit for any length of time. I'm 27 weeks into an otherwise healthy pregnancy and think it must be some kind of pressure on a muscle. Problem is its bloody sore and is making it really hard to work. Has anyone else had anything similar?

KateeTheBump Tue 30-Aug-11 09:47:30

Yes, its the uterus pushing up under your ribcage - it will go away (you will notice your bra will need to go on a looser hook soon) as your ribs move out of the way! I found I had quite a sore spot for a few weeks, especially on the right hand side - some gentle pressure seemed to relieve it a bit. It might be what is classed as round ligament pain, in that your diaphragm goes along the top of the uterus (in the same way that the pelvic floor runs along the bottom).

Make sure you sit up as straight as possible as I found slouching or leaning forwards for long periods made it worse - if you can get up and stretch every so often it might help.

bigeyes Tue 30-Aug-11 10:08:58

My DS had his head jammed up under my right rib cage towards the end of last pg, I used to sit with my hand their, it hurt! Hope it eases for you.

chocolateyclur Tue 30-Aug-11 10:22:48

Yep, me too. It's very uncomfortable. Ive found that a walk usually helps (seems to move the baby down a bit), as does gently resting my ribcage on the desk at work. This is my second pregnancy and it definitely seems worse this time.

Sandra2011 Tue 30-Aug-11 12:16:54

I remember that. It was very unfomfortable but luckily didn't last too long.

Good posture helps.

SaulGood Tue 30-Aug-11 12:21:18

If it's a sharp ache when sitting it's probably the uterus putting pressure on your ribs, causing them to flare.

BUT I'd mention it to your midwife because pain under the ribs, particularly on the right hand side can be a sign of a couple of other more noteworthy issues. When were you last checked? When do you go again? Otherwise ok? Indigestion? Heartburn? Feeling well?

somewherewest Tue 30-Aug-11 17:52:47

Thanks everyone for responding. I was guessing its something like that.

SaulGood. I'm doing pretty well otherwise. I've had heartburn for a couple of months, but it doesn't seem to be any worse than the pregnant woman norm. The pain was only very occasional and mild at my last appointment so I didn't mention it. I'm not due in again for two weeks so I'll give the midwife a call tomorrow.

banana87 Tue 30-Aug-11 20:47:07

Am glad you started this thread as I am 28 weeks and having the same pain--it hurts! I did not get this last time!

lollystix Tue 30-Aug-11 21:45:51

I had this today at work too - didn't know what it was.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now