Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can't sleep and feeling shattered for the day, what am I doing wrong?

(14 Posts)
nunnie Tue 30-Aug-11 08:32:02

This is my 3rd but have never suffered with insomnia with previous two infact the opposite I was asleep before head hit the pillow with other two.

This time I just can't sleep I fidget and wriggle I go to the toilet about 7 times a night and not because I really need to just to keep me sane.

Is there anything I can do to help me sleep? I am 36+4 and DS came at 36+3 and don't think I can physically manage a VBAC if I lbaour now, it takes all my strength to get dressed in the morning.

bigeyes Tue 30-Aug-11 10:25:22

I was a night owl with DS but he was my first so i could sleep on and off during the day, so with your LO's to see to no wonder you are tired. I read a lot of books during the night towards the end. Sorry if this seems obvious but have you tried

Going out for fresh air for a walk during the pm
Having a bath before bed after LO's in bed to relax you?

Maybe this 'antsyness' is the start, do you have any meditation music. Sorry this all sounds a bit lame but I gues if you try to do something different rather than same it may help.

Hope you get through day ok, try to rest even if not sleeping, keep you blood sugar levels even by eating slow realease foods to try and maintain energy. I think you are close FWIW.

MsChanandlerBong Tue 30-Aug-11 14:25:22

Hi Nunnie

Just wanted to second what bigeyes suggests really. Unfortunately I don't think there is a miracle cure when pregnant (ie no pills allowed!!) but I have found that the following helps me:

- get into a night time routine, like a baby! So my body knows when it is going to bed
- don't watch TV/go on the internet right before bed as that seems to liven up my brain
- don't switch the light off in bed until you are really ready to sleep (ie actually dropping off!). Keep a supply of books/magazines next to the bed to keep you occupied (but these should be non-pregnancy related as that just livens up my brain again!)
- if you keep tossing and turning and not being able to settle, turn the light back on and read some more until you feel you are dropping off.

I only seem to get 2 hour bursts of sleep at a time, but if I can manage 3 of these bursts each night then I am usually OK (caveat - this is my first pregnancy, so I do nap during the day if I only manage 4 hours sleep at night).

Hope this helps. It is horrible being exhausted, but stuck awake with your brain whirring away, isn't it? sad

bigeyes Wed 31-Aug-11 11:48:39

Hello nunnie, how are you? Has your labour started? Have you had any sleep? Hope you and baby well smile

nunnie Wed 31-Aug-11 11:51:14

Baby not here yet thankfully as not ready really.
Got a good nights sleep last night, but I think that is because I was prescribed antibiotics for a UTI and they made me drowsy.

Thank you smile

bigeyes Wed 31-Aug-11 20:24:53

Thats good, not about UTI, maybe this was contributing to your nightly visits to lav. Hope you get another few in too nunnie may not be far off for you grin sleep well wink

hazelnutlatte Wed 31-Aug-11 22:41:44

Hi Nunnie, I don't have much to suggest but wanted to let you know I'm in the same boat as you, I just can't settle at night and the more tired I am the worse the restlessness gets! I'm 36+5 so I think we also have the same due date!
At the moment I am drinking a mug of horlicks and dreading going to bed because I just know I won't sleep. Of course the more anxious I get the worse I sleep so I just get worse and worse. The only thing that has made it better for me is that I have now finished work for maternity leave so I don't have to get up in the mornings.
I am trying reflexology tomorrow so will let you know if that helps at all.

LoveBeingIgnoredByMardyBra Thu 01-Sep-11 05:10:12

Me too!

Dd who is 3.5 has had a bad few months and thinks it rubbed off on me. I've been awake since 3am sad am due a week today.

dribbleface Thu 01-Sep-11 06:51:03

me too! think i woke every hour last night, either needing the Loo or because of tightening's. am 35 weeks and started mat leave this week but have a 3 year old DS so little rest in the day. oh well! thank god for ceebies!

Booboostoo Thu 01-Sep-11 07:07:55

I couldn't sleep either during my last week and my waters broke at 37+3 so hopefully it will be a short lived problem and baby will be with you shortly!

nunnie Thu 01-Sep-11 07:53:00

Back to not sleeping last night so the antibiotics either have worn off or it was a coincidence that I slept.

Had a hot drink and read before I tried to go to sleep, will count sheep tonight.
And to top it off the tireder I get the itchier I get spent about 3 hours itching like a mad woman last night.

DD was up at 6 as usual and full of beans DS is a lovely sleeper and will sleep most of the day if I allowed him, but DD sleeps at night and spends the entire day in noisy, messy, fun filled planning mode.

bigeyes Thu 01-Sep-11 09:45:21

Oh nunnie shouldnt you call MW about that itching? Isnt that a sympton of sumit you gotta watch out for. Sorry you didnt sleep again, stick to your new routine, your body should get used to the 'ques' like them rats in a maze

nunnie Thu 01-Sep-11 09:47:05

Hi bigeyes, I have been tested because of the itching and it was clear, stopped for a few days, but started again last night, think it is just tiredness and stretching related.

bigeyes Thu 01-Sep-11 10:51:16

Oh sounds like some luxury treat cream/poption thing for you nunnie - plus are you getting too hot at night, this can make you itch.

Pleased you had a tested. Im only 15 wks and dare to feel sorry for tossing and turning and having a sore back - I dread to think what I'll be like in third trimester.

Hope someone comes along with other tips for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now