Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Books?

(15 Posts)
Empusa Mon 29-Aug-11 19:22:22

Have you read/been reading any good pregnancy books?

I've found Expecting to be quite good

susey Mon 29-Aug-11 20:09:30

I know this sounds like an advert/product placement, but the only book I have so far is mumsnet's Pregnancy and it is excellent. A massive book though! Would love more recommendations.

boba82 Mon 29-Aug-11 20:16:37

I love "What to expect when you're expecting" and have bought the First Year one for when baby's here.

UtterlyMonkey Mon 29-Aug-11 20:46:13

I loved Christine Hill's Pregnancy Guide - it put common sense back into perspective :-)

ClarityMa Fri 02-Sep-11 22:50:57

Try new book out called The Heart in the Womb....really inspiring

JambalayaCodfishPie Fri 02-Sep-11 23:24:52

If you fancy something a bit light hearted, I'm reading "what to expect when you're expectED" - written from inside the womb! grin

Misty9 Sat 03-Sep-11 05:19:23

I've quite enjoyed the netmums guide to pregnancy as it gives a week-by-week breakdown and is quite informal.

Sandra2011 Sat 03-Sep-11 15:12:20

Best pregnancy book ever is Your Pregnancy Week by Week by Dr. Lesley Regan.

If I had any problems in my pregnancy I found explanation in this book.
Must have for first time mothers.

www.amazon.co.uk/Your-Pregnancy-Week-Lesley-Regan/dp/1405348798/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_1

MrsBloomingTroll Sat 03-Sep-11 17:21:39

The Bloke's Guide to Pregnancy is a good read both for your OH and for you. Light-hearted, good to keep by the toilet for him to read and educate himself!

Oeisha Sat 03-Sep-11 17:46:19

I was recommended to get 1 book and 1 book only be several Mums...I then looked about for one I liked the contents page of and came up with Deans, Ann "The Pregnancy Bible Revised and Expanded" 2010.

Has done almost everything I've needed it to do...except bring me tea and chocolate...

I love the pages on baby's development pages. It has a breakdown for mum by week, but not so much detail that you'd think "well, that's not happening to me, is something wrong?".

The only thing it 'lacked' was information on benifits and tax and the likes, but that'd be difficult to keep up to date with any book.

The NHS purple book my MW gave me covered that very well, it's all available online if you don't get given one (including the entire purple book if needed).

Fresh01 Sat 03-Sep-11 18:39:20

I second the "what to expect when you are expecting" Not really a book to read as such more to look up things, development and symptoms.

The other book I use for labour is "Active Birth Skills" by Juju Sundin. It is an AUstalian book but you can get it on Amazon. she describes what is physically happening to your body during labour and gives skills to try and distract you from the pain during labour. I have used the book skills 3 times now and managed with only gas and air and I wouldn't say I have a good pain threshold. Dh has already said ready that book again before this one is due in dec.

Fresh01 Sat 03-Sep-11 18:40:18

I second the "what to expect when you are expecting" Not really a book to read as such more to look up things, development and symptoms.

The other book I use for labour is "Active Birth Skills" by Juju Sundin. It is an AUstalian book but you can get it on Amazon. she describes what is physically happening to your body during labour and gives skills to try and distract you from the pain during labour. I have used the book skills 3 times now and managed with only gas and air and I wouldn't say I have a good pain threshold. Dh has already said ready that book again before this one is due in dec.

nannyl Sat 03-Sep-11 18:48:44

clarityaMa I have ordered that book today

im 38+6, all booked for my homebirth, and waiting patiently, but would love to read that book 1st!

I also like Natural pregnancy (by Zita West)
Your pregnancy week by week (I love the life size pics of baby)
and mumsnet guide to pregnancy.
also effective birth preparation by maggie howell

Jill72 Sat 03-Sep-11 20:08:10

To be honest I found the pregnancy books not a patch on the information I have found on line - especially this forum.

aethelfleda Sat 03-Sep-11 22:49:43

Rough Guide to Pregnancy by kaz Cooke is very down to earth. Her cloth nappy info is out of the ark (google cloth nappies for better info!) but the rest of the book is great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now