Talk

Advanced search

35 weeks and severe rib pain - can't sleep or sit properly, should I seek drs advice?

(5 Posts)
BumpyBecs Mon 29-Aug-11 11:58:11

I am 35 weeks and for the last month or so have had a really bad pain in my ribs on the right hand side which is so painful when I lie down I am hardly getting any sleep :-( Also hurts when I sit but tends to be Ok whilst standing up.

Wondering if it is because I am only 5'3" and baby is a good size but my bump is big but not massive, perhaps he is taking up more inside of me than in front of me?? He is a VERY active baby.

Have however heard of babys breaking ribs and wonder if I should go to drs -don't want to waste anyones time though.

Mentioned it to midwife and she seemed unconcerned but I didn't really lay it on thick in fairness and prob didn't explain how much it hurts.

Anyone else had this? Not sure I can cope with this another 5 weeks with just paracetamol....

threeisamagicnumber Mon 29-Aug-11 12:32:02

I had this (I am 5 ft 4). It is horrid. I did go and speak to the Dr. However there was little they could do sad. I would speak to your Dr if it is getting unbearable. In my case I think it was due to no room to grow!

Woodifer Mon 29-Aug-11 12:47:58

Hey Becs - the doc may be able to advise about painkillers / sleeping positions?? Also if its really bad you might be able to get induced a bit early.

BumpyBecs Mon 29-Aug-11 14:23:47

Thanks ladies. My husband said go to A&E but can't really see what they can do as can't have an x ray and if if something is wrong there is nothing they can do with ribs anyway.

Think you are right threeisamagic number and think not alot of room inside!! May see drs tomorrow and see if they can help then. Hoping not to get induced if I don't have to be......

footyfan Tue 30-Aug-11 16:41:53

I've got exactly the same thing as you - just on the right hand side as well. It's been getting worse over the past few weeks (nearly 35 weeks now) - now feeling totally uncomfortable in most positions.

I find lying down on my side with a pillow between my legs is the best to reduce the pain - but still not great.

My doctor says there's nothing you can do. It's inflammation/movement in the ribs sad

It's also making my bump numb/feeling bruised as well. Do you have this too?

I just keep thinking it's not long to go - and hopefully DC will get sick of having no space and get out early!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now