Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Will NHS do an amniocentesis with no previous tests? - any experience?

(5 Posts)
georgethecat Sun 28-Aug-11 15:47:18

Hi I was unable to have blood test as I had twins but one had died. Was booked in for a nuchal scan but didn't go as I thought I wouldn't be able to make a decision based on percentages. Partner went mad as knowing about any disability is really important to him. So am going to approach midwife to see if they'll do these tests arse about face. Any experience appreciated

sevensevenseven Sun 28-Aug-11 18:31:07

When I had DS they didn't do the nuchal test, they just worked out the percentage based on a few questions and a blood test. Have a chat with your mw to see if you can have the blood test first. Amniocentesis does carry a 1% miscarriage risk so IMO it's worth having the blood test first to see what your odds of downs etc are then deciding whether or not you need to have amnio.

HTH!

Leo4 Mon 29-Aug-11 01:46:30

An amnio is a big decision. Would your partner want to abort a child with a disability or just be prepared. I ask this because I had an amnio at 32 weeks because I wouldnt abort whatever but I wanted to be prepared. Tbf I did have a reasonable risk for chromosomal disorders as even though the nuchal and bloods came back fine they found soft markers for the syndromes. So I don't know if they will do an amnio without a risk assessment. I would recommend waiting for an amnio if you are just preparing yourself because it's less risk to the baby. Ie they may be born early rather than a miscarriage. Anyway gd luck with your decision xx

jenniec79 Mon 29-Aug-11 11:59:29

Amnio was around before the nuchal scanning and bloods, and gives a definitive answer. But it has risk of M/c attatched. It sounds like you both need to speak to your doctor (guessing consultant care if you're a complex pregnancy) about the options.

NoMoreWasabi Mon 29-Aug-11 12:20:15

I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of one of your twins. How far gone are you now?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now