Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

So what's the deal with the first poo after giving birth?

(28 Posts)
pruney1977 Sun 28-Aug-11 12:03:06

I've read a few posts which allude to the fact that the first poo after giving birth can be traumatic? Anyone prepared to put me out of my misery with TMI and tell me why?
Also, I've never been constipated all through this pregnancy, regular as clockwork 2-3 times per day as per usual so will that make a difference to the dreaded first poo?
I'm just wondering what the deal is being a naive first timer.

DecapitatedLegoman Sun 28-Aug-11 12:10:03

It feels like your insides are going to fall out.

tabulahrasa Sun 28-Aug-11 12:11:47

Your bits are all sore and not back to where they usually are - so yep it feels like your insides are all falling out

SoupDragon Sun 28-Aug-11 12:14:11

it all depends on how much repair work you've had done. mostly, its all to do with your maintain running riot.

I had a 3rd degree tear with DS1 and was stitched from here to eternity but the First Poo, whilst feared greatly, was actually not bad.

HotChip Sun 28-Aug-11 12:19:12

More scary than painful. I had episiotomy and stitches so was v. tender.

I couldn't go in the hospital (and I'm usually a poo anywhere kind of gal!) but managed my first morning back at home 3 days after birth after lots of false starts. grin I wanted to but couldn't because I thought it would hurt but it didn't at all. Bigger relief than the birth itself!

I suppose it's different for everyone depending on whether they tore in that direction or are bruised.

I'd say make sure to keep eating and drinking and ask for lactulose to keep things soft if you're worried. Do whatever it takes to get relaxed (open mouth breathing, candles, wine?). Clean well with a wet wipes or shower.

LoveBeingAtHomeOnMyOwn Sun 28-Aug-11 12:23:18

Mine was fine too. Thought was worse than actually was.

BerthaLovelyBertha Sun 28-Aug-11 12:52:09

After my second I had a lot of stitches, 3rd degree tear, it wasn't nice. The first poo was very hesitant to say the least.

Everytime I did a wee I had a small jug of warm water that I poured over myself to reduce the pain and when I did a poo I held a clean sanitary pad over the area between my vagina and my anus (what is that bit called?) and pushed against it whilst I was trying to have a poo. The MW said it would help protect me from any ruptures.

YouCantTeuchThis Sun 28-Aug-11 12:54:45

I second the technique of holding a pad to your stitches (perineum) for the first jobby.

BerthaLovelyBertha Sun 28-Aug-11 12:58:00

Perineum! Yes, thats what its called! D'oh!

CBear6 Sun 28-Aug-11 13:34:45

Even if you've got no stitches the folded up pad method is recommended (I had second degree tear and MW said she recommends it to everyone regardless). It supports your poor stretched/bruised perineum and lessens the feeling that your insides will fall out.

The thought is definitely worse than the actual experience, post-birth it feels like you've been repeatedly kicked in the crotch by a donkey and by the time a few days have gone by you're starting to feel a little bit less sore and the thought of doig anything that might aggravate it - including a poo - is stomach churning.

Lots of apricots/figs, etc can help, also plenty of water. Avoid straining and try raise your feet slightly with a little step or foot rest.

cadelaide Sun 28-Aug-11 13:39:57

I was fine with all three, although scared the first time.

Like the others said, get a big pad (well they're all huge after birth aren't they?), press it firmly against everything except your anus and off you go.

dribbleface Sun 28-Aug-11 14:28:30

definitely do the pad trick but my experience was fine. i was eating bran flakes and raisins for breakfast though!

Georgimama Sun 28-Aug-11 14:30:01

After 3rd degree tear I thought I was going to have a prolapse of everything (although it was fine), and was on Fybrogel for about 2 weeks. After c section it was completely normal.

SummerLeaps Sun 28-Aug-11 14:39:08

Oh yes, I second (third, fourth) the holding of a pad over the perimeum. I learned that from mumsnet, no-one went near me for hours after the birth in the hospital to tell me that.

Basically, even if you do not have alot of stitches (I had a second degree tear), hold the pad gently but firmly on the perimeum and ease, don't push.

Mine hurt a little, not much, but it was more fear of everything prolapsing.

everything in there is kind of loose and has been turned on its head, so you just need to go easy.

It will get back to normal though.

TooImmature2BDumbledore Sun 28-Aug-11 14:42:11

I was on antibiotics post-birth and they upset my tummy so much that pooing was not a problem! Don't think anything solid came out...blush Anyway, I was quite relieved as meant there was no attempt at pushing.

muriel76 Sun 28-Aug-11 14:47:19

Bacially your fango feels 10x it's normal size and is all swollen and bulging so when you try and ahem accomplish a poo everything feels like it is going to burst open and explode into the toilet bowl......

Unless you are very lucky, of course.

Any stitches and the accompanying 'bursting' potential also adds to the worry.

You've had some good advice here though, like PP have said just take it easy and don't strain. It will happen on way or another grin

pruney1977 Sun 28-Aug-11 15:03:26

Thanks guys, something to look forward to I guess :0
I do have bran flakes for breakfast every morning anyway (I just like them and it keeps me regular) so sounds like that might help.
Will defo try the pad trick as well.
My mum had 5 kids naturally and was never cut, nor did she tear. 3 out of 5 of us also had the biggest heads on the ward when we were born and they said she was just naturally stretchy down there - I'm hoping that I'm the same.

MrsBloomingTroll Sun 28-Aug-11 22:13:36

Just to add to what others have said, it's because giving birth feels like sh*tting a melon. You push into your bottom when you give birth.

So then the first poo can be rather sore...using the same muscles and made worse if you have stitches nearby. Be prepared for piles, which I have found more painful than the stitches both times!

Essential kit to have at home/in your hospital bag includes Senokot tablets, dried fruit/prune juice, moist toilet tissue/wipes and Preparation H gel. Especially if you have to take iron tablets!

Dont't forget the pelvic floor exercises!

rebecca2011 Mon 29-Aug-11 10:15:48

Just don't make the same mistake as me - I was scared to go and held it for ages, which makes the constipation worse.

When I finally tried to go, my pushing muscles down there wouldn't work properly (I was telling them to push harder, they were saying 'no - we've done enough for you with pushing out the baby, we're on holiday for a week! I don't care if you can't go'

When I finally went (sorry tmi) the end of it was about three times the 'normal' size, which I had to somehow get through my bottom... The word 'struggle' didn't cover it...

But it does get better really quickly - within a couple of weeks everything was back to normal!

Seeker Mon 29-Aug-11 10:18:46

TMI here- both times I ended up putting on a rubber glove and " helping" it out.

Just so you're prepared for anything!

TheMitfordsMaid Mon 29-Aug-11 10:23:16

I sat on the loo after a bath and a mug of strong coffee and waited....and waited.....it took 5 days in the end and a big dose of lactolose. Lovely.

NLsupportsawomensrighttochoose Mon 29-Aug-11 10:26:31

Just keep drinking LOTS of water. I was really chuffed with dd3 because the first poo was no problem at all. Three or four days later I had terrible constipation! Keep drinking, keep walking, eat all the right stuff - grapes are good imo.

rebecca2011 Mon 29-Aug-11 10:46:40

TheMitfordsMaid - phew, hope it wasn't a continuous five days! That's a long time to be on the toilet!

DH had to bring me up a cup of hot coffee too, to try to get things moving (which didn't work).

For me - I think it was several things the contributed to making it worse. The first was that, even when I was on the toilet, I was scared to push. The second was the constipation making it difficult. The third was that I couldn't push properly and the fourth was that I didn't feel like I had enough time to sit there - which made me try to rush and go quickly (which has the opposite effect).

Poweredbypepsi Mon 29-Aug-11 14:55:46

with my other children it was a case of going while holding a pad (or with my first a sponge or flannel - since i had multiple small cuts and grazes and even a pad felt like sandpaper). With my 4th i found that even though i had no cuts etc my muscles just wouldnt work it no matter what i had no pushing power! It was very disconcerting as i had never had this problem before, of course i left it and left it so that when i actually did go i ended up cutting myself which was pretty painful. My advice if you cant go do something about it rather than faffing around for a week waiting for your muscles to wake up on their own!

pruney1977 Tue 30-Aug-11 18:26:12

Really TMI alert so don't read this post if you're squeamish!

I had a thrombosed pile a few years ago which the doctor cut open and removed (what he described to me as blackcurrant jam - gross!). The first poo after that (2 days later when I dared to) was agony, as were all poos for the following 2 weeks. I really can't imagine it being as bad as that as I couldn't sit down on my arse for about 3 weeks, such was the pain and cream, suppositories and ointment were no good because of the position of the pile.

I think I'm going to continue with the lots of water, the bran flakes for breakfast and plenty of fruit. Or failing that have a curry soon after giving birth and get the runs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now