Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Will I have to wear a nursing bra at night?

(15 Posts)
whimsicalquark Sun 28-Aug-11 03:11:28

Could anyone tell me if after I have had my baby I will have to start wearing a nursing bra during the night ? Will my breasts leak during the night ? (I'm planning on trying to breastfeed if this makes a difference? ) Sorry if this seems a silly question, all these random unanswered questions keep popping into my head, my first baby is due in November and I'm getting very stressed worried that I haven't a clue what I'm doing !confused

LoveBeingAtHomeOnMyOwn Sun 28-Aug-11 04:30:43

Firstly congrats and don't feel stressed.

I found it better to wear one, it support as boobs were very heavy at tines but also to wear pads in case I leaked. Don't know big yours are but mine are bug and it was more more comfy this way too. Hth
[frin]

CitizenOscar Sun 28-Aug-11 04:38:20

I did at the beginning - for support and because I did leak a bit. Now my baby is 10 weeks and I don't anymore. But I do always wear a top in bed because sometimes I leak a bit (eg from one boob when I'm feeding from the other) and the top soaks it up, which is more pleasant than having it dribble down my tummy!

You won't know how your breasts will behave until you get there but it's probably best to assume you will wear one, at least until your boobs settle down a bit.

Hth

needsanswers Sun 28-Aug-11 05:29:22

hi i think its defferent for everyone but i had to wear a nursing bra untill the day i stopped feeling, i had a few times my nursing pad somehow fell out and woke up coverd in milk, was all throught the sheets etc. Changing sheets in the middle of the night when you have a baby is NOT fun lol. i think it will just be a wait and see game

Sandra2011 Sun 28-Aug-11 09:06:08

I used a sportsbra. Extra comfy smile

wobblytoothfairy Sun 28-Aug-11 09:14:59

Jo jo mamma bebe (?sp) used to do a bra for wearing at night. It was a bit like a crop top but really soft so no straps to dig in, and it held nursing pads in place well. They weren't very expensive, but that was 4 years ago so not sure if they even still do them grin

Mothercare also does (did?) sleeping bras like the ones wooblytoothfairy describes. Very comfortable, and designed for feeding.

You might find you need to sleep on a towel for the first week or so, just until everything settles down.

notcitrus Sun 28-Aug-11 10:48:31

It's very personal - for the first few weeks I just slept on a towel and then I wore my daytime nursing bras solely because I leaked a lot. I leaked a lot more than most people though - in the end I stopped feeding with my left breast as I was fed up of it leaking and not being good for feeding 6 months later, which solved the problem (carried on bf until 14 months with no problem after that).

grubbalo Sun 28-Aug-11 11:44:05

I would say it is just a matter of choice and luck. I was all equipped with breastpads etc and have never leaked once so they were a total waste of money - and I've also never worn a bra at night either. And it's nothing to do with size either as far as I can tell - my SIL has much smaller boobs than me and leaked like mad!

diddygirl Sun 28-Aug-11 11:53:48

I had to wear one 24/7 due to leakage. Sometimes they were stuffed with about 3 breast pads to soak up the milk. In the very rare event that I tried to do without, I ended up with huge wet patches on my jama top.

Did anyone experience jets of milk squirting all over the place from the other boob while baby was feeding on the other?!!

aStarInStrangeways Sun 28-Aug-11 11:58:15

I've leaked like mad both times. I did wear a soft crop top type bra plus pads at night the first time, but found I still often leaked through it. This time I can't be arsed with the discomfort (hate sleeping in bras) so am just keeping a folded muslin handy - feed on one side, press muslin against the other, sorted smile

LoveBeingAtHomeOnMyOwn Sun 28-Aug-11 12:06:47

Diddy no but do remember looking at dd when shed come off and thinking what's that as it carried on spraying in her face shock

Catsu Sun 28-Aug-11 12:13:50

Looks like I'm in the minority but I've got ginormous boobs and don't leak at all and I find it more comfy to not wear a bra at night. I just wear a vest top like usual

diddygirl Sun 28-Aug-11 14:38:30

I had that too LoveBeingAtHome!

StringOrNothing Sun 28-Aug-11 14:40:37

I had D cups while nursing, but still needed to wear soft crop tops at night to hold breast pads in place - at least for the first few weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now