Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnant and a bit shell shocked [shock]

(20 Posts)
KittyAnne Sat 27-Aug-11 09:18:26

Hello..This is my first post; I've just joined MN as I found out I was pregnant last week (6wks) and I'm still in a bit of a daze. I am lucky to be in a stable relationship and although we were not trying to have a baby, we are looking on this as a slight shift in our schedules.. The trouble is, as someone with all the maternal drive of an alley cat, I'm a bit new to this. One minute I'm over the moon and looking at baby outfits, two minutes later I'm in tears because I don't know how I'll cope. I even cried watching DIY SOS. I would like to find out other women's experiences. Is this normal so early on? Or should I be concerned? I do appreciate how lucky we are. Anyway, I hope everyone's having a lovely weekend and I hope to learn all the acronyms soon...

schobe Sat 27-Aug-11 09:23:12

Totally normal to cry over stupid shit like DIY SOS. Fgs don't listen to any power ballads or you'll be in bits.

Take it slowly, you've plenty of time to get used to the idea. Join a group in the antenatal groups bit of MN. Good luck.

Squiglettsmummy2bx Sat 27-Aug-11 09:24:44

Hi kitty & welcome,
I think you will find with your hormones all over the place that what you are feeling is completely normal. Even people who have planned their pregnancies get that Omg what have I done feeling so you are definitely not alone. Also the crying over everything & anything is par for the course & in my experience (3rd child due in february) that gets worse as pregnancy goes on. I'm 15 weeks now & can cry at anything!!!
Congratulations on your pregnancy grin x

KittyAnne Sat 27-Aug-11 09:37:21

Thanks to you both; I feel much better now. DP (see? learning) is handling it much better than I am, but then he can still drink. wink
Good to be aware that I may be an emotional wreck for several weeks to come... will take Heart and Michael Bolton off my playlists..
Squiglett, it can't be that bad if you're on the third go.. smile Congratulations to you too. x

kat2504 Sat 27-Aug-11 10:05:20

Don't watch extreme makeover home edition either! That will really get you going. The emotions and mood swings are totally totally normal, it's mostly your hormones and partly the fact you are adjusting to a big change in your life.
Come and join us on April 2012 babies on the Antenatal threads (I'm presuming you will be due sometime at the end of April?)

pruney1977 Sat 27-Aug-11 10:18:44

Welcome to MN and congratulations on your pregnancy.
Our pregnancy was planned and we were TTC for 3.5 years but when it finally happened, I was definitely in shock for a good few weeks. Although we really wanted the baby, I still had moments where I wondered if I'd be okay with a baby and was it really what we wanted (absolutely nuts as we'd been trying for so long!).
For me, it felt like I was pushing on a locked door trying to get through for so long and then it suddenly opened and I was stumbling and couldn't find my feet. I would say i didn't feel in my stride with it until after the first scan. My tears started in abundance then but that also coincided with finishing my anti-depressants so could've been a bit of both.

KittyAnne Sat 27-Aug-11 10:45:57

extreme makeover home edition set me off when I wasn't up the duff so f*ck knows what I'd be like now grin

Thanks for the lovely welcome. I'm going to mosey over to April Babies and then think of something for AIBU ;) Oooh getting into this now. Who knew..

Bartimaeus Sat 27-Aug-11 11:01:20

Congratulations!
And welcome to the biggest rollercoaster of emotions and changes (physical and mental) you'll ever experience grin

It's totally normal to have the rollercoaster of emotions. I really want this baby and it was all planned (though came much faster than expected) but I still had a "oh my god what have I done moment" - although mine was at 6 months...

Oh and you'll need to develop a thick skin for AIBU if you post on a contraversial topic (and there are many of them!). Don't be put off mumsnet if you get some arsy replies - there are hundreds of very helpful and lovely posters on here. And some who'll argue black is white just for the sake of it wink

MmeLindor. Sat 27-Aug-11 11:04:00

Congratulations and welcome to MN.

Stay away from MN for a bit, it can be a bit scary for first time posters with hormone surges.

KittyAnne Sat 27-Aug-11 11:06:46

I'm in PR darling I've skin like a rhino. ;)
This site is hilarious & pulls no punches. I looked at netmums (is that illegal around here?) but didn't really think it was for me. Some of those bloody websites gloss over this whole baby business. They don't mention 'you might throw up on First Capital Connect because the man beside you smells like cup a soup'.

motherinferior Sat 27-Aug-11 11:07:04

Come on in, sweetie. I was in major shock up till, well, second stage labour. A decade on, I'm really quite used to it grin

Bartimaeus Sat 27-Aug-11 11:08:47

Not illegal to look at netmums smile and I think most posters here have looked and decided it's too fluffy and prefer mumsnet. I couldn't cope with the flashing things and the tickers.

I love mumsnet - like you said, some very straight talking people but also a lot of heart. And very few "huns" to read...

MmeLindor. Sat 27-Aug-11 11:11:34

I hope you spewed on Cup-of-Soup-Man's shoes.

KittyAnne Sat 27-Aug-11 11:17:13

Oh God, I hate 'hun'. A girl in work calls me hun. I always think why are you calling me that? I never sacked Rome.

MmeLindor. Sat 27-Aug-11 11:24:58

KittyAnne
I think you are going to fit in here just fine. Maybe think of a slightly less <ahem> netmumsy name.

MaMattoo Sat 27-Aug-11 11:31:23

Congrats!! And welcome to the insanity of being pregnant and a slave to hormones for a while to come. It is perfectly normal. I have never been the weepy kind but I remember standing in the curtains section at John lewis and crying - proper howling type - for no apparent reason! Also crying over news in the metro paper! It's ok..like someone said you have time to get used to this. Believe me maternal or not by the time you are ready to give birth you will be itching to see baby and hold it close and also take a giant sniff from the top of babies head and well over and bawl all over again! grin
Congrats!!!

KittyAnne Sat 27-Aug-11 11:31:37

Ok, will change to cumguzzle99 grin

kiki22 Sat 27-Aug-11 12:32:10

I'm 18 weeks unplanned and have only just about got my head around it and stopped freaking out! We are also looking at it like a bit sooner than expected but oh my god is it a shock! i've grown up with babys as my mum is a childminder could change a nappy with my eyes closed and make up bottles standin on my head but i'm still worried how i'll do it!

I think we'll both get over the shock in about 18 yrs or so smile

NorthernChinchilla Sat 27-Aug-11 12:40:28

Hi cg99! I'm in a similar place- first pregnancy, and only been on MN a couple of months. I knew it was my home when I found someone stating that only on MN would you get flamed for bad grammar but no-one bothers about cunt.
Seconding joining an AN thread, especially if there's one for first timers in your month- we're all due in December, and can discuss topics like 'what the fuck's a romper suit and how does it differ from a babygro?!' without feeling like a total muppet.

Congratulations, stock up on hankies for the random bawling sessions, and fingers crossed you don't get morning sickness!

ToriaPumpkinPasty Sat 27-Aug-11 13:16:30

Congratulations!

Second all the posters who have said take power ballads and certain TV channels off your subscriptions, also avoid cards that say "Mum" in the supermarket (mother's day had me howling like a baby this year, in the middle of the aisle at Tesco) and any film that has the potential to make you well up, in fact any film. I'm pretty sure Ice Age isn't meant to make you cry... Neither is Lady Gaga come to that...

As for the shock bit, I've been wanting to TTC for years now, literally years, but OH was being all sensible about money/house etc, then it took us a few months before getting that elusive BFP and I still have days (31 weeks atm) where I think "What on God's green Earth have I done?!" I sat awake at 2am at one point panicking about how to put the baby to bed. That would be the baby that at the time was about the size of an orange.

Oh, and yesterday I burst into tears because the printer was out of ink. You're gonna love it wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now