Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

am i a wierdo?

(14 Posts)
needsanswers Sat 27-Aug-11 01:14:20

currently nearly 25weeks with dc2 and am finding the weirdest smells AMAZING!! i feel like a freak lol at the moment my favorite smells are petrol, nail polish, heat tape (my partners a carpet layer and uses heat tape to join carpet) even the odd exhaust fume can smell pretty good! Normally (not being pregnant) i don't have obsessions with with strange smells so why now? will it go away? i feel like a crazy women, when putting petrol in the car i may drip a little on the bottom of my pants so i can smell it the whole way home... and casually opening the nail polish bottle for a quick sniff on my way out of the room LMAO. is it harming the baby? is anyone else in this situation?
My low point was DP coming home from work last night asking if i had sniffed the nail polish, me replying, um no why would you say that? his answer you put the bottle close to your face its all over your nose blush OMG...

Playingwithbuses Sat 27-Aug-11 01:17:02

hmm...

lolajane2009 Sat 27-Aug-11 01:27:46

sounds like pica cravings tbh. you are not a wierdo.

MaMattoo Sat 27-Aug-11 01:34:22

Watch the fumes though, they can be harmful in the long run. Have you heard of street poverty and substance abuse including glue and shoe polish sniffing? It happens!!!
Pls don't take this the wrong way though grin it's fine...I was the other way round I could smell moms medicine box from her cupboard, in her room, on her floor..and it made me barf! I could smell cologne on the tube and it made me sick. I would rather be you than me when pregnant!!!

notlettingthefearshow Sat 27-Aug-11 06:23:43

Sounds like pica cravings to me too! It is unusual to be into smells that much (although I always love the smell of tar, ALWAYS), and I would be very careful about things that are not meant to be inhaled directly. Nail polish should be fine but not petrol or chemicals.

Are there any nontoxic smells you like?

lolajane2009 Sat 27-Aug-11 13:47:31

coffee, but hated it before, and alcohol but i am almost teetotal. Last alcohol I drank made me pregnant though.

needsanswers Sun 28-Aug-11 05:20:33

lol i may have exagerated a little im not a crazy women who sits there sniffing a petrol can lol but i have to admit when i do smell these things i do think to myself god that smells good grin .... what is a pica craving? not sure i have hurd of that before?
MaMattoo oh that must be so horrible! i think i would be constantly in a bad mood the whole pregnancy if i was in your situation!
notlettingthefearshow, lol i havnt directly inhaled petrol etc mostly just the nail polish lmao i do sound like a crazy person, dont like the smell of glue thank god hehe
lol lolajane2009 alcohol tends to be respncible for alot of pregnancys i think :D

lolajane2009 Sun 28-Aug-11 07:57:51

a pica craving is a craving for something non edible... rubber, sand etc.

Dutchie77 Sun 28-Aug-11 17:40:40

It's not strange at all! I like the smell of petrol when I fill up my motorbike, marker pens, glue, nailpolish, paint etc, even before I got pregnant. But hey, I am a weirdo to hahaha

Don't think it's really advisable to inhale or sniff the fumes while you are pregnant. Same thing with chemical cleaning products. I try to use as much as biological stuff as possible. When you do use chemical stuff, it's advised to wear gloves (and I'll wear a dust ask as well LOL)

ChippingIn Sun 28-Aug-11 17:44:16

Dutchie - me too grin

But anything 'fragrant' gives me an instant headache (air freshener, overly fragranced cleaning chemicals, essential oils etc).

...but I'm always happy to fill the car grin

candr Sun 28-Aug-11 20:30:19

Wow, all the smells you listed are the things that have been making me throw up. We had a mum at school who took some plimsolls from lost property as she craved the smell of them and another one who not only wanted to smell but to eat the wax crayons. Try not to get the smells to close to your nose so they are filtered with fresh air but I doubt it will last whole pregnancy. Just glad you are not into eating coal or tree bark loke someone else I met - bit harder to explain to people.

cupofteaplease Sun 28-Aug-11 20:39:34

I also crave smells, rather than tastes, in pregnancy.

Dd1 it was Shake 'n' Vac, anything Lily of the Valley scented, such as plug in air fresheners, air sprays, cleaning products. I also craved toothpaste- the smell drove me wild.

Dd2 it was polystyrene. When the pram arrived and I smelt the packaging I just had to taste it.

Dd3 (current pregnancy) I have started on the toothpaste again. I walked into Clarks and the smell of leather boots was almost overpowering, in a good way! Then at the park there was a pit of chopped up rubber tyres under the swings, in case the children fall off. The smell was gorgeous, I had to bend down and scoop up a handfull and breathe in the lovely scent. Might go back again this week, actually!

Hoto Sun 28-Aug-11 20:42:20

I had a deep passion for sniffing tesco bathroom cleaner in my last pg.

figgygal Sun 28-Aug-11 22:34:41

I have to confess going out with the girls at work for a desk break and liking the smell of their cigs blush

Keep out of direct way of it obviously but it just smells warm! Usually hate the smell of fags too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now