Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Post-natal treats and essentials - what are yours?

(21 Posts)
MrsBloomingTroll Fri 26-Aug-11 22:59:21

In the run up to DC2's birth (last week), rather than fixate on the hospital bag, I found myself stocking up the cupboards at home with various treats and essentials to help when I got home, based on my experience with DC1.

I thought this could help first-timers and those wondering what to give a new mum (NOT flowers!). What are/were yours?

Some of mine:

- huge supply of chocolate, Haribo, cereal bars for the middle-of-the-night-feed munchies
- Guerlain Midnight Secret moisturiser
- fake tan for face...helps to combat the anaemic look in photos
- under-eye concealer....multiple, stashed around the house, handbag, car
- favourite bath oil/foam, body lotion
- face wipes...no time to cleanse face properly
- chewing gum...ditto teeth cleaning!
- dry shampoo...ditto hair washing!
- Neal's Yard Seaweed and Arnica bath foam (healing)
- Arnica tablets and cream
- Lavender and Tea Tree Oil
- Preparation H gel and wipes (Tmi?)
- Moist toilet wipes
- Savoy cabbage and/or Breast Nurse pads (in the fridge)
- Mamma Mio Creams and oils
- an iPad
- a fab nightie from M&S that looks like a maxi dress but works for breastfeeding, chuck a cardi over it and I can answer the door to the postman without feeling embarrassed
- a tie-front shrug cardi to throw over nightie/huge boobs when answering the door...less obvious than a dressing gown

Realise I sound high-maintenance but I only plan on having two DCs, also wasn't prepared for things like piles with DC1! And if you don't deserve a treat after giving birth, of all times, then when do you?!

sidorek Fri 26-Aug-11 23:12:21

mine would be sleep and clean knickerssmile

iceandsliceplease Fri 26-Aug-11 23:19:27

Dried apricots.

Seriously. When I had The First Poo After DS, I was terrified. Before DD was born I heard a lot on MN about dried apricots. Took the advice. The First Poo After DD was so much less traumatic.

MrsBloomingTroll Fri 26-Aug-11 23:35:52

Sleep...sounds nice, must give it a go some time!

I did try prune juice after DC1 for that reason. Took a Senokot this time. It also helps if you elevate your feet whilst on the loo. I've been using DC1's step stool for reaching the sink

MrsBloomingTroll Fri 26-Aug-11 23:40:37

Just remembered another - dark bath towels and bath mat. I bought some cheap burgundy ones from
Tesco...not a time to be using your fluffy White Company towels!

CBear6 Sat 27-Aug-11 09:42:47

- a huge slab of liver and garlic pate and nice bread for toasting
- ickle baby baff bath bombs from Lush, they knock me right off to sleep (and DS too just from the smell so hopefully the same for DD)
- rhubarb vodka and ginger ale
- dried figs (work the same way as apricots)
- foot spa, I had terrible swollen ankles post-delivery last time

melliebobs Sat 27-Aug-11 12:57:50

I like that iPad is on there! lol wonder if can use 'impending arrival of baby in feb' as a justifiable reason for DH to buy me one! lol

PotteringAlong Sat 27-Aug-11 13:09:10

Rhubarb vodka sounds awesome! Did you make it? How? Will it be ready for me to swig sip delicately in november?

MummyAbroad Sat 27-Aug-11 14:11:50

-Brie, Camembert and other favourite "banned in pregnancy" treats.
-huge supply of paracetomol and ibuprofen.
-cordless telephone in bedroom
-bottled water/juice boxes/dried fruit and nut snack packs to stash in bf-ing areas.
-thermos mug so you can actually drink a cup of tea/coffee before it goes cold!

MrsBloomingTroll Sat 27-Aug-11 14:34:11

IPad is definitely essential...no pesky keyboard to contend for lap space whilst feeding the baby! IMHO a much better "push present" than jewellery! grin

Yes to huge supply of paracetemol. I thought, wrongly, that the hospital would discharge me with some painkillers and had to run to the pharmacy to buy some for home.

Ooh, now I want some brie and pate...have been on a real fish/shellfish kick this week, might have to go out for sushi for lunch this weekend!

CBear6 Sat 27-Aug-11 14:38:20

Rhubarb vodka is from DemiJohn, I gve no idea how to make my own! I could jam a stalk of it into a bottle of Absolut and see what happens? grin

corkythecat Sat 27-Aug-11 14:55:07

Pate, I love the stuff!
Have been window shopping for lots of lovely autumn clothes I can buy once I've had this baby (only 2 months to go)
Might have a go at making this when I'm on mat leave Rhubarb vodka

sleepevader Sat 27-Aug-11 17:16:37

The first poo- that brings back memories!

Yes Definately snacky healthy foods.

Brie and a nice cake ( pregnancy related diabetes)

Body shop vitamin c skin boost. Like clarins flash balm but cheaper!

Sexolette Sat 27-Aug-11 17:18:59

Can we have a link to maxi dress style nighty please? smile

PinkFondantFancy Sat 27-Aug-11 17:23:00

Another vote for the link to the m&s nightie, sounds fab!

MrsBloomingTroll Sat 27-Aug-11 21:03:44

Aargh, although I only bought the nightie a few weeks ago, M&S appear to have dicontinued the range (Portfolio) and it's not on their website. I couldn't even find it on eBay.

It is a dark purple (aubergine) modal nightie, sleeveless with a v-neck but stretchy enough to pop under your boobs to feed.

I also got the matching robe, which was White/cream with a pattern in the same purple and lime green.

All in modal fabric.

Am a bit gutted as I was going to buy another one!

sleepevader Sat 27-Aug-11 23:09:47

m.marksandspencer.com/mt/www.marksandspencer.com/Modal-Rich-Lace-Long-Nightdress/dp/B0058Q69SI?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_4&nodeId=42967030&sr=1-4&qid=1314482866&pf_rd_r=194NVCXWTK1P3H4X85MQ&pf_rd_m=A2BO0OYVBKIQJM&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_i=0&pf_rd_p=215485807&pf_rd_s=center-3&un_jtt_v_views=MAIN

Is this it?

MrsBloomingTroll Sun 28-Aug-11 03:40:59

The 3am feed...time to catch up on MN!

Not that one - mine has no lace, so really does look like a dress, not a nightie. Otherwise very similar.

hairylights Sun 28-Aug-11 08:29:03

Mine will be the biggest slab of brie known to man, pate and dipping eggs.

lolajane2009 Sun 28-Aug-11 08:31:11

faggots... strange but true... i have a pack in my freezer that have been there a while calling my name.

KateBC Sun 28-Aug-11 15:30:17

Sushi (mmm) and wasabi peas, massive cravings for them, but get heartburn just at the thought of them

With DS my sister made me huge batches of wholemeal cheese scones and flapjack bars with loads of dried fruit and apple puree in, excellent for middle of the night munchies! Definitely getting her to stock the freezer up this time round smile

And i agree with the dry shampoo/face wipes/bronzer, have put a few bits of makeup in my hospital bag too, as i looked horrendous in the photos first time round

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now