Talk

Advanced search

Are you not supposed to pick things up during pregnancy?

(16 Posts)
bibbitybobbityhat Fri 26-Aug-11 18:41:55

I can't remember - its a long time since I was pg.

Should you be able to pick up a cocker spaniel at 7 months pg, for instance?

I don't remember not picking up my 2 and a half year older toddler when I was pg with no. 2 iyswim - but should I have done?

pruney1977 Fri 26-Aug-11 18:50:11

Well I'm 23wks with 1st DC and I won't pick up one of my dogs (she weighs 11kg) but I do the other (8kg). However, I picked up my 5 year old niece when I was 20 weeks and she was having a crying fit at Legoland and she weighs a lot more! My mum kept telling me to put her down but she was crying so hard and I just couldn't not do it, but it was a strain.
I'm sure I'm just being an over-cautious first timer not picking up my fatter dog but I'm not bothered, took us so long to get pregnant I'd sit in cotton wool if someone told me it'd guarantee a safe pregnancy and I hate cotton wool!

BedHog Fri 26-Aug-11 18:50:31

I've avoided picking up heavy stuff, because I have several friends who carried on lugging toddlers etc around and ended up with very painful SPD.

stripeybump Fri 26-Aug-11 18:52:24

I think you shouldn't place strain on your tummy muscles, so be aware and if you're picking something up that requires a bit of oomph from your tummy, snap your fingers to get someone else to do it. You can of course pick normal stuff up, don't be too precious about it.

tabulahrasa Fri 26-Aug-11 18:54:50

I don't think I could have picked up a cocker spaniel at 7 months...

create Fri 26-Aug-11 18:56:24

I think with DC1 you get "precious vessel" status and generally are protected from lifting. With DC2, the bump provides a very handy shelf on which to rest your toddler! I don't know anyone who refused to lift their toddler becasue they were pregnant

tabulahrasa Fri 26-Aug-11 18:58:21

I'm not sure I could pick up a cocker spaniel now....

banana87 Fri 26-Aug-11 19:06:11

I pick up DD who weighs about 28lbs at 7 months pregnant. Never been told not to and it honestly can't be helped sometimes. So no, unless you've been specifically told not to, I can't see a problem with lifting so long as it isn't heavy lifting and you are bending and lifting.

CBear6 Fri 26-Aug-11 19:12:36

My DS is 2yo and weighs roughly somewhere around 26-30lb, there's no way not to lift/carry him several times a day such as getting him in and out of his cot or in/out of the bath, shopping trolley, high chair, car seat, buggy, etc. and some days it seems like his favourite game is Jump on the Bump.

I think it's generally accepted now that unless there are specific medical reasons it's safe to lift/carry things so long as it's done correctly and you take precautions to protect your back/muscles/joints (e.g., bending you knees). If you've got more than one DC anyway there's often no way around lifting and carrying.

CBear6 Fri 26-Aug-11 19:13:15

I'm 38 weeks.

Fresh01 Fri 26-Aug-11 19:41:20

What I was told by midwife was it is fine to keep lifting things you were use to lifting pre-pregnancy. Just be aware of sudden movements or twisting whilst doing it. I cart my 19 month old 11kg boy around all the time and at least once a day at bedtime lift my nearly 4 year old 16kg daughter to take her to the loo before we go to bed. Do avoid lifting the 5.5 year old though as she is 21kg and have no reason to have to carry her : )
I do kick things like toys across the floor so I only have to bend once to pick up multiple items or if lots of things crawl round putting them on a higher surface then putting away from there. I am 23 weeks with no 4 and although no issues it is the repeated up down I find hardest on the body.

LikeACandleButNotQuite Fri 26-Aug-11 23:29:28

everyone seems to say "dont lift this...or that" to me, but I'd get nothing done if that was the case. For me, its more to do with how certain things are done. For instance, I struggle putting the clothes prop up and also manouvering a full trolley of shopping. I seem OK carrying loads, however, just try and do it sensibly.

Think its about the stomach muscles and how they work when we do certain things

Bartimaeus Sat 27-Aug-11 08:30:34

I think it depends a lot on your pregnancy, how far along you are etc. If it feels a strain then don't do it.

I was told to avoid carrying very heavy weights, for example to get up to our flat, but we do live on the 6th floor without a lift...

My friend was told to avoid carrying her toddler as much as possible (doctor accepted she would have to pick him up at least twice a day) but thats because she was having lots of contractions at 4 months and was signed off work...

First few months I didn't have a problem with lifting and carrying. Now at 35 weeks I can feel that some things are just not a good idea to pick up!

ImBrian Sat 27-Aug-11 18:00:39

I pick up my 3 and 5 year old when I need to and no one helps with the shopping so that gets lugged about as well. Im 28 weeks and I've had no problems or been told not too. Its bending/crouching down that gets me. I don't think my leg muscles are strong enough to support my weight as I try to get back up.

ToriaPumpkinPasty Sat 27-Aug-11 18:39:42

I pick things up from the floor, but don't carry heavy things around. But then I have PGP and an existing back problem. Not sure I could manage a cocker spaniel atm but did manage to boost my six year old neice up onto my lap and into a sensible position about a month ago.

I was told to continue to do things I was used to, so if you're used to picking up dogs and children and it doesn't cause you any pain then you should be fine!

PrincessScrumpy Sat 27-Aug-11 22:04:52

I lift dd1 into shopping trolly and I'm 36w with twins. At 33w I used the bump as a handy shelf for dd to sit on but only for a short time (ie, if she fell in the park and I had to carry her home). It's about lifting carefully.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now