Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When to buy nursing bras in third trimester?

(11 Posts)
apples82 Fri 26-Aug-11 15:32:33

I'm currently 32+4 and am wondering when I should get measured for nursing bras?

I want to go to bravissimo to buy proper bras that will last, rather than cheap ones that'll be ill-fitting, but when should I go for them?

I know my boobs are likely to increase with the milk, but I don't want to leave the shopping too late as every week things get more uncomfortable!

Paschaelina Fri 26-Aug-11 15:35:12

Right. My advice: Get ONE duo pack before you give birth, a cheap one 2 cup sizes bigger than your normal size. Wait til your boobs settle down and only then get measured.

Don't spend any real money on nicer ones til you know what you need.

Paschaelina Fri 26-Aug-11 15:37:27

Then when you have been measured by Bravissimo or similar, go here and go mad.

apples82 Fri 26-Aug-11 15:39:26

Cheers for the advice paschaelina, I'm dreaming of when I can buy 'normal' sized clothes and 'normal' bras, feels like a long time away! smile

Paschaelina Fri 26-Aug-11 15:55:00

I remember. Seriously, you will most likely change completely between now and birth, and then 3 or 4 days after your ribcage will start to shrink meaning you will go down a back size and you will have aquired two helium balloons on your chest which will leak at the slightest touch. No sense spending a fortune til that all settles down a bit and you can trust your boobs more.

PinkFondantFancy Fri 26-Aug-11 16:18:11

paschaelina where would you go tO get the initial couple of bras? I went to John Lewis at the weekend and they were absolutely useless and I'm now stumped on where to try next

Paschaelina Fri 26-Aug-11 16:29:33

I got mine from mothercare in the sale last year 2 for £15 but online probably is just as cheap. ASOS is good pricewise.

roundtable Fri 26-Aug-11 16:36:55

I just got two nursing bras from peacocks for £5 each to put in my hospital bag. When milk comes in and they get bigger I will get some nicer and more expensive ones but I didn't want to spend loads as I don't know what size I will be.

pruney1977 Fri 26-Aug-11 18:06:47

Good thread, sorry to hijack but I can't get any nursing bras in this country in my current bra size (48K, went up 2 cup sizes in first trimester!) so will have to buy from America where I've found one brand that does them. they have a 3-4 lead time on manufacture though as they don't keep all sizes in stock. I'm currently 23weeks pregnant but thinking about ordering a couple within the next month or so as my Dad is visiting my brother so can bring them back for me. I read a website (another american one) and that was saying that with bigger boobed women often their back size changes more than their cup size (I really hope this is the case with me as they only go up to M cup but back size to 52).

nannyl Fri 26-Aug-11 19:44:48

I went to mothercare at the beginning of last week when i was 36+1

I was told i was too early to be measured yet and to come back after 37 weeks, but we had a try on anyway, and she measured me.

The lady said as a rule of thumb drop a back size and go up a cup size (so as I am 38E she suggest 36F)

Many of the 36F bras DID fit properly, but were not very supportive. I tried on another style which was much more supportive and i needed a 38E in that style.

so best to wait a while and wait until your bump starts to drop slightly.

one of my friends is 10 days ahead of me, and this week her bra band size has dropped a size.

I have got a size 14 sleep bra and an emma-jane next generation bra (which fits all sizes from B - F) so far and will probably get measured again this coming week around 38+ weeks.

GlaikitFizzog Fri 26-Aug-11 20:10:50

If you really want to buy something now get something like this that fits a range of sizes.

I didn't buy anything until after DS was born and nursing vests from Mothercare did me until then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now