Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

29 weeks and very breathless

(5 Posts)
strawberrypenguin Thu 25-Aug-11 21:47:58

Over the last 4 days I've been very breathless even while sitting down. Walking up stairs makes me sound like I've just run a marathon and even talking has been an effort sometimes. Laying on my side seems to be the only way to breath normally, not great when at work! Might have to give in and call midwife but wondering if you ladies had any advice?

moomsy Fri 26-Aug-11 12:18:10

Go to boots and get yourself some Spatone with Vitamin C - take two sachets a say with some orange juice or apple juice.

Spatone is iron in liquid and won't give you any of the horrible side effects.

It's incredible how out of breath you can get when your iron levels are low.

cravingcake Fri 26-Aug-11 21:34:31

I have had exactly this (30 wks & only 5 foot so I'm all bump & very squished inside), at first it was quite scary as I had asthma as a kid & the feeling of not being able to get a full breath is awful. Anyways I spoke to my doctor who reassured me everything is fine and referred me to a respitory physio - most of it is common sense but was given the following bits of advice...

Try not to eat too much in one go - with lungs being squished a full tummy will only add to this constricted feeling.

When sitting at a table put your arms & elbows on it and lean forward slightly, this helps lifts your upper body, enabling more air to your lungs.

When sitting on a chair, try to use one with arms for the same reason as above.

Learn how to recognise your relaxed breathing state - put your hand on your tummy, between lower ribs & naval (so top of bump). Breath in through nose and out through mouth. You should feel your hand move with each breath. Then when you find yourself out of breath, stop what you are doing and just concentrate on this for a few minutes.

Hope that helps.

cravingcake Fri 26-Aug-11 21:57:28

Moomsy - I didnt read your post fully but just thought I should add that at my 28 week appointment they did routine blood tests & I am quite anemic so on prescribed iron tablets. I didnt know the two were related but it does also explain it! ta

strawberrypenguin Sat 27-Aug-11 10:03:05

Thanks smile will give both your suggestions a try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now