Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Cramping in early pregnancy

(10 Posts)
Mysecretumbrella Thu 25-Aug-11 21:07:21

Apologies as I'm being very paranoid despite this not being my first pregnancy. At least I hope I'm just being paranoid.

I'm about 7 weeks now and for the past week I've been getting mild cramping feelings - almost like my period is about to start. When i first felt them I was expecting to start bleeding, but as I haven't yet...

I suppose I'm just asking whether anyone has had similar and then gone on to have a healthy pregnancy?

festiemum Thu 25-Aug-11 21:09:39

Yes I did! I had two lots of cramping and blood in my first pregnancy. Once at 6 weeks and once at 11 weeks.

My DD is 7 now! It doesn't always signal the end. I know you'll worry though. Your GP/midwife can refer you to the Early Pregnancy Unit for a scan if you ask.

smile

Mysecretumbrella Thu 25-Aug-11 21:16:00

Thanks festiemum. That is good to hear - I know "stretching" pains are normal but didn't see how cramping could be good. I did call the EPU today and they were very helpful but can't book me in for a scan until next week unless I go in for an emergency walk-in appointment... and I don't think I feel this is an emergency at this stage. On the positive side I've still got symptoms - nausea and tender breasts.

festiemum Thu 25-Aug-11 21:22:24

That sounds good to me. Symptoms are definitely a good thing! Glad you rang the EPU, and if the cramping continues/ you are worried, you can always pop in for a scan next week!

zippy539 Thu 25-Aug-11 21:23:00

I had cramping with DC1 - even went to the docs who said he'd never heard of cramping before in pregnancy so naturally I freaked. Turns out it's relatively common and DC1 is now 10. Hope you get the same result! smile

I had a lot of this during early pregnancy with DS and GP said that stretching pains feel cramp. Do go for a scan if you are worried though.

Mysecretumbrella Thu 25-Aug-11 21:55:57

Thanks for the reassurance. I had a miscarriage a few months ago at around 6 wks and this does feel completely different so I am feeling a bit optimistic. It's just non-stop anxiety though isn't it, this pregnancy lark!

LoveInAColdClimate Fri 26-Aug-11 08:34:41

I had this up until 8 weeks - was assured it was totally normally and just stretching pains. Felt just like bad period pain. Good luck with it all.

twojumpingbeans Fri 26-Aug-11 08:47:20

I am currently 9wks pg and have this on and off too, this is my 2nd and I remember it with DD too. When I went for my routine 'i'm pregnant' appt with my GP they freaked me out about it and sent me straight to the Early Pregnancy unit (I had surgery in feb and had a Fallopian tube removed - they were worried I might have an ectopic).

Anyway, I was bloody terrified but had scan which showed all ok. However, scan did show that I was very, ahem, backed up with poo. Gross, sorry. Damn you constipation!!

So, maybe you just need a big plop!!! I feel much better when I get the pains now as I can put a reason to it.

Hope that you feel better soon.. smile

phlossie Fri 26-Aug-11 08:50:13

I had cramping early on in this pregnancy (3rd). I think it's just ligaments limbering up and everything stretching. But, yes it does feel your period's coming.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now