Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Varicose Veins

(7 Posts)
ginaribena Thu 25-Aug-11 13:31:17

Oh sorry to sound vein but getting really fed up with varicose vein developed down the front of my leg from hip to ankle, and spread into big purple mess of capillaries at the bottom of my shin sad I have 3 1/2 months to go so having nightmares about what my legs will look like by delivery!).

Midwife told me to buy stockings from boots last week but she must be misinformed as none of high street shops sell anything that fits above knee. Can anyone recommend 'hosiery' they have bought for this on line? Will try and get GP appointment this week and see if they can prescribe any tights, (usual problem with London GP easier to see the Queen I think).

Also has anyone had this and then found improved post baby or am I stuck with this now? This is 3rd and final baby so may even look into surgical removal afterwards if it doesn't improve!

Any tips advice welcome!

bigeyes Thu 25-Aug-11 13:34:13

Dont be sorry, i was best pleased when I noticed red spider veins near purple looing bruise thing last week. Sorry I cant recomment tights but do hope you find them.

bigeyes Thu 25-Aug-11 13:34:30

wasnt

Flossie2 Thu 25-Aug-11 19:57:47

Hello, I have the same.. started with my third baby and now 19 weeks into fourth pregnancy it is terrible. My kind midwife referred me to a consultant at hospital to keep an eye on it and they have provided me with "Teds stockings". They're basically compression stockings which are very tight fitting, like flight socks, and go up to the knee. Very unattractive but I must say, they do the job! Cannot wait for cold days when I can hide them under tights and boots. I put mine on first thing and they just avoid the blood pooling in the veins during the day. Definitely worth talking to the midwife about. Am sure she will be very helpful. Good luck!

goodnightmoon Thu 25-Aug-11 22:54:07

that's nothing compared to what i've got, if it makes you feel any better! I always had them to some degree (and have had treatment over the years) but they have gone gang busters now in my second pregnancy. Now at just 23 weeks, I have thick ropes down the inside of both my thighs and into my vulva - totally distorting my lady bits, it's hideous and embarassing (so I'm telling the world on Mumsnet!). The worst area above the back of one of my knees has turned into a hard, painful mass of lumpy veins. My calves have an assortment of veins/capillaries and there's even a big one now running down the front of one of my thighs!
So that is meant to put things in perspective. smile
You can order support/compression tights and stockings online- I just ordered some today from pebbleuk. There are a bunch of sites if you just google it.
They do help - I have not worn them all summer but just tonight couldn't bear the pain any longer and slipped on a compression stocking on my worst leg. It made a big difference.
You should also see a big difference after you give birth - I had them to a much lesser extent in my first pregnancy but some had turned almost black in appearance, which quickly went away. A big vein can mean your valve has weakened, but the offending vein can be broken up through injections (foam or saline sclerotherapy.)
I'm frankly wondering if this is going to affect delivery - I had an episiotomy last time but this time if needed that would probably cut right into one of these monster veins!

bigeyes Fri 26-Aug-11 11:51:56

In view of some posts on this thread I will shut up and admire my legs, even if they are podgy with a few stretch marks, positively walk with pride next time Im in gym pool.

<makes a not of stocking info>

bigeyes Fri 26-Aug-11 11:53:21

note and ...by gym poolside, I do actually swim in pool.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now