Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Fear of catching skin disorder!

(39 Posts)
UtterlyMonkey Thu 25-Aug-11 11:42:17

Due to big changes happening at work, my team have been istructed to move to a new hub to hotdesk as an interim measure so we can familiarise ourselves with the other team members.
One member of the other team has severed eczema and I am paranoid of catching it. I hate to be mean, but Im pregnant and do not want to put the baby at risk. Does anyone know if its contagious??! :-(

BooBooGlass Thu 25-Aug-11 11:43:50

Are you serious? hmm

WeLoveHaribo Thu 25-Aug-11 11:44:01

Eczema isn't infectious, so you can't catch it!

nunnie Thu 25-Aug-11 11:45:37

Eczema isn't contagious.

UtterlyMonkey Thu 25-Aug-11 11:46:37

BooBoo - yes.
Haribo - Are you sure?? If so, phew!

OddBoots Thu 25-Aug-11 11:47:15

Relax, you can no more catch eczema than you can catch a hair colour.

TheOriginalDesperateHousewife Thu 25-Aug-11 11:47:48

Exzema is not contagious!!!

If you really don't want your baby to get eczema make sure you don't wash them in all the crap which comes in the bounty bag when they are born. It really dried out DS1's skin.

However, when I used to hot desk I left a bottle of anti-bac hand stuff on each desk, and used wipes to clean keyboards and phone handsets. (You wouldn't believe how much foundation some people leave on a hand-set)

natwebb79 Thu 25-Aug-11 11:58:41

As a severe eczema sufferer I'm horrified that anyone would think it's contagious! sad

BeerTricksPotter Thu 25-Aug-11 11:59:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

yummymango Thu 25-Aug-11 13:20:32

No eczema is not contagious, but I know what you mean about hot desking. I have a packet of antibacterial wipes with me at work so I can clean the desk/keyboard/phone before I use it. This is mainly because I know there are some people who do not wash their hands after going to the toilet and I wouldn't want to catch anything whilst pregnant. I am sure my colleagues think I am crackers but I couldn't give a stuff tbh!

Crosshair Thu 25-Aug-11 13:30:02

lol

benne81 Thu 25-Aug-11 14:32:52

Oh dear this level of ignorance is actually unacceptable. I know that people are pregnant on here and so you may be a bit more sensitive and hysterical but this takes the biscuit.

The world has gone mad regarding hygiene and this in itself is actually being blamed for the increased cases of autoimmune conditons such as eczema/asthma/crohns etc. The theory goes that we now keep our children so wrapped up in uninfectious/ antibacterial wipe laden/ manically cleaning world that the immune system starts to attack itself (rates of all these conditions were far lower in the past when people wearing latex gloves to tidy the kitchen wasn't the norm!) A few odd germs here and there often don't cause any harm and infact can be beneficial to the immune system - please put things in perspective.

Sit back and use a bit of common sense what diseases and illnesses do you really think you are going to catch from hot desking!!!! Absolute bloody madness - rant over.

AtYourCervix Thu 25-Aug-11 14:33:52

oh my fucking god.

AtYourCervix Thu 25-Aug-11 14:34:59

and also how would you feel about your baby being looed after in a nursery by someone with Aspergers? would you think they'd catch that too?

Mishy1234 Thu 25-Aug-11 14:35:29

How old are you OP?

catsareevil Thu 25-Aug-11 14:38:52

biscuit at the idea of catching it.

Some people with eczema manage to have babies without it putting them at risk. hmm

BooBooGlass Thu 25-Aug-11 14:39:48

Now stupidity's a different matter. I do hear you can catch that.

TheOriginalDesperateHousewife Thu 25-Aug-11 14:45:40

I think the OP already has a child, so presumably not that young.

jumpingjackhash Thu 25-Aug-11 15:02:40

FFS. Really?

jumpingjackhash Thu 25-Aug-11 15:03:37

I can only imagine how you'd react to someone who suffers from eczema. My brother had it very severely as a child and people who reacted like you are now really made his life hell. sad

coccyx Thu 25-Aug-11 15:05:02

No its not contagious, but a lot of things are so watch out!!

TeacupTempest Thu 25-Aug-11 15:06:39

Good grief! I hope your colleague hasn't picked up on this as I am sure they would feel shocked and hurt by the ignorance.

licoriceGreen Thu 25-Aug-11 15:08:12

Be nice, pregnancy is a worrying time and this forum is about giving each other support not being horrible to people who ask for advice or reassurance.

grumpypants Thu 25-Aug-11 15:11:26

There is a lack of education out there, about specific things - why get at the op? She doesn't know you can't catch eczema, and doesn't want it herself. Big deal. Now she knows.

I'm sure there are a lot of conditions out there we are all ignorant of but so what? Let's just act responsibly, and learn about them. She's not refusing to work with the colleague, or suggesting the colleague should be hidden from public view.

Crosshair Thu 25-Aug-11 15:11:44

<rubs eczema on licoriceGreen>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now