Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can you maintain the same weight in pregnancy?

(23 Posts)
HeidiHole Wed 24-Aug-11 11:33:16

Hi

I'm not currently pregnant, TTC #1 right now

My concern is that i'm 15 stone (5 foot 9) and really really really don';t want to be heavier than that! My size 16s are getting tight <gulp>

Is it possible to stay the same weight in pregnancy (which is in effect loosing weight) so that even by the end of 3rd trimester I was still 15 stone?

Is this doable? I've heard that babies are like parasites in that any nutrition in your body goes to them first before you. So as long as i'm eating fruit veg etc it should be OK?

I'm not going to do anything drastic, I don't have the willpower but just cut out chocolate and increase how long I waddle walk on the treadmill for. Try and have more salad and less butter on my toast etc etc

MerylStrop Wed 24-Aug-11 11:38:23

In my third pregnancy I put on less than half a stone - just as well because I hadn't lost any much of the weight from my second baby. So, yes, it is possible.

I would try to up the exercise as much as possible before getting pregnant. And maybe try to get into outdoor walking and swimming and yoga and other pregnancy compatible exercise.

Bonsoir Wed 24-Aug-11 11:40:30

Yes, it is, and you should consult your GP or MW who will be happy to help you devise a diet that will provide optimal nutrition for your baby while allowing you to maintain a steady weight. But do not try to do this without help or you risk harming your growing baby.

HeidiHole Wed 24-Aug-11 11:41:09

Ah OK thank you very much for your replies!

Crosshair Wed 24-Aug-11 11:41:25

I think everyones different, some people lose weight due to extreme sickness and others put various amounts on at different stages.

Maybe try slimming world? You can still go when pregnant ect and it will make sure you're getting everything you need with your food groups.

Renaissance227 Wed 24-Aug-11 11:54:53

"*I've heard that babies are like parasites"* - Nice choice of words!!
Maybe would be a good idea to lose a bit of weight before you get pregnant?! Everyone is different when pregnant and everyone's weight changes in a different way during pregnancy.
As long as you eat healthily (for your little parasite!) and don't over eat if you can help it whilst pregnant then you should be ok.

MsChanandlerBong Wed 24-Aug-11 12:14:51

Non medical advice from someone that started off pregnancy about a stone heavier than I would have liked - it is A LOT easier to lose weight when not pregnant. My willpower has all but disappeared now that I am pregnant and hunger is a completely different ball game. For instance, before being pregnant, it is possible to push yourself and wait before you eat even if you feel a bit hungry (ie to avoid snacking). But whilst pregnant, if I do that I end up feeling really sick and dizzy - and stressed about harming the baby!

So if I were you, I would focus on healthy eating now whilst ttc as it definitely won't get any easier once you have conceived!!

Good luck!

GetOffOfMyCloud Wed 24-Aug-11 13:42:21

Try not to get focused on the actual weight gain though, I'm 30 weeks with DC1 and I asked my midwife as I weigh quite a bit more than I did, but the only bit of me that is physically bigger is the bump; my arms and legs are the same size as they were before I was pregnant. My midwife told me that some of the extra weight is your boobs getting heavier, your body laying down fat stores ready for breastfeeding (other than just on your boobs), then of course there is the weight of the baby, the placenta and the amniotic fluid.

Also, as MsBong said, don't underestimate just how hungry you could feel at times and it's completely different to normal hunger. You have to eat and now!! Not eating or only eating salad was just not an option!! We found this out the hard way smile

You might be better off trying to lose a little now, then eat healthily when you are pregnant, I've found it quite easy to be healthy now, I just remind myself that I should eat healthy food for the baby as well!

Good luck TTC

HeidiHole Wed 24-Aug-11 13:53:34

Thanks everyone, already trying to lose weight and lost 3/4 of a stone already so will be keeping up the gym obviously! Just nervous I suppose that it'll all go right back.

I suppose after the birth a lot of it is lost in terms of the weight that was made up of the baby and the placenta and extra blood

Renaissance don't get your knickers in a twist.

Medterms.com:

Parasite: An organism that lives in or on and takes its nourishment from another organism

I'm not going to hate my baby (when I get pregnant) and there is no need to call social services hmm and you can take your judgy pants off now!

I know it is not technically a parasite (seeing as its the same species as me) but i'm meaning HOW it acts in that it takes nutrients BEFORE the mother takes nutrients, and if there aren't enough nutrients it is to the detriment of the mother. Thank you though for the rest of your post and the advice, i'll try and take it all on board and keep up the weight loss!

SaulGood Wed 24-Aug-11 13:54:20

I second the suggestion to have a chat with a midwife. There are different expected average weight gains that depend upon your starting weight. It is of course possible to lose fat whilst pregnant whilst at the same time nurturing a perfectly healthy pregnancy.

But do always remember to listen to your body that little bit more. Because hunger in pregnancy really is a different beast. Now that I'm quite pregnant indeed, I can't feel hunger in the same way because my stomach is quite squashed and reflux/indigestion getting in the way. I only know I'm hungry when I suddenly feel faint, nauseous and dizzy. And I mean suddenly. I can be happily wandering around in a bubble dreaming of sneezing the baby out and in seconds need food and NOW. I've almost fainted a couple of times and have realised it's because I've not eaten for several hours and I'm carrying round a fully grown baby who is pinching my nutrients.

LoveInAColdClimate Wed 24-Aug-11 13:59:48

I don't think you have that much control over weight gain in pregnancy, TBH. I am 10 weeks and started out at 8 stone 10.5lb and am now 9 stone 3.5lb. That's half a stone in 10 weeks - less, really, as I was still my pre-pregnancy weight until (I think - haven't got it written in front of me) about 7 weeks. So, er, half a stone in 3 weeks, which written down sounds quite bad. I have been so hungry I have just grazed all the time, and I am normally never like that. Eating is the also only thing that slightly eases the nausea. Also no way I could face any exercise other than very gentle walking - I have been exhausted!

Thumbwitch Wed 24-Aug-11 14:05:26

Some people actually lose weight in pregnancy, but they tend to be the ones with hyperemesis gravidarum.
According to my old boss's midwifery textbook, a healthy weight to put on in pregnancy is 24lb, so less than 2 stone. If you are already overweight by more than that (which at 15st it sounds like you are) then it would be technically possible for you to put on very little weight but seriously, unless you get the drastic morning sickness, it's pretty unlikely I'd say.

And everybody's metabolism and response to hormones is different.

Cjax Wed 24-Aug-11 14:45:02

Until I was about 5 months pregnant I was losing weight/maintaining the weight I was before. Only had morning sickness for a couple of weeks so I think it was due to eating more healthily and no alcohol combined with the energy consumed by growing the baby. At 7 months I’ve now put on about 4kg and I’m starting to feel heavier by the day! I reckon you should check with your doctor too though.

pruney1977 Wed 24-Aug-11 14:49:24

I weighed 22st12 when I got pregnant. I'm now 23wks and yesterday morning weighed 22st7. The lowest I've gone down to since I've been pregnant is 22st4.5lb but that wasn't through trying to lose weight, I just didn't have as much of an appetite after I got pregnant and I'm eating a lot healthier (plus I stopped binge eating for the first time in my life, been trying for years but like with most eating disorders, they're hard to kick).
I agree with others that you can't push yourself to wait to eat when pregnant, when I need to eat now I need to eat but now I just can't eat as much (and don't want to) and that's why I think I lost some weight. I didn't have any morning sickness either, just bad acid.

kenobi Wed 24-Aug-11 16:08:43

I've literally just posted this elsewhere but thought you might find it useful, the book is very famous for helping women gain virtually no weight (other than baby, sac, boobs etc) in pregnancy but have very good births and healthy babies. I hated it for the very defensive reason that it made me feel bad blush but I know loads of people who swore by it.

"Hiya, this book is very good at low fat, high health recipes.
www.amazon.co.uk/Gentle-Birth-Method-Month-Month/dp/0007176848/ref=cm_lmf_tit_3

However - MASSIVE disclaimer – Gowri Motha does spend a lot of the book western mothers for putting on too much weight during pregnancy, I found it quite dispiriting.

But the recipes ARE very good, honest!"

kenobi Wed 24-Aug-11 16:09:11

That would be www.amazon.co.uk/Gentle-Birth-Method-Month-Month/dp/0007176848/ref=cm_lmf_tit_3!

HeidiHole Wed 24-Aug-11 17:33:41

ooh thanks will take a look at that book definitely

notlettingthefearshow Wed 24-Aug-11 22:39:21

I am overweight too and at 22 weeks have not gained anything yet, or maybe 1kg. I have to say, I am not eating less than usual, but obviously the baby needs the calories. Eating frequently is important and some high-calorie foods are very nutritious (meat, dairy products, avocados), so I wouldn't avoid them. I also prefer to mostly avoid certain diet products during pregnancy, eg diet drinks and anything else containing aspartame - but I know the ill effects are not proven. I have been told if you're already overweight, keep weight gain to a minimum. However, I have just started to get bigger and finally into maternity clothes! What a happy day. I have to say though, as someone who already had a tummy, those stretchy-topped maternity trousers really let it all hang out and are not flattering! I immediately looked pregnant and got told how pregnant I suddenly looked. Ladies, I had not put on one ounce!

madmomma Wed 24-Aug-11 23:03:25

I remember reading that one should aim for only a stone's gain if overweight. I was a bit overweight when I begun this pregnancy, and I vowed to eat as much as I want, but only of healthy foods; no junk. I haven't stuck to it and will probably gain 2 as per usual

pregnantmimi Thu 25-Aug-11 01:35:21

Hi I lost 3 stone before I got pregnant it took me 5 months to lose it and Im 23 weeks and put 2 back on I feel good about that as wouldnt want to diet during pregnancy but stopped me getting tooooo bigxx

msbuggywinkle Thu 25-Aug-11 08:08:18

I've never gained weight during pregnancy, am pregnant with DD3 now. IT is not something that I've aimed to do though, more a combination of bad morning sickness and going off any kind of sweets for the duration of pregnancy!

I think it should be perfectly possible for you to minimise weight gain with healthy eating and exercise and it would be great for you to start while TTC.

EJCH Thu 25-Aug-11 09:22:45

I would agree with other comments encouraging you to eat healthily and relax about trying to diet when you get pregnant. I presume that you may be concerned about keeping any extra weight on after the birth? From my own experience, I put on about a stone and half during my pregnancy but after breastfeeding DS1, I lost all the weight without any trouble or effort within 6 months. I was back in my jeans in four weeks - and I have never succeeded being on a diet past a week. I have just had my booking appointment for DC2 and when I went on the scales, I was half a stone lighter than when weighing in at the same time for my first.

Look after yourself, concentrate on being healthy and happy and relax about the scales. Your body will be going through a massive amount of change over the 9months of pregnancy and beyond.

All the best with conceiving smile

Renaissance227 Thu 25-Aug-11 09:56:48

Don't think anyone mentioned anything about social services and although I found your choice of words odd I CERTAINLY did NOT have my knickers in a twist!

I see from your profile that you already have children, so surely you know what you and your weight would possibly go through during pregnancy?!

Keep up the gym and good luck with conceiving!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now