Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How to restrict weight gain?

(17 Posts)
PeggyCarter Wed 24-Aug-11 10:54:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BooBooGlass Wed 24-Aug-11 10:58:26

Why on earth have they said you need a c section when you clearly don't? shock It is possible to lose weight while pregnant, particuarly if you start from a high BMI. Can you ask them for a referral to slimming world? I put on 5 stone with both of my pregnancies and ended up with a BMI of abot 32 I would guess, and I had perfectly straightforward natural deliveries, with SPD too. I can't see what difference it makes that I started from a healthy BMI, the end result is the same. I totally get what you're saying about carbs, that's why I put on so much weight as I got so nauseous both times it was pretty much only carby things like toast that helped. But don't do yourself down, only putting on 5 pounds at this stge, particuarly if you're eating a lot of carbs too, is really very good. In real terms you've lost weight.

Dilligaf81 Wed 24-Aug-11 11:00:03

Im going to be blunt your diet isnt healthy and you cannot be strict on portion control and be obese. Its time to get real, and by that I mean get a fresh pair of eyes to look at things.

Did your midwife offer any help or just tell you not to put on weight ?

Im sure ive read about an support group for overweight mothers to loose weight while pregnant and at a BMI of 34 you can do this without damaging your baby.

Try posting in the weight/diet forum as Ive read a lot of motivating storeies from mothers in your posistion who lost weight while expecting.

Does your Dr's surgery have a nutrionist - Or local gym have one your gp can refer you to.

I had SPD with 3 of my pregnancies and know the pain your going through with that but it must be a lot worse carrying extra weight.

Hope you get the birth you want, Im sorry for being harsh

PeggyCarter Wed 24-Aug-11 11:07:39

PeggyCarter Wed 24-Aug-11 11:12:59

neddle Wed 24-Aug-11 11:15:56

It is entirely possible to diet whilst pregnant, as long as you do it sensibly.

I've been attending Slimming World since before my pregnancy and it is approved by the Royal College of Midwives.

You'll still be able to eat carbs, just watch what you put on them. Eg lunch for me could be a jacket potato with baked beans, or tuna with extra light mayo.

Switch your bread to wholemeal, try to cut that down, and don't smother it with butter.

Muller Light yoghurts are great and help with calcium.

If you've got any questions, feel free to pm me ♥

GwendolineMaryLacey Wed 24-Aug-11 11:18:22

My BMI is way more than yours and was when I had DD. No mention at all was made of a cs purely for weight reasons.

I'm 21 weeks and would be delighted to lose weight but if I can maintain my current weight (which is, in effect, losing weight) then I'll be very happy with that.

I was also referred to a weight management clinic. They were supposed to contact me before 16 weeks but despite several reminders, nothing has materialised. So they were a lot of help!

Carbs are my downfall too. I can take or leave chocolate and cakes. The last few days I've really taken my diet in hand and have cut out all the crap and cut down on carbs and the type of carbs but taking care to make sure that it's a healthy diet and not my usual starvation attempt. I figure that as long as I ensure it's well balanced etc, I can afford to lose a bit.

MrsZB Wed 24-Aug-11 11:19:22

I have never heard that you would have a c section from being overweight!? You might want to check that??

Anyway, in my last pregnancy I gained about 3 1/2 stone. This time round I have gestational diabetes (found out at 28 week GTT). I am 37 weeks today and have gained in total a stone. Well bascially, from when I started on my diabetes diet I haven't gained any, the stone was prior to 28 weeks.

I eat very limited carbs, very, very limited sugar, no fruit, er smaller portions. Lots of cheese and nuts though so not low fat by any means, I don't feel hungry.

I thought that weight gain was sort of inevitable really, but IME it hasn't been this time round.

Not sure if that helps you at all but thought I would share my experience anyway!

MissRee Wed 24-Aug-11 11:25:52

Hi joyful! Is swimming an option for you? It has to be the safest and least stressful exercise on the joints that you can do smile

HarderToKidnap Wed 24-Aug-11 11:39:05

That is a really odd thing for your midwife to say. Are you definitely sure you understood? (sorry for patronising) We would usually do everything we could to AVOID a CS for someone who is overweight as the risk of post surgery complications is so much higher. And as you have already given birth once this seems extremely odd to the point of actually being a miscommunication.

PeggyCarter Wed 24-Aug-11 11:56:50

pruney1977 Wed 24-Aug-11 15:23:42

I'm 23wks and my bmi at booking in was 57. No-one has even mentioned my weight to me (they didn't even weigh me at the booking in session as they had no scales there so just took the weight I said I was the day before when I'd last weighed myself). I am going to a maternity and wellbeing clinic next week which is because I'm "on the heavy side" to discuss my risk factors and they might put me on aspirin (only found out what the clinic was for because I rang up and asked, even my doctor didn't know what it was!). I was 22st12lb at booking in and yesterday weighed 22st7lb. The lowest weight I've been in pregnancy is 22st4.5lb but I haven't dieted, I haven't had morning sickness, my appetite has just decreased and I've been eating a healthier diet and don't snack between meals.
Whether they never mentioned dieting specifically to me because I have PCOS and an underactive thyroid, I don't know but I was surprised after hearing some horror stories from people that weigh significantly less than me but still have a bmi of 30+.
Every medical person I've come into contact with has been very positive about my pregnancy and my health. I've been really well throughout the pregnancy, no morning sickness, no SPD or PGP, lots of energy (apart from 1st trimester) and blood pressure gets lower every time they measure it (last time is was 110/68, highest it's been is 124/78).
This is my first pregnancy so I don't know what my weight gain will be like later on but I weigh myself once or twice a week at the moment.

Tigresswoods Wed 24-Aug-11 15:27:34

DON'T CUT OUT MEALS!!!! This is the worst thing you can do as you will only make up for it another time. Eat healthy stuff (this does not mean just lettuce but a balanced meal) but eat a sensible portion size.

FGS.

kenobi Wed 24-Aug-11 16:02:37

Hiya, if you want carbs but are looking to reduce/maintain weight, this book is very good at low fat, high health recipes.
www.amazon.co.uk/Gentle-Birth-Method-Month-Month/dp/0007176848/ref=cm_lmf_tit_3

If you're short of cash I can send you my copy, PM me your address.

However - MASSIVE disclaimer – Gowri Motha does spend a lot of the book western mothers for putting on too much weight during pregnancy, I found it quite dispiriting.

But the recipes ARE very good, honest!

sleepevader Wed 24-Aug-11 16:08:13

I will speak to director of midwifes and ask if that truely is the case. I very much expect the midwife is out of order.

I have just been diagnosed with pregnancy related diabetes.

Am now following a low GI diet. Its one of the healthiest diets you can follow. Portion control on carbs and watch sugars.

Have a look at diabetes UK.

Im going to be rather blunt too about the money situation preventing you from swimming. If the household income is that stretched that you cant spare £2.50 a week then I think you need to tackle that too. Otherwise its a catch22 situation.

PeggyCarter Wed 24-Aug-11 16:55:11

kenobi Thu 25-Aug-11 09:08:59

£5.20 a session! That's a bluddy rip off. I live in a la di da part of London and it's only £3.60 round me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now