Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

False negative pregnancy test?

(5 Posts)
lulubelle1 Wed 24-Aug-11 10:41:28

Hello, I have just joined mumsnet today, as I was looking for advice. I stopped the combined pill in April this year, after being on it for several years, to try for my first pregnancy. I had the usual withdrawal bleed when I stopped in April, then had what I assume to be normal periods, approximately 30-32 days apart in May, June and July. In August, I had what can only be described as a "smudge" of pink, but around the time I think I was ovulating, and a further smudge 36 days post my last period in July. My last proper period was 18th July, and a clearblue pregnancy test was negative today, well over a week since I was due. Having never been pregnant before, I am not sure whether certain symptoms I am having could indicate that I am: bloatedness, nausea, tiredness.
Has anyone else experienced a false negative pregnancy test and still found out later they were pregnant? smile

Eviepoo Wed 24-Aug-11 11:25:14

It sonds like you could indeed be pregnant, but the only way to know for sure is to get a positive test.
When I was TTC I had a late period one month, I was convinced by day 34 (cycle is usually around 30 days) I was but no, but I had been travelling and that included flights to and from the states which I think may had affected by cycle.
The very next month I got a negative on day 29 (but I just knew inside I was PG) but 2 days later on day 31 I got my BFP.
I used a sensitive dipstick, the kind my work supplies to doctors (every test).

If I was you, I would buy a dipstick type test (usually much cheaper too) and either tomorrow or Friday morning first pee of day catch it in a old clean tub/cup/jug and use the dipstick. I think and I have heard other women on this forum agree that sometimes the POAS variety of tests are harder to master to get the right amount of pee on it (and they are so expensive too). You can't go wrong as long as you follow the dip instructions.

Good luck

feekerry Wed 24-Aug-11 11:25:47

hi

i was a bit similar in that i stopped the injection in january and had a period may and june but it was so all over the place i wouldn't have been able to tell you if i was ovulating. i took an expensive clear blue test when i thought i should have had my period in july and it was negative but i still felt bit odd, very hot sweaty!!! i left it a week and took another one and it was postivie and i was estimated at 3.5 to 4 weeks pregnant so when i took the first test it would have just been to early, probably only 3 weeks so maybe like me as you've not long come of the pill it would be difficult to tell when your period is/was actually due. leave it a few days and try again!!
good luck.x

Grumpla Wed 24-Aug-11 11:30:17

Yup. I had a negative test when pregnant with DS, about two or three days after my period was due. Then had minor bleed which I assumed was P, turned out not to be! I would keep testing, definitely easier to wee into cup then dip stick.

themightyskim Wed 24-Aug-11 12:45:08

me too, had two negative before I got a positive, one was WAY to early (i just knew and thought it would too) and the second one would have been about three days after my period was due, finally got a positive a week and a half after my predicted due date, I have long cycles so think that was my problem

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now