Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Please someone just give me a list....

(14 Posts)
MrsRV Tue 23-Aug-11 19:06:29

....just coming up to 12 weeks, have no idea what to buy and when for new baba/maternity/nursery... Totally baffled by the catalogues i picked up at Kids r us, boots and Mothercare... Can anyone give me some pointers? Dont want to end up buying loads we won't use!

MrsRV Tue 23-Aug-11 19:08:01

Oh... Ps... List so far:-

Pram, carrycot attachment and car seat
Cot bed
Chest of drawers
Stretchy jeans grin

TheOriginalFAB Tue 23-Aug-11 19:10:02

Muslins.
Nappies.
Top and tail bowl (or any plastic box would do).
Vests.
Baby grows.
Hat.
Coat.
Car seat.
Somewhere for baby to sleep.
Nursery bin.
Bedding.
Baby monitor.
Chocolate.

That is just a quick basic list. Others will be along to add the things I have missed out.

MrsRV Tue 23-Aug-11 19:19:12

Thanks... My favourite was chocolate. Currently munching my way through whole pack of chocolate fingers. I really haven't got a clue though... I have no idea what a nursery bin is...is that just a washing basket? Also what are Muslins for? I will NOT get stressed or overwhelmed and will learn these things early so I have lots plenty of time to sound like I know what I'm talking about when I actually get brave enough to buy...! grin

MrsRV Tue 23-Aug-11 19:20:25

Oh no.... Top and tail bowl!?!?! Help! Idiots guide required as well as list...sad

bigeyes Tue 23-Aug-11 19:23:25

Maternity bras & bigger pants - permission to buy over the belly 'bucket pants'
Breast pads (whether you BF or not)

Be careful of buying bigger toy/activity things I went overboard with DS and they barely use them and they take up a lot of space.
I am not buying a changing bag this time but a nice large handbag.

I here loads of great stuff said about ikea highchair value and easy clean doesnt take up much space, Im getting one of these this time (13 +6)

For you... for later on a selection of lovely creams and bubble bath, these things became my small pleasures when you cant do much else and need that soak in the bath! ..and some books for when you cant sleep at night towards the end I got through loads just easy reads.

I can't thing of any other baby stuff except weaning tubs dishes etc but there is loads of time to buy these later.

Lastly I am inversting in more maternity wear this time as you are in longer then you think aftr birth and last time I was so fed up with that bloomin black velour tracksuit, its all that was comfortable at the end. Im planning leggings and several tunic tops/dresses with accessories, as my jeans (which I dont have anymore?) got uncomfortable towards end - so pleased leggings are still around this time (even if not bang on trend!)

Happy shopping its one f the best bits, Im resisting as I cant remember whats in the garage, some of which maybe no good anymore...thats another story.

TheOriginalFAB Tue 23-Aug-11 19:35:50

Nursery bin - a bin for the nursery to put rubbish in.

Muslins - these are fantastic and you can use them for so many things, They wash really well and dry quickly. You use them for mopping up milk, pop over your shouldern when weaning, some people use them as nappy liners when using washables. (I did for my 3 and saved loads of money).

Top and tail bowl is a plastic contraption with 2 sections. One for clean water to wash baby and one for putting dirty cotton wool balls in. Or you can put water in both sides and use one for face and one for bottom.

HTH.

MrsRV Tue 23-Aug-11 19:45:12

Sorry.... What an idiot i truly am! Nursery bin... As in bin for nursery... I laughed out loud when I read your response! I'm not sure how you were so polite! grin

Fresh01 Tue 23-Aug-11 19:45:36

You need less than you think.

- 3 sets of bed linen for cot - sheet/waterproof mattress protector.
- A rocker/bouncer seat depending on your preference.
- A sling - great in and out of the house. In the early evenings of the first 12 weeks when they can be unsettled it is great for keeping baby close but having hands to do things. I have Baby Bjorn one with back support and love it but slings are very personal so try a few before you buy one. Think I worked out all I couldn't do was iron whilst wearing one as their feet dangled at the wrong height. But you can go to the loo, chop food for dinner and cook dinner etc.
- Muslins/cloth nappies can be used for lots of things. We have them on the change mat as they wee and poo for the first couple of months as soon as fresh air hits their bum! Also changemats can be cold to lie them on if plastic. Burp/puke cloths for after feeds, under their heads on play mats, in pram etc if they are prone to spitting up some of their feeds.
- I second leggings as being very comfy. Different maternity jeans are more comfy at different stages eg. over bump/under bump.
- Stretchy vests/singlet type things are great for layering under maternity clothes and wearing when breastfeeding instead of expensive maternity tops. Lift your normal top up and slide the vest down under the side you are feeding from, means your tummy remains covered when feeding.
- A small lamp on a dimmer for near where you will be feeding at night. You want enough light to feed and change a nappy but not enough to have you both wide awake.

Best advice we had on cots, from midwife doing parenting class, was to make them as boring as possible. Our beds aren't cluttered with things round and over them so why should the babies cot be. They are meant to be going there to sleep, hopefully : )

babycham42 Tue 23-Aug-11 19:48:21

MrsRV don"t worry I"ve never really worked out top and tail bowls and got by fine without for 2 DC"s!

BedHog Tue 23-Aug-11 21:09:30

I've never topped and tailed DS either! What we did find useful was a baby bath seat - a sort of reclined plastic chair that goes in your bath so you can have baths together without worrying about dropping a wet slippery baby.

Go to the NCT (National Childbirth Trust) website - they run nearly new sales of baby equipment, clothes, toys etc all round the country, so there's bound to be one near you. You'll save a fortune compared to buying everything new, and everything is in really good condition.

TheOriginalFAB Tue 23-Aug-11 21:36:18

I used a sponge that was baby sized with an indentation for the baby to lie in. Very comfy, easy to yse, much better than plastic seats, etc and no need for a baby bath.

LikeACandleButNotQuite Tue 23-Aug-11 21:43:35

I saw a sponge in a shop the other day with ARSE on one side and FACE on the other...DH did not look impressed when I suggested we buy it for the baby instead of a top-n-tail bowl blush

Fuzzywood Tue 23-Aug-11 21:45:13

As you'll be having a winter baby, something warm for going outside, snowsuit type thing. Buy second hand though as they are expensive. I only remembered this a couple of days before DS arrived in January. DD was a summer baby in my defence!
I find cellular blankets very useful (blankets with square holes in them basically) you'll find them in most baby shops. Don't worry about baby bath products such as potions and lotions as water will do just fine for a few months.
How are you planning on feeding? If formula you'll need bottles, sterilisers and the like. For breast feeding just feeding bras, breast pads and I'd recommend lansinoh cream (spelt something like that) for putting on sore nipples (really good for cracked skin on heels too grin).
Brain gone dead will think some more.
Oh congratulations by the way smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now