Talk

Advanced search

Sterilisers!!

(33 Posts)
MrsClawz Tue 23-Aug-11 16:41:40

Hi everyone!

I am currently looking to buy a steriliser for our first baby, due in November, but am getting stuck as there seems to be so many out there, all with their own pro's and cons!! It is all getting a bit confusing.
I have been looking at getting an electric steam steriliser as these seem to come highly recommended on all the websites I have searched through. But then there is which make to go for?
What is everyone else going for?
My other half seems to think that the microwave sterilisers are a waste of money as they use more energy and you can sterilise less in them!!?
Any advice would be gratefully received smile

Jen x

nunnie Tue 23-Aug-11 16:44:18

I had an electric one for my 1st and was happy with it, for my 2nd the electric one broke and there was a microwave one on offer so got that, and have been happy with that so this isn't helpful is it wink

Hoping the microwave one lasts for this one as it is only a few months old (stupidly short age gap).

Firawla Tue 23-Aug-11 16:45:11

get the one the same brand as whatever bottles you're going to have because then everything loads into it better
personally i found the microwave one best as it takes less space, (and can sterilise plenty in it, didnt notice it fitting less than steam or others?) so i stuck with that in the end. i had avent & tommee tippee steam ones before & they are really much the same ime apart from each fitting the different brand bottles better

MrsClawz Tue 23-Aug-11 17:00:07

I'm not sure which brand bottles I want to go for, as this is my first baby it's all a bit foreign to me! confused
All the brands what you to think that theirs is the best, just want an easy to use, reliable steriliser that doesn't cost the earth!
The microwave ones do look good for space saving, although I do have room for one on the kitchen worktop, just depends how cluttered you like the worktops I guess! The other half may change his mind if it takes up lots of room!!

nannyl Tue 23-Aug-11 17:06:49

i prefer microwave ones too.

a steriliser is like a kettle so id imagine a microwave one to be far more energy efficient.

also many microwave sterilisers can be used with cold water + milton too, so can be used during a power cut, and easier to take to other peoples houses, than an electric one.

As a nanny i have used all sorts, they are all much of a muchness IMO but a microwave one takes up less space on the work top (ie no space at all) as you can keep it in the microwave and just remove it if you need the microwave for something else. Agree with buying the same brand as your bottles if possible, but bear in mind most sterilisers will fit most bottles, just maybe not as perfectly and one less bottle at a time

MummyAbroad Tue 23-Aug-11 21:20:23

I had a steam one (donated from friend) and a microwave one (baby shower gift) and ended up using the microwave one more. It was an Avent one, but we ended up using Dr Brown's bottles, and yes it was a bit fiddly at times to make things fit, but nothing that wouldnt put me off doing the same again.

I liked the microwave one for being:
-quicker
-easier to store
-portable (small enough to take on holiday/peoples house etc)

My steam sterliser may have just been old, maybe newer ones are faster now? but speed did become a big issue.

I also liked using microwave steriliser bags (for just one bottle or dummies) and

mothercare steriliser bottles - were really handy.

harassedandherbug Tue 23-Aug-11 21:31:10

I had a microwave steriliser with dd, and will be getting one again. They're quick and don't take up loads of space.

I'm planning on getting the Tommee Tippee one when I see it on offer.

shuckleberryfinn Tue 23-Aug-11 21:35:18

I love my cold water sterilizer, I used my electric one twice and got sick of loading and unloading it and filling it with water and emptying water and waiting 8 minutes for the stuff I'd forgotten I needed right now. Cold water goes; wash, dunk it in, take it out when you need it. Change once a day. Plus it cost me a fiver on ebay...

nannyl Tue 23-Aug-11 21:36:25

harassed, asda sent me their baby and toddler leadlet yesturday and that one is on offer in the next baby and toddler event which i think starts on 30th augast

diddygirl Tue 23-Aug-11 21:41:39

I have the Avent steamer which I used for first baby and will use again next time with DC2.

Just a silly question - can a dishwasher be used instead?

cheekycurls Tue 23-Aug-11 21:59:03

I'm a young old fashioned gal LOVED my cold water sterilizer as shuckleberryfinn said change once a day bottles/dummies ready whenever u need them, it's cheap and milton is by far the best smell in the world other then new fresh babies!! grin

Valpollicella Tue 23-Aug-11 22:00:09

The Tommee Tippee one was fantastic afair

Always worth having a bit tupperware and some Milton as well

shuckleberryfinn Tue 23-Aug-11 22:41:21

Yes. Dishwashers are apparently also fine.

MummyAbroad Tue 23-Aug-11 22:52:53

I wouldnt trust my dishwasher, it often smells a bit minging. I guess you would have to be 100% certain that it is cleaned regularly and in good working order, to use it as your steriliser. Also it wouldnt have the advantage of (most) other sterilisers in that as long as you dont open the lid, everything stays sterilised until you need it.

nannyl Wed 24-Aug-11 12:00:58

dishwashers are fine so long as you use one of the hotter settings.

doing it on a 30C or low temperature setting will not sterilise

(but then im of the opinion that things dont need to be comepletley sterile for very long anyway, but thats a whole different debate!)

PrincessScrumpy Wed 24-Aug-11 12:31:41

I got a microwave one as I didn't want one cluttering up the shelf and I can take it with me to other people's houses (ie my parent's house when we visit).

I've also bought the Mam bottles which can be sterilised in a microwave on their own.

harassedandherbug Thu 25-Aug-11 10:13:59

Thanks for that nannyl! Will have a look next week.

I also love the smell of Milton, and they're handy to have too. It was cold water all the way with ds's that was the only option then!

I agree with nannyl too about things not being completely sterile for too long......

hubbahubster Thu 25-Aug-11 10:42:25

Another vote for tupperware and Milton here. Why spend precious pennies on fiddly sterilisers? Just change the solution once a day, perfect!

MrsClawz Thu 25-Aug-11 11:12:16

The microwabe steriliser on offer in the Asda baby event looks ok, have googled the specs for it. And at £10 can't grumble if it does the job.
With the Milton and tupperware method can you use the same solution all day to sterilise bottles etc, just change it each morning? Don't think I have anywhere safe to store it though, depends how big the container needs to be to put the solution in!?

JennyPiccolo Thu 25-Aug-11 11:19:21

I used a tommee tippee microwave one, though the avent one is a better design. I like the tt bottles better though. I didnt want an electric one cos they're huuuuge, but they work just as well. I hate the bleachy smell of milton, though i bought some just in case. It is, incidentally, very good for cleaning coffee machines.

KatyN Thu 25-Aug-11 16:42:45

I've got an electric one waiting for my LO's arrival.. the lady in the shop said she didn't like microwave ones because whilst they are good for space saving when you need to use your microwave it's a massive hassle to workout where to put it.. Our microwave is pretty inaccessible at the minute too so we thought we'd go with electric.
We went for Avent because it was on spec at MC and a friend had recommened their bottles (I can't remember why they were special though). I'm ashamed to say I didn't even think of cold sterilising.. they don't advertise that in the catalogues do they!!

kt

KatyN Thu 25-Aug-11 16:43:12

oh no now I remember.. the avent one had the smallest footprint for the worktop.. that's why we picked that one!

FannyBrawne Thu 25-Aug-11 16:47:01

If you are only putting breastmilk in the bottles, no need to sterilise- I never did.

ChunkyMonkeyMother Thu 25-Aug-11 19:40:03

We used the Doc Browns one, absoltely Fab - We used it for 12 months for the bottles as they have all those stupid fiddily bits and that was the best way to ensure they were thoroughly clean! Have kept it and intend to use it again in 5+ years but will not be using Doc Brown bottles that is for sure, perhaps get the one that matches your bottles, I'm sure whichever one you get you will make good use of as you will know no different iyswim?

My cousin used a plug in electric one and I just remember her DS screaming because it took an hour and was only mid-cycle! Atleast the micro one only takes up to 10 mins, we also used mini-micro-steri-boxes which came with dummies that DS wouldn't even take, they were fab for nipple shields and the occasional teat if I had dropped it or something stupid!

wigglesrock Thu 25-Aug-11 19:52:45

I got the Tommee Tippee microwave one for £10 in the last Asda "event" Its fab, I used a steam steriliser for dd1 and dd2 and broke one blush The microwave one has been a revelation to me (easy pleased) I can fit any wideneck bottle in it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now