Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How many symptoms of a uti do I need before they'll prescribe antibiotics?

(22 Posts)
SaulGood Tue 23-Aug-11 15:19:48

I've seen the midwife twice in the last couple of weeks and both times I've mentioned needing to wee very frequently despite not having a full bladder, burning on weeing, discoloured urine, low down bladder pain etc.

I've tested + for leucocytes and nitrites on diptests both times I've been.

The midwife has sent off a sample and a week later it's come back 'inconclusive' and they need to re-test. So it'll be at least Friday, if not Monday before the results are back again.

I'm not an ab junkie, I've taken them very few times in my life. One of the times was for a kidney infection caused by an untreated uti (also in pregnancy, I seem to only get utis when pg).

Would I be thoroughly out of order if I insisted on them treating it as a suspected uti with a generic ab? I know weeing a lot is normal for 36 weeks but I don't feel great, have bugs in my urine and it's the same symptoms as last time.

Is there anything else I can do? Am drinking lots, including plenty of cranberry juice but it's sore and it's causing lots of bh (which the midwife agreed was also symptomatic of a uti).

SaulGood Tue 23-Aug-11 15:20:50

Oh and they did repeat blood tests as my 28 week bloods went missing. My white blood count is slightly raised. There's an infection somewhere, surely?

mousymouse Tue 23-Aug-11 15:26:33

your mw should have referred you to a gp asap.
just make an appointment with the gp now to get the ABs. a uti can make your waters go...

Sargesaweyes Tue 23-Aug-11 15:28:16

I have had 2 urine infections this pregnancy and have had two lots of anti biotics. I would def make clear that you are concerned especially as you don't want to end up with a kidney Infection. How annoying for you! I'm sure you are already but drink cranberry juice avoid orange juice and wee as soon as you have the sensation.

Sargesaweyes Tue 23-Aug-11 15:30:05

Do as mousy says and make an emergency appointment with gp. You could have them by the end of the day.

Madlizzy Tue 23-Aug-11 15:30:15

You need to get that cleared up, as it can bring on labour. See the GP rather than the midwife.

SaulGood Tue 23-Aug-11 15:33:29

GP appointments are like hen's teeth. I'm on my way there now to drop off a sample. I'll ask about seeing a GP while I'm there. I wonder if the receptionist would leave a note explaining the situation and he can write a prescription when he gets a second. Surely, there's enough evidence of infection?

Madlizzy Tue 23-Aug-11 15:38:11

Tell the receptionist that you need an urgent prescription as your experiences mild contractions due to the infection. You need to start some antibiotics asap.

Sargesaweyes Tue 23-Aug-11 15:43:24

My docs is similar but have been pretty good with this kind of stuff whilst pregnant. If not ask if your hospital has an emergency gp (mine does) for out of hours. It shouldn't be something that is left.

plantsitter Tue 23-Aug-11 15:45:42

I have been prescribed ABs over the phone for a uti when pregnant. If the receptionist is a woman, make clear you're in pain as well as people tend to be quite sympathetic ime!

nunnie Tue 23-Aug-11 15:48:35

I ended up in hospital having IV antibiotics and paracetamol and pretty poorly due to a UTI which I didn't even know I had till it was too late.
Don't wait for the results, please phone and get an appointment with your GP ASAP.

lolajane2009 Tue 23-Aug-11 15:50:26

Tell the receptionist if you cant see a GP you'll go to A and E and tell them you are there because your GP won't see you. If they are anything like my hubby's GP an appointment suddenly becomes available. You cant leave this. I've had one in preg and although that one wasnt too bad, although caused bleeding, I had one pre preg that made me very ill.

SaulGood Tue 23-Aug-11 16:02:21

I've been to see them, clutched my bump a bit, mumbled about contraction like pains and they've booked me in to see the emergency gp at 5.50pm.

I'm glad you convinced me. I've been putting up with it for over a week and it's getting worse in increments. The braxton hicks are getting worse too but not sure if that's the uti or being 36 weeks pregnant.

Sargesaweyes Tue 23-Aug-11 16:06:44

Good!! Let us know when it's sorted.

Madlizzy Tue 23-Aug-11 16:09:51

They could very well be contractions. Sit back and do nothing except drink water until your appointment and be prepared for the possibility of having to go into hospital.

SaulGood Tue 23-Aug-11 16:12:39

Pretty sure they're not real contractions. They're braxton hicks. I'd put my last gingerbread man on it. There's frick all pattern to them, they stop if I sit still/have a bath, are worse when walking, vary vastly in length and make my bump rock hard.

I would NOT take a risk if I even remotely suspected it to be real contractions.

I'm Sitting. DH is Baking.

Madlizzy Tue 23-Aug-11 16:14:23

Good, just take care and fingers crossed you're at home tonight. DH baking sounds good. Cake is necessary when pregnant.

iWILLdothis Tue 23-Aug-11 17:14:08

I have a UTI at the mo too, which just will not shift, on 2nd course of ABs.
Try and drink a spoonful of bicarbonate of soda in a glass of milk/water....disgusting but helps with the burning & urgency of peeing. Also, I've been told NOT TO DRINK CRANBERRY juice while you have the UTI, rather afterwards to prevent recurrence. It is too acidic while you have the infection, rather drink soda water (I put diluting juice in mine to make it more drinkable!) When UTI has cleared, then drink cranberry juice or take cranberry tablets to prevent another UTI.
HTH

iWILLdothis Tue 23-Aug-11 17:15:22

oh...and v important.... take probiotic yoghurt/actimel/yakult to prevent thrush when you are on ABs

SaulGood Tue 23-Aug-11 18:17:30

Thank you iWILL. Soda water? That's what Enid Blyton's impish toys squirt out of a syphon at each other, yes? grin Sounds like you've been through the mill. I have taken abs about 3 times in my life. Every time ended up with thrush. I have yoghurt all ready and I do have some acidopholus but don't know if that's pregnancy friendly. Assume so but will look into it.

GP was utterly lovely. Was a bit surprised the midwife hadn't treated the uti immediately and did warn about preterm labour in untreated infections. I have a 7 day course of cefalexin I think it's called. He has sent off a sample to the lab to check exactly what's happening (his diptest showed an infection too) but I'm pleased you urged me to go. Hopefully the burn will be gone by the weekend (we're going away for a few days to sit on a beach in the rain).

iWILLdothis Tue 23-Aug-11 18:54:16

yup, soda water.....sorry! ugh. but I'm trying anything! Dunno about the impish toys and their antics with soda, but......
Hope the antibiotics work for you. Interesting to read about your BHs... I had them bad last night, was convinced I was going into labour (at only 31wks)....but they settled when I had a bath.
Good luck...and enjoy the beach in the rain confused (you don't happen to live in Ireland by any chance, do you?!)

SaulGood Wed 24-Aug-11 08:18:36

<looks out of window>

<notes lack of Irish charm>

Nope. I live in East Anglia. smile

Cefalexin, in case anybody is keeping score, tastes like sweaty jockstrap. And not in a good way.

My Mum was always prone to UTIs and when she couldn't shift them they'd put her on a low dose ab but for months on end. It was the only thing that worked. I just don't want to labour whilst also suffering with a UTI so am hoping the jockstrap capsules work.

Midwife (and the GP yesterday) both said that UTIs cause irritation setting off BHs. But obviously the GP advised that this can turn into preterm labour so take it very easy indeed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now