Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

im sorry to ask stupid questions......

(17 Posts)
themightyskim Mon 22-Aug-11 22:25:47

.................and I promise to make this my last for the week, but have just been chatting with my mum about my midwifes appointment, Im about 5+4 and im booked in in two and a half weeks, my mums just asked how I know that date, which basically ive got off a clear blue digital thingy and a bit of guestimation because I cant remember the date of my last period, anyway she has all but insisted that I need to go to the doctors because she thinks im further gone, however I had a negative last week, and clearblue saying 2-3 weeks, is it possible that im further along and didnt know it? has anyone else had this experience?

warthog Mon 22-Aug-11 22:27:14

i don't know, but when you have your nuchal scan at 13 weeks they will be able to work out your dates then.

i don't know what you'll achieve by going to doctors unless you try to get that scan a bit earlier?

themightyskim Mon 22-Aug-11 22:28:30

exactly my argument shes just ear bashed me within an inch of my life blush fugured if I dont ask I dint find out though and I like to arm myself against her arguments grin

CitizenOscar Mon 22-Aug-11 22:29:15

Why does she think you're further on than you think you are?

pruney1977 Mon 22-Aug-11 22:29:44

I don't think it makes a difference going to the doctor first. I went to the doctor first thinking she'd do a pregnancy test and she didn't, she just took my word for it (I then proceeded to do more tests because I thought I'd imagined it all or the one test I'd done was wrong) and told me to book in with the midwife. The only info she took was my last period and she worked out my due date (which was adjusted at the scan by 5 days). She might have took my BP and she also reduced my anti-depressants so I could wean off them.

lolajane2009 Mon 22-Aug-11 22:30:44

I'd ignore the clearblue and go with the dates you think as they are not terribly reliable tbh.

themightyskim Mon 22-Aug-11 22:31:26

Essentially mothers instinct, she says my shape has been changing and Ive been moaning about non existant smells and my hormones have been terrible for far longer than the date ive worked out for conception, sometimes I think she just likes winding me up grin oh and shes most offended with the system of waiting till your 9-10 weeks before seeing the midwife

warthog Mon 22-Aug-11 22:34:43

with each of my pregnancies i had totally different symptoms. so i can therefore say with total authoriteee that she is talking out her arse.

plus, if you think she's bad now, wait til the baby's here! grin

themightyskim Mon 22-Aug-11 22:40:21

ah warthog you and I clearly come from the same school of thought lmao I shall sleep easy now not thinking that I have just pickled my poor little child with all the alcohol ive consumed safe in the knowledge that I wasnt pregnant grin

warthog Mon 22-Aug-11 22:42:37

ah how many of us have got sozzled not realising we were preggers?? most of us i'm sure.

worry not a jot, and get some sleep smile

HPSource Tue 23-Aug-11 13:14:33

The only real reason to be concerned about dates at this stage is if you want to have the nuchal fold test at your first scan (and your hospital offers this test). I think there is a fairly small window in which this test can be done.
Also, I think the clear blue tests estimate the date of conception whereas the medical profession work off the estimated date of last period so a 2 - 3 weeks clear blue reading could be more like 4 - 5 weeks in the medical world.
I'm sure the midwife will run through all of this stuff with you at your booking in appointment though so I wouldn't worry about it. And FYI I had gone up a bra size and a dress size by 10 weeks - everyone's bodies respond differently to pregnancy, you may just start to notice the changes earlier than some.

whizzyrocket Tue 23-Aug-11 13:34:34

They won't do anything any differently even if you do get in touch with them so I wouldn't worry.

I did know the date of my last period but still at the scan was told that I'm due two weeks later than I thought I was.

harassedandherbug Tue 23-Aug-11 14:00:19

I agree with whizzyrocket.

I know the date of last af, I know when I ov'd and they still brought me forward 6 days at scan. Thing is, I'll want those 6 days back when I go over and they're talking about induction!!

warthog Tue 23-Aug-11 16:38:22

i had the same. i wasn't sure of the exact date of my last period even though we were trying. i just forgot!!

when i had the nuchal scan, the obstetrician told me that all foetuses develop at the same rate at this stage - 1 mm per day. so they can fairly accurately gauge how old it is.

Snakeears Tue 23-Aug-11 16:57:28

even if you are further along than you think than going to see the docs won't make much difference. I would just wait to go for your scan and they can give you a date then you'll have a nice surprise if you are further along, good luck and hope you're feeling well x

Oeisha Tue 23-Aug-11 22:07:42

If it's any help, now I'm pg with DC1 I've noticed that a lot of my pre-menstrual symptoms mirrored that or early pregnancy anyway. Especially things like shape (I get bloated pre-period) and taste changes, breasts swell a lot etc.
I'd stick with LMP. My ovulation test (did 'cos of irregualr periods) put me 2 weeks behind my LMP, but 10/12wk scan put me bang on 12 wks. I know I tend to ovulate multiple times in my cycle and thanks to some panicking by a gynea/hospital a hospital visit a few years back and an assumed diagnosis of PCOS& infertility, but when they put the scans next to oneanother, the cysts weren't the same ones and were totally 'healthy'.

themightyskim Tue 23-Aug-11 22:57:06

lol thanks Oeisha, today my hormones are clearly sleeping because im back to not being bothered lol, mums and hormones, bad bad mix smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now