Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

sickle cell and thalassaemia screening in early pregnancy

(3 Posts)
HanaP Mon 22-Aug-11 20:06:04

Hi everyone,
About two weeks ago I’ve found out I am pregnant. I am about 6weeks now. Ive received a letter from Whittington hospital with the date of my ante-natal scan which will be on 27th September. There is also booklet I should read.
They say (in that booklet) that I should have a sickle cell and thalassaemia screening before I am 10weeks. Do I need to take this test? How do i do that? Just call the hospital and say I would like to have this test?

This is my first pregnancy so everything is so new for me.

Thank you xx

ciwi Mon 22-Aug-11 20:24:43

Hi, it's just a blood test. They will do it with all your other tests at your booking appointment, some places it doesnt get done until 12 weeks and others they see you for booking around 8 weeksish x

HanaP Mon 22-Aug-11 20:32:07

Thank you very much.

I will then go there on 27th and get everything done. I will be 11weeks by then.
I am so glad I don’t need to go there before I am 10weeks. I don’t want to tell anything at work yet and they would start asking questions if I needed to go to see doctor so often.

Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now