Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

clexane injections

(12 Posts)
kat2504 Mon 22-Aug-11 20:01:01

I've had a rather eventful day! had a very early ultrasound (looking ok thankfully) at 6 weeks ish, and have been given clexane injections to use every evening at home.
I'm anxious about bolloxing up the injections, they did show me at the hospital of course, but I am very nervous about doing it to myself.
Just looking for reassurance from anyone else who is on the same or similar treatment and how its going for them.

PinkFondantFancy Tue 23-Aug-11 08:00:53

kat fantastic news on your BFP and the good ultrasound!! grin I injected clexane once a day from about 6 weeks until 34 weeks, I was v. nervous at first too but it soon becomes second nature and the good news is that it's v. difficult to mess it up. There's a few threads that have been around in the past with hints and tips on how to make it as easy as possible - I'll have a quick look and try and post some links, just didn't want to leave your message unanswered

rubyslippers Tue 23-Aug-11 08:18:59

It's hard to mess them up

The dose is all correctly measured so you just have to pinch and inject into your belly or thighs

Try doing it after a bath or shower - it does sting a little

Congrats on your PG

cheekycurls Tue 23-Aug-11 09:04:18

I had to have claxane while I was pregnant with my DD, u will get used to doing them I found just jabbing the needle fast help less time to think about it! the medicine inside dose sting a bit and my biggest tip is don't rub where u have just injected as u will have a lovely big bruise! also if ur doing it before bed and in ur thigh don't lay on that thigh to go asleep again u will have a big ugly bruise!!! I was black and blue till someone told me not to rub them! blush

mumatron Tue 23-Aug-11 09:13:42

Once you've done it a few times it will be like 2nd nature to you. I made my dp do mine for the first few weeks but after that I was ok by myself.

Congratulations and good luck with this pg.

kat2504 Tue 23-Aug-11 09:27:42

Thank yo for the tips, especially not rubbing it. Really hope that this will be what makes me have a baby at the end of it this time around.

cheekycurls Tue 23-Aug-11 09:54:29

it worked for me and having my DD I had 2 mc's before her and clexane was my wonder drug that held on to DD!! good luck with ur pregnancy smile

Ray81 Tue 23-Aug-11 10:39:50

Hi, i take Clexane too, i have to take through the whole pregnancy and 6 weeks after in my case. I had 5 Mc and then had DD who is 15 months and am pg again 15 weeks with DC3 it realy was and has been a wonder drug for me.

The injections will become second nature to you, and like someone said dont rub however i find i still get big bruises anyway and they ar unsightly but def worth it in the end.

Can i ask do you have a medical condition thats made them give you the jabs? i have Factor V Leiden and as i said these injections realy have worked.

kat2504 Tue 23-Aug-11 11:22:25

They think I may have the lupus anticoagulant antibody thing. My first test was positive, my second test was borderline but I was almost 5 weeks already when I had the second one done so they are assuming I am positive and treating me anyway because of the recurrent miscarriages.

AlpinePony Tue 23-Aug-11 11:32:52

You'll need to find somewhere a little 'podgy' blush - am not casting aspersions upon you but so much easier to do if you can squeeze together a little podge on thigh or tummy then you'll barely feel it going in. Squeeze gently because if you plunge too quickly it can be sore.

I've had to give myself billions of anti-coagulants after ops so know the score - plus mother is Type I.

kat2504 Tue 23-Aug-11 12:32:55

smile I don't have any difficulty finding podge on my tummy. I can pinch quite a lot more than an inch unfortunately. Oh well, at least now I have an advantage to being fat smile

Thumbwitch Tue 23-Aug-11 12:43:32

I'd definitely do your tummy rather than your thighs - my first pg I couldn't stand the thought of it going into my tum so made DH do it in my thighs (couldn't do my own jabs, nearly passed out when the anti-clog nurse showed me the needle! blush) but since having DS and a bit more spare flab on my tum, any time I fly I get the clexane into my tum.

It doesn't hurt initially, I found - you get an afterburn a couple of seconds later!

My thighs looked shocking by the end of my 1st pg - I had huge bruised shadows over both of them, but it faded fairly fast.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now