Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

old crib?

(9 Posts)
TeacupTempest Mon 22-Aug-11 17:42:44

My mum mentioned the other day that she was planning on excavating my old crib out of the attic where it has been stored in order to give it a clean for when my little one arrives.......

Recall various mentions of people being advised not to reuse old cribs and Moses baskets etc.

Can anyone enlighten me as to why? Is it just the mattress than should be avoided?

Ellypoo Mon 22-Aug-11 17:45:01

How lovely!
I think it's fine, it's just the mattresses that you should buy new - I think you can even get them made to measure (I hope so, I've got an old crib from my sister for our DC!!).
Just give it a good clean, and sterilise it, and it will be fine!! I think you can get sterilising wipes from Boots/Mothercare or somewhere like that!

G1nger Mon 22-Aug-11 17:45:26

Yes, it's the mattress. I've got my niece's old crib and changed the mattress. Nothing wrong with a bit of wood... Then again, you'll obviously be wanting to check out the quality of the crib when it's down from the attic.

drcrab Mon 22-Aug-11 17:46:44

Yes, it's the mattress - we got given a moses basket (new) for DS, and re-used it for DD (but changed mattress).

TeacupTempest Mon 22-Aug-11 18:34:14

Thanks smile

What exactly is the issue with mattresses? I ask as the crib, as I recall, has quite a lot of "material" round the edges, up the sides and I think it has a covered hood (ok sounds hideous now!).

The attic is very clean and dry.....its more of a dormer bedroom really.

drcrab Mon 22-Aug-11 18:39:03

something about bugs; or more importantly, the curvature of the spine (so if it's been used extensively before, it might already have the shape of previous inhabitor therefore be more uncomfy for baby).

G1nger Mon 22-Aug-11 18:43:44

I've heard from someone else on here that it's mould.

Teacup - It's a cot death prevention issue, I believe. Might be worth a bit of a Google. As for the other materials on the cot, presumably you can wash these? (which reminds me, that's another thing for me to do...)

TeacupTempest Mon 22-Aug-11 18:59:37

I shall do some research. We are actually intending to co-sleep so the crib would just be used at my parents as somewhere to put baby down if the need arises, for short spells during the day (and to keep mum happy).

grubbalo Mon 22-Aug-11 19:27:15

The other thing to watch out for - and is probably more of an issue with old cots, rather than cribs - is if there is any paint on there. Specifically, paint used to contain lead which you obviously wouldn't want a baby to chew on.

Other than that, I agree, how lovely - my nephew slept in his mum's old crib and I thought it was a really nice thing to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now